Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtrain73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Loving my ATV, and really glad they included wireless N for easy connectivity without running wires.

I have some other components that I would like to connect and was thinking it would be great if you could share the wireless connection from the ATV with the other components (that are not wireless).

Is there a way to do this like you can with a mac? The ethernet port is just sitting there, is there a way to make it active?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Loving my ATV, and really glad they included wireless N for easy connectivity without running wires.

I have some other components that I would like to connect and was thinking it would be great if you could share the wireless connection from the ATV with the other components (that are not wireless).

Is there a way to do this like you can with a mac? The ethernet port is just sitting there, is there a way to make it active?

I don't know whether you can hack the ATV to do what you want with the ethernet port , but you can achieve the same result with an Airport Express unit ($99), which now supports wireless n.

jtrain73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Yes, but that is an additional $100 to spend :(

A hack would be free. Really they should enable this as a feature.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Yes, but that is an additional $100 to spend :(

A hack would be free. Really they should enable this as a feature.

I agree. Especially as the n band has such limited range compared to g. You'd think that any device capable of extending a wireless network should just go ahead and do it by default. But then you might not have need for a $100 Airport Express...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.