PDA

View Full Version : Obama's 'Beast' of a car revealed

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2009, 05:26 AM

It looks like something out of a James Bond film.

But the presidential seal on the side marks this hulking limo out as something not even the superspy will be able to get his hands on.

These are the first pictures of the new armoured limousine which will be used to ferry Barack Obama around.

Nicknamed "The Beast", the Cadillac will make its debut on 20 January, as part of the inaugural parade.

It is traditional to show presidential cars off for the first time in this way. BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7829475.stm).

Could it possibly be any uglier?

Queso
Jan 15, 2009, 05:30 AM
As it's a Cadillac, I vote No :D

GorillaPaws
Jan 15, 2009, 07:46 AM
As it's a Cadillac, I vote No :D

That thing has the aesthetics of a waffle iron...

anim8or
Jan 15, 2009, 07:51 AM
Are you forgetting that part of the point of this is protection through intimidation....

I know i am no the only one who is more afraid of the huge, ugly, brutish bouncers who stand outside nightclubs more than the pansy boyishly good looking ones....

I vote YES!

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2009, 07:55 AM
Are you forgetting that part of the point of this is protection through intimidation....It's not intimidating though, it's just a fugly stretched Cadillac. Hideous!

JNB
Jan 15, 2009, 07:57 AM
It's a rolling command bunker, not really a Caddy, it just has the skin of one. Other than that, it's a truck chassis--mostly--and a whole lot of by-hand custom work. It barely seats two across (total of 5 pax plus driver, IIRC), gets horrific mileage, and will probably never roll 10K miles in its lifetime.

And you can't even roll down the "windows."

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2009, 08:04 AM
It's just a shame it couldn't look as cool as it almost certainly is.

arkitect
Jan 15, 2009, 08:09 AM
Huge doesn't have to be fugly…
And at least One can roll down One's windows. :p

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/Album/GarterDay/RoyalCar.jpg

Abstract
Jan 15, 2009, 08:54 AM
It barely seats two across (total of 5 pax plus driver, IIRC), gets horrific mileage, and will probably never roll 10K miles in its lifetime.

Well what do you expect? They've got to make space for all the bazookas and stuff.

rijiMacDij
Jan 15, 2009, 08:59 AM

Mmmmmmm.........Waffles.........

mpshay
Jan 15, 2009, 09:00 AM
If I had as many people hate me as I'm sure he will, I'd much rater ride around in that than something a little "sexier".

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2009, 09:01 AM
If I had as many people hate me as I'm sure he will, I'd much rater ride around in that than something a little "sexier".I'm the President, I'm demand both sexy and tank like abilities!

Lurchdubious
Jan 15, 2009, 09:02 AM
If I had as many people hate me as I'm sure he will, I'd much rater ride around in that than something a little "sexier".

Hahaha. Good call.

bassproguy07
Jan 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
Well what do you expect? They've got to make space for all the bazookas and stuff.

this is where all the weaponry is lol No wonder there are always suburbans behind the prez!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uaFNGY_ug

eddieiseddie
Jan 15, 2009, 09:08 AM
hmmm well i dont think its That ugly, but The BEAST is a very suitable name:)

Lord Blackadder
Jan 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hideous. The wheels look like the cheap plastic chrome wheel covers you can get for $20 at AutoZone. I wish Cadillac would stop increasing the size of it's grilles and badges every time the design a new car. It...just...looks...vulgar.

Still, the important part is that it can take a pretty big hit and keep rolling.

"Beast" is an inappropriate name though - they should call it the "Bailout Express".:rolleyes:

Consultant
Jan 15, 2009, 09:50 AM
It's a rolling command bunker, not really a Caddy, it just has the skin of one. Other than that, it's a truck chassis--mostly--and a whole lot of by-hand custom work. It barely seats two across (total of 5 pax plus driver, IIRC), gets horrific mileage, and will probably never roll 10K miles in its lifetime.

And you can't even roll down the "windows."

Actually it opens 3 inches on the driver window.

