Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So how do you guys think Cook is going to do running Apple?
I for one think he will do great and that Jobs has taught him a lot.
Besides, all major operations still go through Jobs.

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
I think He will do really well.....maybe even better than jobs. We do need some change in a lot of things apple, for one a price drop on some of the computers would be great. The iphone could use a revamp, I love my 3G but it is pretty much the same as the original with a plastic back and a different network. I would like more features!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think you people need to shift focus off where the guy posted this and turn your attention to what the topic of conversation really is. Fact is, the guy googled something and shared it. If he were to say "who is Tim Cook" iParis, no doubt you would have told him to google it. There's no way to win here. And your argument "I'm more active than you" is fruitless. Quality over quantity my dear.

OP: I agree with you and based on what can be found, Tim Cook appears to be up for the job. However, the bigger issue will be the legacy that he must fulfill and the employee loyalty he must gain. While the employees may have been fine with him in his previous role, this is a whole new ball of wax. As a working professional I can say that there are some people who make great executives, but if they were to step up as CEO I would head for the hills.

Edit:
hence why i love using this from time to time to get the point across subtly
I'm so using this. ;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I think He will do really well.....maybe even better than jobs. We do need some change in a lot of things apple, for one a price drop on some of the computers would be great. The iphone could use a revamp, I love my 3G but it is pretty much the same as the original with a plastic back and a different network. I would like more features!

im still an advocate of opening up osx. that would make my day

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I think you people need to shift focus off where the guy posted this and turn your attention to what the topic of conversation really is. Fact is, the guy googled something and shared it. If he were to say "who is Tim Cook" iParis, no doubt you would have told him to google it. There's no way to win here. And your argument "I'm more active than you" is fruitless. Quality over quantity my dear.

I know, I was just stating that because he said I have no right to be here.

im still an advocate of opening up osx. that would make my day

Do you mean opening it up to where it also works on PC's?
The only problem I have with that is I don't really think people would keep buying Macs anymore if OS X were to be opened.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Timothy D. Cook
Chief Operating Officer
Apple

Timothy D. Cook is Apple’s chief operating officer and reports to Apple's CEO. Cook is responsible for all of the company's worldwide sales and operations, including end-to-end management of Apple’s supply chain, sales activities, and service and support in all markets and countries. He also heads Apple's Macintosh division and plays a key role in the continued development of strategic reseller and supplier relationships, ensuring flexibility in response to an increasingly demanding marketplace.

Before joining Apple, Cook was vice president of Corporate Materials for Compaq and was responsible for procuring and managing all of Compaq’s product inventory. Previous to his work at Compaq, Cook was the chief operating officer of the Reseller Division at Intelligent Electronics.

Cook also spent 12 years with IBM, most recently as director of North American Fulfillment where he led manufacturing and distribution functions for IBM’s Personal Computer Company in North and Latin America.

Cook earned an M.B.A. from Duke University, where he was a Fuqua Scholar, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering from Auburn University.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/cook.html

Tim Cook: A Steady Go-To Guide for Apple

As Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs steps away from the helm for a six-month medical leave, the eyes of investors, customers, and employees are intently focused on his No. 2, Chief Operating Officer Timothy D. Cook.

Cook, who will handle day-to-day operations while Jobs is away, is known as a skilled manager who makes up in operational chops what he lacks in marketing and design savvy. There's little question Jobs will be missed. Yet Cook, who ran Apple in 2004 when Jobs was recuperating from cancer surgery, is widely expected to guide the company with a steady hand.

A veteran of IBM (IBM) and Compaq Computer before it was bought by Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Cook joined Apple (AAPL) in 1998 just as the brightly colored iMac PCs were breathing life back into Apple's sales. Jobs, himself carrying the "interim CEO" title he'd held since 1997, praised Cook's "rare combination of experience." At the time, Cook carried the title of senior vice-president of worldwide operations.

Eleven years later, as COO, Cook is an indispensable member of Apple's corporate bench. Where Steve Jobs is Apple's public face and its final arbiter of product design and positioning, Cook is responsible for day-to-day operations, outside observers and former employees say. "Steve is the visionary," says one former employee who asked not to be named. "Tim is the guy who makes the trains run on time."

"GETS THINGS DONE"
Well-liked by employees, the 48-year-old Cook is in ways the opposite of Jobs. Where Jobs is variously described as volatile, mercurial, and hard to please, Cook is usually described as soft-spoken, calm, and less prone to raise his voice in tense situations. "He's one of those guys who just gets things done," says Tim Bajarin, head of Creative Strategies, a tech consulting firm. "But he's been with Steve long enough that he knows how he thinks. He's been working for years with this steady mantra of, 'What would Steve do?' And then whatever he decides, he puts solid business principles behind it."

That was certainly the case early on when Cook helped reverse the company's financial fortunes. The fiscal year before he arrived, Apple had reported a $1 billion loss on sales of $7 billion, a drop of more than $2.8 billion from the year earlier. One of the company's biggest problems was managing its supply chain and product inventory. With sales dropping, Apple had ordered more components than it needed. It also had a bad habit of keeping more computers on hand than it could sell quickly, typically a month's worth. Cook cut the inventory kept on hand to about a week's worth, slashing costs, while at the same time tightening distribution channel arrangements.

By fiscal 1999 these changes had helped push Apple's gross margins up to 28% from 19% in 1997, and the company had swung to a $600 million profit even as sales slumped further. "Cook dramatically cleaned up the balance sheet," says Charles Wolf, analyst at Needham & Co. in New York. "He has been crucial to managing these things, and they translate directly into higher gross margins."

