Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Hello!

I have this Macbook here which is just under a year old (bought 23.1.2008) and I need to buy a Applecare for it. I understand that the Applecare codes can be bought from eBay and used internationally? (I live in Finland, EU, if it matters)

Do I need a revision specific applecare or can I use any "MacBook Applecare" ?

The reason I'm thinking of buying Applecare from eBay is that they sell for 130-180USD and the Applecare from local store here costs 380 EUROS!

Thanks!
-Tomi

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you buy the one for iBook, Macbook then you'll be fine.

The Powerbook, Macbook Pro will not work.

Boston Fan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Just make sure it is for the MacBook - it does not make a difference which version of the MacBook. Just make sure, as another poster already said, that it is not for the MBP.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I've bought four Applecare programs on portables from ebay in the last year, all from different sellers. In one case the purchase was for the shrink-wrapped box, and in the other three the seller emailed me the registration number (usually withing hours). I confess I was initially skeptical, but in all four cases, it went through flawlessly and Apple provided me with the registration certificate either by mailing it to me, or providing it by download. When I check my Applecare account at Apple, I see all the machines listed. I've never actually had to use Applecare, but my daughter has. Although they say you have to have the registration with you when you bring it in, she never has and they just look it up online to see that it's valid.

AFAIK, Applecare on all Mac portables is valid internationally.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I bought my MacBook one (it was about to expire in ten days) from this seller on eBay.

I can verify that I received the code from him within 24 hours. It worked and apple email me the certificate saying that my applecare is activated.

Oh and I paid £85

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/memorymate/

Have you checked lately on the status of your Applecare. I have heard that the original buyer (the one that holds the prove of purchase) can cancel it and get a refund.

It would be bad, if this is the reason that it is sold so cheap on eBay....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.