And room for President's own blood for emergencies. They probably have a flame thrower and other goodies they are not publicizing.

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2009, 09:52 AM

i think its kickass

caddies all the way

gauchogolfer
Jan 15, 2009, 09:56 AM
I think the grill could stand to be a little more ostentatious, otherwise it's beautiful.

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2009, 09:57 AM
i think an extended modded H1 or H2 would have been even cooler though

apsterling
Jan 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised it's not an armored Prius

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2009, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised it's not an armored PriusSurely you mean a stretched armoured Prius.

This I want to see.

quagmire
Jan 15, 2009, 10:16 AM
GM couldn't do much style wise considering what it is based off of.....

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8172/0198551lgdy0.jpg

joepunk
Jan 15, 2009, 10:23 AM
Here's a cut-a-way of it.

0-60 in 15 seconds
Top speed 60mph

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2009, 10:29 AM
^ very cool.

but still, very ugly.

oh hey, it's a diesel!

arkitect
Jan 15, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'm surprised it's not an armored Prius

Imagine the size of the batteries on that thing…

sushi
Jan 15, 2009, 10:58 AM
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7829475.stm).

I like it. Looks cool to me. :)

As someone who has flown the battle wagon folks, you have no idea. ;)

Nice pic. :)

YMark
Jan 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty certain that picture is fake, for several reasons.

- it is a British picture
- NO presidential limo is going to stop to pay a toll, what a joke
- the chauffeur is trained by the Secret Service not the CIA

notjustjay
Jan 15, 2009, 12:13 PM
What, no molecularly bonded shell? No turbo boost feature?

Also, it stores a bottle of the President's blood? You can do that??

joepunk
Jan 15, 2009, 12:44 PM
Where does the Nuclear football go?

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2009, 12:55 PM

0-60 in 15 seconds
Top speed 60mph

8 MPG!

Not bad, when you consider that it must weigh close to ten tons.

Peace
Jan 15, 2009, 01:04 PM
8 MPG!

Not bad, when you consider that it must weigh close to ten tons.

There goes Obama's desire to use hybrid cars eh ?.;)

Lord Blackadder
Jan 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
15 seconds to 60mph is also quick for a vehicle of that size.

The problem with making it a hybrid is that it's too heavy for current technology to produce something more efficient than a diesel engine - just imagine the battery pack a 20,000 pound hybrid would require! It would probably add a couple tons to the weight of the vehicle, and all that weight would destroy any economy gains from the hybrid drivetrain.

Maybe we could put road wheels on a diesel-electric locomotive. :rolleyes:

zelmo
Jan 15, 2009, 01:11 PM

Oh, it's certainly a hybrid...of a sort.:)

ChrisA
Jan 15, 2009, 01:20 PM

The problem with making it a hybrid is that it's too heavy for current technology to produce something more efficient than a diesel engine - just imagine the battery pack a 20,000 pound hybrid would require! It would probably add a couple tons to the weight of the vehicle

Almost all of the largest vehicles on Earth are hybrids

Diesel locomotives are hybrids. The diesel engines turn generators that drive electric motors via batteries. Atomic submarines are the same except they use stream turbines which turn the electric generators which power the electric engines. Those multi story tall dump trucks used in open pit coal mines are hybrid too. Diesel-hydraulic With diesel engine powering a hydraulic pump and then there is a hydrulic motor inside each wheel.

That said you are exactly correct. The battery packs in trains and submarines are huge, to large enough to crush the wheels of any car.

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2009, 01:23 PM

Oh, it's certainly a hybrid...of a sort.:)

Half car, half beast!

Lord Blackadder
Jan 15, 2009, 01:28 PM
There are many reasons to make a hybrid as well - the subs use them to reduce noise signature, Locomotives need the torque.

Years ago, American battleships made use of a "turbo-electric" hybrid propulsion system with electric motors for increased efficiency. Just like with today's hybrid cars, the biggest obstacle was the weight of the motors and batteries.

Maybe we could power the president's limo using Strom Thurmond's spinning coffin.

