Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
My 1.86 SSD is being replaced by Apple because of a few issues. I spent a good bit of time getting everything all set up. What's the best way to bring over all the stuff to the new one? I can think of 2 possible ways:

1. Use time machine backup from the old one and restore to the new one?

2. Clone the old one to the new one?

I'm not sure what sort of problems I may run into doing things this way. I have a feeling something may not work because even though it's the same exact computer, it's got a different hardware id. Let me know which method works and you recommend. Thanks,

Kan-O-Z

SummerBoy

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
Mars
My 1.86 SSD is being replaced by Apple because of a few issues. I spent a good bit of time getting everything all set up. What's the best way to bring over all the stuff to the new one? I can think of 2 possible ways:

I'm not sure what sort of problems I may run into doing things this way. I have a feeling something may not work because even though it's the same exact computer, it's got a different hardware id. Let me know which method works and you recommend. Thanks,

Kan-O-Z

Google
s

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007

Rather not post if you are going to write useless **** like that.

I would either do a complete backup of your system using Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

The other option is to use a time machine backup. Then on your new computer, boot off the disk. Go to Utilities up the top and select "Restore from Time Machine Backup."

Good luck =)

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver

Kan-O-Z

Use an image backup utility to do a complete backup of your current system to an external USB drive. Boot your new system from the USB drive Copy the (backup) USB drive to the internal drive of the new system.

SuperDuper is free. Not sure about Carbon Copy Cloner.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Thanks guys. Sounds like both the time machine solution and cloning solution should work. I think I'll go the time machine route cause I'd like to use time machine anyways. Thanks,

Kan-O-Z

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.