PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Financier Guy Who Staged His Own Death by Plane Crash?

joepunk
Jan 14, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, they picked him up. (Was plane crash the best plan for death-staging?)

LINK (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28623108/)

QUINCY, Fla. - An investment manager who staged a plane crash to evade the law was barely conscious and muttered the word "die" when federal agents found him bleeding from a slashed wrist, an investigator said Wednesday.

U.S. Marshals apprehended Marcus Schrenker, 38, late Tuesday at a northern Florida campground two days after the amateur daredevil pilot apparently tried to fake his own death in a plane crash. Authorities believe he parachuted to the ground and later sped off on a motorcycle he had stashed in central Alabama.

dmr727
Jan 14, 2009, 02:29 PM
(Was plane crash the best plan for death-staging?)

Especially considering the plane could have hurt someone on the ground. :(

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
This is a weird story. Some of the details must be missing. For one, how did this guy plan on staging his own suicide when the wreckage of his airplane would be discovered without any trace of him in it?

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
This is a weird story. Some of the details must be missing. For one, how did this guy plan on staging his own suicide when the wreckage of his airplane would be discovered without any trace of him in it?

lol i guess the fighter jets that intercepted it couldnt see anyone in the plane as it flew down and crashed

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2009, 12:09 PM
lol i guess the fighter jets that intercepted it couldnt see anyone in the plane as it flew down and crashed

Yes. But even if the airplane had not been intercepted, it would have run out of fuel and crashed somewhere, at which point it would certainly be discovered that nobody was in it. Possibly he planned on fuel exhaustion occurring over the ocean and the airplane never being recovered. Like I said, something is missing here.

rk1228
Jan 15, 2009, 12:51 PM
Yes. But even if the airplane had not been intercepted, it would have run out of fuel and crashed somewhere, at which point it would certainly be discovered that nobody was in it. Possibly he planned on fuel exhaustion occurring over the ocean and the airplane never being recovered. Like I said, something is missing here.

Yes, our news report said the original plan was for the plane to crash into the sea where it would not be recovered quickly (if ever). With all his "careful" planning, the pilot forgot to make sure there was enough fuel on board.

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, our news report said the original plan was for the plane to crash into the sea where it would not be recovered quickly (if ever). With all his "careful" planning, the pilot forgot to make sure there was enough fuel on board.

Well he was obviously not in his right mind, but he did come within a few miles of ditching his airplane in the Gulf. A pretty small change in the forecasted winds aloft could have made the difference. He apparently would have been caught anyway, if he didn't kill himself first. Sad story.