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2009, 02:01 PM
Maybe we could power the president's limo using Strom Thurmond's spinning coffin.

A perpetual motion machine! You'd better patent that idea in a hurry.

Consultant
Jan 15, 2009, 02:33 PM

The problem with making it a hybrid is that it's too heavy for current technology to produce something more efficient than a diesel engine - just imagine the battery pack a 20,000 pound hybrid would require! It would probably add a couple tons to the weight of the vehicle, and all that weight would destroy any economy gains from the hybrid drivetrain.

Maybe we could put road wheels on a diesel-electric locomotive. :rolleyes:

Introducing the iCar, the revolutionary vehicle with patented battery technology by Apple...

Complete with missles plus sharks with lasers.

Santa Rosa
Jan 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
Thats one car Jeremy Clarkson isn't going to get his hands on!! :D

twistedlegato
Jan 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thats one car Jeremy Clarkson isn't going to get his hands on!! :D

I can so see Top Gear bashing the hell out of the car :p

Santa Rosa
Jan 15, 2009, 04:02 PM

We may have found the second indestructible car after the Toyota, Top Gear went to find out....

That would be an awesome episode!! :D

Lord Blackadder
Jan 15, 2009, 05:17 PM
A perpetual motion machine! You'd better patent that idea in a hurry.

I'd love to see the patent description...

Dead redneck senator (a) is placed into coffin (b) attached to shaft (c). The presence of an African American president (d) causes a powerful rotation of the coffin (b), spinning shaft (c) connected to gearbox (e). The system has the added benefit of being unworkable so long as the president is not present in the vehicle.

BlackSnow
Jan 15, 2009, 09:09 PM
Introducing the iCar, the revolutionary vehicle with patented battery technology by Apple...

Complete with missles plus sharks with lasers.

I would buy it.

Thomas Veil
Jan 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
If you take away the Cadillac grille, it's not too bad-looking. It's the grille that really unbalances the whole front design.

And it seems to me it's smaller (shorter) than some of the rolling cruiseliners his predecessors have been driven in.

stevo8
Jan 15, 2009, 10:03 PM
I think it needs some 24" spinners.

puckhead193
Jan 15, 2009, 10:09 PM
Surely you mean a stretched armoured Prius.

This I want to see.

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/10/22/prius-limo.jpg

pfff. if i ever become president i want a lexus LS limo. :D

/thread :p

southerndoc
Jan 15, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty certain that picture is fake, for several reasons.

- it is a British picture
- NO presidential limo is going to stop to pay a toll, what a joke
- the chauffeur is trained by the Secret Service not the CIA

And it goes a lot faster than 60 mph. Ever seen a presidential motorcade traveling down the interstate? 90+ all the way. The ambulance that's about 20 vehicles back is struggling to keep up.

As far as it being called the Beast, the Secret Service calls all presidential limos are called the beast.

EricNau
Jan 15, 2009, 11:54 PM
At least it's not a Hummer.

Abstract
Jan 16, 2009, 02:16 AM
Ah, if Chuck Norris was a car.....

Counterfit
Jan 16, 2009, 04:51 AM
The pistons would be fists, and the wheels would be legs doing constant roundhouse kicks. It would do the 1/4 mile faster than a Top Fuel dragster, and cruise at Mach II. It would also pull 6 lateral Gs around a 200ft skidpad, and run a 600ft. slalom at 150mph. On top of that, it would get 1500mpg.

:D

runningman
Jan 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
I think it's missing spinners and ground effects.
Saw a chrysler town and country the other day with spinners quite impressive

MrSmith
Jan 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
Just as nobody cares what the Popemobile looks like, this bullet-stopper's looks are irrelevant.

YMark
Jan 16, 2009, 09:01 AM
Saw a chrysler town and country the other day with spinners quite impressive

LOL. There's not a car in the world that looks good with spinners.

GorillaPaws
Jan 16, 2009, 11:11 AM
Half car, half beast!

