Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elku83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Hi All,

I have a Powerbook 12" 1.5Ghz laptop that died recently. ;(
I really enjoyed the Powerbook and it's demise has saddened me deeply. Even though the computer is not salvageable the screen is. So to commemorate my laptop I have decided to reuse the screen as a second monitor. One problem... I have no idea how to modify it for this purpose.

I have done some looking around online and have found a little bit of info but not enough. Has anyone tried this and have some wisdom to share...or better yet a guide for me to look through?

Thanks for any and all help :).

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Not doable. Been there, too many things to rig up and it will cost a fair bit. Besides you can get a 15in LCD panel for way cheaper.Sell it a eBay for parts. Or buy a logic board and fix it yourself.

The electronics that connects the graphics card uses LVDS, any DVI pinout needs some conversion chips and you need a power supply as well. To toggle screen brightness contrast also needs additional control electronics. Like I said, it is not feasible. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.