OPERATIONAL STAR POWER
Cook was named COO in 2005. At the time, Jon Rubinstein, then senior vice president of the iPod division, departed and went on to become chairman at Palm (PALM). Cook is now responsible for worldwide sales, operations, service, and support in all markets and countries. He is also the head of the Macintosh computer division.

For all his operational star power, Cook isn't the master of marketing and products that Jobs is. In Jobs' absence, product design decisions will likely fall to Jonathan Ive, senior vice-president of industrial design, the man behind the design of the iMac, the iPod, and many other products. "When it comes to design, they most often defer to Ive," Bajarin says.

But don't underestimate Cook, cautions Gartner (IT) analyst Mike McGuire. Having spent more than a decade in Jobs' closely guarded executive circle, Cook will have learned more than a thing or two about how to launch successful products. "I don't know Cook that well, but my guess is he isn't just an ops guy," McGuire says. "I don't think you survive at Apple as just an operations guy. I don't think you get let into the inner sanctum as just an operations guy."

PRODUCTS UPDATES SET
In any case, many of the company's planned product releases are likely fully teed up by now and will probably come off without a hitch, even with Jobs sidelined. The next upgrade of the Macintosh operating system, code-named Snow Leopard, is expected sometime this year. There's also the prospect of an update to the iPhone, introduced in 2007 and upgraded in 2008. Some analysts expect a third iteration, a smaller version, sometime in 2009. Other products like the iMac desktop computer and the MacBook line of notebooks, which were updated recently, might be due for incremental improvements, but no major revisions.

"They have a very strong product lineup and a good position in the market," says Michael Capellas, CEO of First Data and former COO of HP. "The challenge is how to deal with the economy as consumer spending drops off."

Jobs is due back in June. In the interim, analysts and other observers say, Apple is in capable hands. "There is no question he's the right guy for the job," says Piper Jaffray (PJC) analyst Gene Munster.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2009/tc20090114_965277.htm

It would appear that Mr. Cook is an accomplished "manager".

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
if you are a true apple fan you should know this without having to google it.

Oh I'm an apple 'fan', I just didn't know much about Tim Cook, therefore I'm still learning about Apple and kinda new to the scene. I wasn't aware you couldn't be a fan of a product if you didn't know their 20+ year history from past. Mah bad I guess.

Hey I'm learning something new about Apple everyday and I enjoy this site. I may catch up eventually. :D

Anyways, Tim Cook seems like a winner if he were to take over permenantly if you ask me. I mean I want Steve to make a comeback and all but I think regardless of what happens we'll be allright. ;)

(Thanks for accepting my apology iParis, I'm grumpy and I need more coffee!) >=/

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
Oh I'm an apple 'fan', I just didn't know much about Tim Cook, therefore I'm still learning about Apple and kinda new to the scene. I wasn't aware you couldn't be a fan of a product if you didn't know their 20+ year history from past. Mah bad I guess.

Hey I'm learning something new about Apple everyday and I enjoy this site. I may catch up eventually. :D

Anyways, Tim Cook seems like a winner if he were to take over permenantly if you ask me. I mean I want Steve to make a comeback and all but I think regardless of what happens we'll be allright. ;)

(Thanks for accepting my apology iParis, I'm grumpy and I need more coffee!) >=/

espresso works wonders for grumpiness!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

I was in your place before.
Before I joined MacRumors I didn't know much about Apple, now I know most of what there is to know. Lol.

That or select vendors

I don't know, people would still buy apple hardware for the design.

I would only want HP, only of the only PC's companies I don't despise.

Well let's look at this scenario,
Average person that knows a little about computers but not a whole lot goes into Best Buy to buy a computer.
Buyer: Hello, I'm looking to buy a computer
Best Buy Associate: Ok, well we have this $499 with top of the line specs and this $1,199 computer with average specs.
Buyer: What's the difference?
Best Buy Associate: Well, the specs but the cheaper one is made out of plastic and the expensive one is aluminum. They run the same OS.
Buyer: Hahaha. I think I'll go with the cheap one.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
I hope he is not a SJ pt.2. He may end up being the CEO and I rather see someone totally different from SJ take over and see what they can do.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
from what i have heard and read of Cook, he is a strong leader and demanding, just as jobs is, from the people below him. which will certainly be needed if he ends up stepping up as CEO in the future.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
from what i have heard and read of Cook, he is a strong leader and demanding, just as jobs is, from the people below him. which will certainly be needed if he ends up stepping up as CEO in the future.

That's great and all but how is he in terms of getting some of those innovative products out there? Would like to see something different come from Apple rather then just thin things. I know the CEO doesn't design the stuff but they are the ones that determine what goes out in the market.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
That's great and all but how is he in terms of getting some of those innovative products out there? Would like to see something different come from Apple rather then just thin things. I know the CEO doesn't design the stuff but they are the ones that determine what goes out in the market.

Surely that's what Jonathan Ive and his Industrial Design colleagues are at Apple to do?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Surely that's what Jonathan Ive and his Industrial Design colleagues are at Apple to do?

exactly. the CEO and top end executives arent the creative forces behind the products. the design team are. perhaps its time for some new blood, perhaps not. but Jobs/Cook/etc have no bearing on that as much as Ive does.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
exactly. the CEO and top end executives arent the creative forces behind the products. the design team are. perhaps its time for some new blood, perhaps not. but Jobs/Cook/etc have no bearing on that as much as Ive does.
I know they aren't but who decides what goes into production? Ive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.