I'm thinking more:

Half beast, half waffle-maker hybrid. The secret service can park that thing on a steep incline and cook up a batch while the president's doing other things.

FX120
Jan 16, 2009, 12:26 PM
So much for a greener America...

Antares
Jan 16, 2009, 04:29 PM
Can anyone confirm the real specs? It's clear that what was posted is fake. Some of it is plausible...some of it isn't. Why would a British source have details on the presidential limo? And why would Obama need an armored limo anyway? I'm sure he could smile and B.S. his way out of any threatening situation.....kind of like how he got into office.

Consultant
Jan 16, 2009, 04:51 PM
Can anyone confirm the real specs? It's clear that what was posted is fake. Some of it is plausible...some of it isn't. Why would a British source have details on the presidential limo? And why would Obama need an armored limo anyway? I'm sure he could smile and B.S. his way out of any threatening situation.....kind of like how he got into office.

Are you kidding me?

Facts
1. All presidents since Kennedy assassination have armored cars.
2. He did not BS into office.
3. This is not the politics forum.

Sesshi
Jan 16, 2009, 05:28 PM

All Cadillacs do.

I saw that article, and if it's to be believed - I'm not sure it is - I'm surprised at the fairly 'regular' level of armouring. The kind of precautions seen on the PrezLimo can also be found among many other billionaires - indeed, many are far more elaborately protected.

Antares
Jan 16, 2009, 05:29 PM
Are you kidding me?

Well, sort of...the part about not needing an armored limo was a joke. However, the BS comment isn't.

Cadillacs are not ugly cars...but the large Cadillac logo on the grille is a bit much, I agree. I never liked that huge emblem on the Escalade... It throws off the looks of the vehicle...and it does, here, too. Also, maybe if the grille was black, it would look a bit better?

The presidential limo will always be made out of an American car. Can you imagine the negative revolt from the public if the President used a non-American car as his/her limo?

Sesshi
Jan 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
How about a non-American plane? For obvious political reasons I'm sure they'll go Boing at whatever cost, but Airbuses are currently being considered for the 2017 replacement. Marine One is undergoing similar political turmoil right now with a British-Italian helicopter.

Mind you, no-one does utterly tasteless yet presence-heavy 'getouttamyway' automotive styling like the 'mericans. In that way, I guess the limo will always be built in the US.

Teh Don Ditty
Jan 16, 2009, 07:06 PM

Obama would ride in his fist.

That thing is a beast. Impressive, but has a fugly Caddy grille.

Sesshi
Jan 16, 2009, 08:08 PM

Jesus be the engine.

yg17
Jan 16, 2009, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see The Stig do a lap in that :D

MacTraveller
Jan 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7829475.stm).

It certainly looks ugly, but remember that a black President needs a car that provides armored platings and maximum security. Lots of racists, Republicans, and Ku Klux Klansmen are trying to kill him in the next four years.

His car is OK to be ugly. So long as it provides tank-level security. JFK was stupid to be riding in a limo with an open top.

IJ Reilly
Jan 16, 2009, 11:26 PM
JFK was stupid to be riding in a limo with an open top.

Really?

Thomas Veil
Jan 17, 2009, 11:13 AM
And it goes a lot faster than 60 mph. Ever seen a presidential motorcade traveling down the interstate? 90+ all the way.And this is considered protecting the president? :confused:

Ah, if Chuck Norris was a car.....If Chuck Norris was a car, he'd be a lot more interesting.

IJ Reilly
Jan 17, 2009, 11:28 AM
If Chuck Norris was a car, he'd be a lot more interesting.

Either way, he's full of gas.

joepunk
Jan 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
Obama would ride in his fist.

A clutch fist at that.

I tried :o

KingYaba
Jan 17, 2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/10/22/prius-limo.jpg

What a PR nightmare that would be. Driving a foreign car? ;)

Counterfit
Jan 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
It certainly looks ugly, but remember that a black President needs a car that provides armored platings and maximum security. Lots of racists, Republicans, and Ku Klux Klansmen are trying to kill him in the next four years.

