Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro with 250GB HD and I want to get an external hard drive to store my large video files. I already have a 1TB Time Capsule that I use to backup my laptop. I would like the external drive to be big, either 1TB or 1.5TB, so I don't believe the Time Capsule would be large enough to completely back up the laptop and the external drive. I also would like a drive that would power up/down depending on my laptop's wake/sleep status, so I don't always have to power it manually. I have several options:

1. Buy 750GB firewire external drive and have laptop and drive backup to 1TB Time Capsule. I'm not sure if Time Capsule allows multiple drives to backup to it. My concern though is if my drives get near full, the 1TB still won't be able to fully backup both drives as they cycle large files.

2. Buy 2 external hard drives, connect 1 directly to the laptop and 1 to the USB port on my Time Capsule. I'm wondering whether Time Machine could perform 2 simultaneous backup paths: A. laptop to Time Capsule; B- external drives to each other.

3. Connect a Raid 1 drive setup to USB port on Time Capsule via the Guardian Maximus:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/GM8U27H10G64/
This would be an elegant method that would enable redundancy in one place. Only concern is performance would be bottlenecked by USB 2.0 as I'm used to performance of Firewire 800 or Gigabit ethernet (I do video work)

Also, I've noticed some NAS storage enclosures but I'm hoping the Time Capsule is the best option for my needs.

I think option 3 is my best solution, but was just curious about other peoples' setups. Mac users never cease to amaze me with their creativity and innovation.

Thanks,
Alexander

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Looking for much the same

I asked a similar question and didn't get much of a response. Somewhat odd as this should be a common concern. I'm hardly an expert, but some thoughts . . .

The Guardian Maximus in conjunction with Time Capsule appears a good solution, although perhaps less than ideal. You would have redundancy, and if not adding more than 750GB of storage (to allow for the 250GB of your MacBook Pro) then all covered. As far as I know (and why I asked this in the first place) Time Capsule will automatically backup your MacBook Pro to itself and also associated drives (Guardian Maximus). As for additional stored media on Time Capsule, perhaps this has to be added to associated drives manually?

One caveat would be that all your eggs shouldn't be in one location, and if all this located in one room they in effect are. If the data absolutely has to be secure, then one drive with everything you care about should have removable media that could be stored remotely (such as in a fireproof safe, safety deposit box in a bank, etc.).

This one consideration alone could be reason to alter the setup. Maybe 1TB Time Capsule, with associated Guardian Maximus, and also another associated drive (with either its media or itself usually stored remotely). If backing up this third drive periodically it wouldn't be 100% backup, but probably enough so if all else lost. If opting for such a setup then perhaps one wouldn't require the redundancy of the Guardian Maximus, as in effect one already has three separate drives acting in that capacity.

I for one would welcome the comments of anyone else that has this all thought out, nailed down, with advice on specific hardware, etc.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
I agree, there should be a lot of people out there connecting external hard drives to their Airport Express/Time Capsule.

I think the Time Capsule will only backup to the connected USB drive if I assign it manually. I haven't had that need and haven't tried it, perhaps I should do a test.

I agree with the eggs in the basket theory. For me in terms of data loss, it's 90% more likely to have drive failure. I figure 10% or less chance of catastrophic fire/sprinklers/disaster for data loss. So in that case the Guardian Maximus would be a wise purchase.

Still I was considering having a drive stored elsewhere that I bring once a month to backup. Argh! I spend all this money for Time Capsule to ensure peace of mind, and still there's potential for data loss. Well, at least I'm trying to do something about it. Maybe one days I'll opt for one of those online backup solutions like Mozy or whatever to give me ultimate peace of mind.

Thanks idunn, you really put a lot of thought into my question and I appreciate your insight!

Best,
Alexander

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
H - I'm wondering what you ever did with all this? I'm sort of in a similar boat but don't have a TC, just an AEBS.

I'm still unclear if a RAID 1 like the OWC can be hooked up to the TC or AEBS or how that would work properly. That would be nice. If not, I guess I'll run a 1TB external direct to mac and a 1TB external direct to TC or AEBS. I like the concept of the AEBS but will wait for an update to hopefully 2TB. Yet I'm not sure I need that because I can apparently wirelessly backup to an external attached to the AEBS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.