Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Ok, this is really bugging me. I went ahead and spent the $20 for an internal modem in my G5 so I could receive faxes once in a while, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I went to the Print and Fax tab of System Prefs, turned fax receiving on (set to answer after 1 ring), plugged the phone cord in, and send myself a fax (from a hardware fax). Computer answered, but after a while the fax machine just gives up and says the send failed. Not so much as a twich from the Mac, though it definitely answered.

I ran a permissions repair, and it fixed some permissions on the shared faxes folder, so I thought that might be the problem. Tried again, no luck.

The Mac is definitely picking up, and when you call in it sounds like it's making some fax tones, but it's not working right. The phone line should be clean enough for a modem (used to use it for one), so anybody got any suggestions of what I could try?

There's so little to adjust, I don't even have anything to fiddle with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.