Like Consultant said, every presidential limo since JFK has been armored, but until now, they still looked like a normal Caddy limo.

Santa Rosa
Jan 18, 2009, 05:49 AM
When you think about it, its sad really that he has to have a car like that. Really says something about the state the world is in.

Mr. Giver '94
Jan 19, 2009, 02:15 AM
I would have wanted a more luxurious limo but I guess safety does come first. I hope this new 'Beast' holds up to its name because even as a Republican I would never want to see the President injured or killed because of crazy people who disagree with him. (or her)

garybUK
Jan 19, 2009, 07:58 AM
American car made heavier and bigger... probably still handles like a chav!

jpvaz
Jan 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
Waste of money.... what's wrong with the last presidential car?!? or is there a law that says you can't have 2 diferent presidents use the same car? On top of that it's ugly... (the car i mean)...

Counterfit
Jan 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
Waste of money.... what's wrong with the last presidential car?!? or is there a law that says you can't have 2 diferent presidents use the same car? On top of that it's ugly... (the car i mean)...

Bulletproof glass doesn't last forever. They probably get a new limo every other year or so.

John Jacob
Jan 19, 2009, 04:48 PM
Meh, boring. Obama should get an Airbus A380 as the next air force one. Now, THAT would be one beast of a machine. :eek:

mrbrown
Jan 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
Lots of racists, Republicans, and Ku Klux Klansmen are trying to kill him in the next four years.
Putting "Republicans" in the same line as the KKK and racists is downright insulting.

JFK was stupid to be riding in a limo with an open top.
Not really - that was pretty much normal practice for every President until JFK. Heck, during the last two inauguration parades, Bush actually got out and walked the last few miles of the parade, and that's a heck of a lot bigger security risk than an open top limo.

edesignuk
Jan 20, 2009, 02:30 AM
Meh, boring. Obama should get an Airbus A380 as the next air force one. Now, THAT would be one beast of a machine. :eek:Can you really see the day when the US President would have a Euro jet for Air Force One?

jpvaz
Jan 20, 2009, 03:47 AM
Bulletproof glass doesn't last forever. They probably get a new limo every other year or so.

Actually.... since bullet proof glass is just layers of polycarbonate material (usually Lexan, Tuffak or Cyrolon) laminated between ordinary glass, it should last forever if not used. Since it's the president car, it should have about 75mm thick bullet proof glass on it, and let me tell you, the glass i use in my house isn't bullet proof, isn't 75mm thick and i've had it in use for over 20 years... don't feel the need to replace it that often.... ;)

Journojulz
Jan 20, 2009, 06:12 AM
That sure is one fugly car!

But that is what happens when you let a company other than :apple: design things. :D

But as long as it is armoured - it might just stop that single bullet that stands between today and Civil War II: The rematch.

Must be worrying knowing that biggest threat to your country is random nutcases and gun laws that date back to the good old days of slavery and manifest destiny.

Heck Reagan got shot over a date with jodie foster!

Journojulz
Jan 20, 2009, 06:19 AM
Heck, during the last two inauguration parades, Bush actually got out and walked the last few miles of the parade, and that's a heck of a lot bigger security risk than an open top limo.

But a pretty safe bet none the less.

Look at the demographic of loner gun nuts with an itch they can't scratch....

Care to hazard a guess at the % that vote Democrat?

I'll wager its lower than 43's shoe size/IQ* :D

*(whichever is lower)

"Know the man - know the method" Lord Vetinari

notjustjay
Jan 20, 2009, 01:56 PM
More of the same:

http://www.canada.com/cars/story.html?id=1194579

mrbrown
Jan 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
Look at the demographic of loner gun nuts with an itch they can't scratch....

Care to hazard a guess at the % that vote Democrat?

About the same percentage that vote Republican.

SFStateStudent
Jan 20, 2009, 02:46 PM
Some updated pics of "USA 1" aka: "The Beast" apparently "this is how HE rolls!":eek:

Journojulz
Jan 21, 2009, 02:54 AM
About the same percentage that vote Republican.

"Loner gun nuts" are just as likely to vote Democrat?

Wow - They really MUST be nuts! :D

==========

Oh - Obama? Good call on Gitmo.

If America wants an all-inclusive resort in Cuba, they should pay like the rest of us.

Maybe its time for the rest of the world to start respecting "US Justice" again?

Next step - get rid of the death penalty - come join the civilised world. :)

alFR
Jan 21, 2009, 05:25 AM
The bit about storing bottles of his blood on board is clearly BS - first, stored blood only lasts about 40 days under ideal conditions (i.e. in a blood bank, not a car fridge) so you're trying to tell me they pull a couple of units from him once a month just in case? Please. Second, there are a lot of easier-to-store fluids that you can use for immediate resuscitation.

99MustangGTman
Jan 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
omg its soo slow haha

iAthena
Jan 22, 2009, 09:52 AM

I think I'd prefer a Maybach.

Journojulz
Jan 23, 2009, 02:47 AM
Ah Maybach - a telling reminder that us europeans can be just as guilty of wanton vulgarity as our friends in the colonies. :D

Bentley dear boy, that's the ticket.

ErikCLDR
Jan 23, 2009, 07:11 AM
I've got to say that that thing is pretty fugly. I don't understand why they gave it such a high roofline. The wheels are also pretty ugly too. The tires on it are monstrous.

That thing is like a bank safe on wheels. It probably only goes 60 because if the driver ever lost control the weight of that thing would be impossible to handle or it would tear itself apart.

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 08:35 AM
I've got to say that that thing is pretty fugly. I don't understand why they gave it such a high roofline. The wheels are also pretty ugly too. The tires on it are monstrous. That thing is like a bank safe on wheels. It probably only goes 60 because if the driver ever lost control the weight of that thing would be impossible to handle or it would tear itself apart.

The tires and rims are monstrous b/c Obama wanted some 44" rims to pimp his ride... LOL :D

edesignuk
Jan 23, 2009, 08:38 AM
The tires and rims are monstrous b/c Obama wanted some 44" rims to pimp his ride... LOL :DI hope you aren't culturally stereotyping :p

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
I hope you aren't culturally stereotyping :p

Oh not at all (I'm pretty sure there's a TV show out called "Pimp My Ride"); my son has 22" rims on his SUV. He thinks they're Boss. Most of today's youth like to "pimp" their phones/iPhones and other electronic gear, so I'm pretty sure the cultural stereotyping associated with your implicative question has been crossed many times over..:p

rt_brained
Jan 23, 2009, 10:31 AM
The wheels look like the cheap plastic chrome wheel covers you can get for $20 at AutoZone.
No, those are the $75 bullet proof wheel covers from AutoZone.

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 10:54 AM
No, those are the $75 bullet proof wheel covers from AutoZone.

Oh, you've got to be $hi%%in' me! I thought they were spinners. Too funny...:D

ikermalli
Jan 23, 2009, 11:13 AM
lmfao
He should have armored and bullet-proofed a Benz S550 then stretched, then he'd officially the most "fresh" president

suprdave1
Jan 27, 2009, 12:16 PM
well, at least it's not going to sit by and only get used for parades:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/File-IKEA-Washington2C-DC/photo//090122/photos_ts_afp/a172e73f067820ad4b5d87160afe7374/;_ylt=Ahc5RfXaeWX1VhLTgBBtKHUDW7oF

too bad they didn't spring for the luggage rack option.

just because you're leading the country doesn't mean you can't move your stuff around like a college student!

okay so maybe that's not exactly obama's limo, but still......

Kwill
Jan 27, 2009, 01:18 PM
Perhaps the "Beast" is just the family car. For personal excursions the Pres may slip into the massive Cadillac World Thorium Fuel (http://i.gizmodo.com/5131414/the-cadillac-wtf-all-new-for-the-year-8000) with his BarackBerry as he rolls through Gotham City.