Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your MacBook your only Mac/computer?

• Yes, I only have the MacBook and it's my primary Mac/computer

Votes: 147 70.7%
  • Yes, but I would like to buy a desktop Mac

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • No, I also have a desktop running Mac

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • No, I also have a desktop running Windows

Votes: 20 9.6%

• Total voters

FreqFlyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Hello!

I was just wondering if any of you are using the MacBook as your only Mac or computer? Interesting to hear about the setup to the people around here :)

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
yeah i use this as my primary machine. i got a pretty weak set up atm. but its nice to be able to just take this to school and then use it there and at home.

soon hopefully, i can get a 20" and hook it up to this while im at home.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've had my MB since October and it's my main/only computer. It does everything i need it to do. I don't even have an external monitor because the 13" has been good enough so far. I wanted to have something very mobile and still full of features and i went from a 15" Toshiba to the 13 MB and I couldn't be happier!!

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I would venture to say most people who own Macbooks use them as their primary computers. Desktops are so 4 years ago.

I occasionally use mine with an external monitor and mouse, it's not necessary. As has been mentioned before, it's nice to have everything in one place and not worry about syncing.

Reactions: jagooch

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
my macbook is my main computer :) i use it 99% of the time. I have an old XP desktop downstair, for some reason :S

Was thinking bout chucking the xp and getting an iMac ? sound good ? ;) lol

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I use my AluMacbook exclusively. I keep my P4 Dell around for any just-in-case situations.

As far as setup, its just the laptop, and a connection to the TV/speaker system for video every now and then

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
my macbook is my main computer :) i use it 99% of the time. I have an old XP desktop downstair, for some reason :S

haha i have an XP desktop too, and i am thinkin of throwin it out and getting an iMac too, how strange :p

oh yea and i use my mighty mouse with my macbook too, naturally

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah I have a MBA. I have bootcamp running XP and I use an old 30GB ipod for extra storage of work files. I find 80GB a tad small am considering upgrading to MB or MBP.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Once I got the Macbook all my other machines have sat unused. I keep this thing hooked up to an external monitor quite a bit though.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I use my MBP as my main computer (it is my only mac too). I have an external HD that I hook into for backups every morning at lab. In the evenings I take my MBP home with me and use it on a lap desk. The only other computer I have is a linux box I use as a home sever/media center. It seems to work pretty well for me.

thewizard.mac

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I have the white MacBook a year now and I use it all day it's really nice and convinient although I can't say that I wouldn't love an iMac :eek:

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Yup - my alu macbook is my main computer (i've also got an aspire one for throwing in the bag when I don't think I'll actually need a computer, and an apple tv as my media server). Stuck a 500gb drive and 2gb memory in there, and we're away! Great computer, doesn't lag on very much - I don't game on it.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
Yes I also use my MacBook as my only computer. It's just easier, to have all emails and documents on just one computer. This way I can create something at college, work on it on the train back home and at home I can keep up where I left.

I upgraded the HD to 320 GB, so I have just enough storage space for all my music, photos and documents.

I don't use an external monitor, the 13 inch screen is just right for everything I am doing. Except for programming a second display would be good. But I am not programming that much. And I rarely do anyting video related.

jrrdnx

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2008
Indiana
My MBP is my first and only Mac. Definitely all I will be using from now on. My wife even loves it so much she's saving up her money to get the MBA.

While the iMac would be awesome, I found another use for my old XP desktop. I turned it into a home media server. I had a RAID card lying around and a friend gave me a small 10GB Seagate HDD he had lying around, so I formatted and installed my OEM Windows XP on it, then hooked my previous 2 HDD's (1st was OS/programs, 2nd was media) up in a RAID1 array. Now my wife and I keep backups of all of our music, photos, and videos on the server so we can stream them all to my Xbox 360. I also installed XAMPP on it to use as my development server. Total cost for me: $0.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
This is my only computer but there are a total of 5 Macs in my household. My son has a 15" PB and 15" MBP, my daughter has a 12" PB, and we have a Mini in the living room acting as a Media Center.

I use my MacBook for everything personal and for work including a subnet connection to the Linux server. Works perfectly. It goes to work, business trips, home, lake cottage and anywhere/everywhere else I go. My only supplement is an iPod Touch.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
it's my main computer now. I still have the old Gateway, but I keep that in my daughters room now and it's a back up.

FreqFlyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Great to hear so many replies! I added a poll, but I just discovered that I forgot a Linux option... sorry for those who feel left out :rolleyes:

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Still rockin' the 1st gen MacBook in my sig. Nothing too intensive, mostly just Mail, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto Picasa, and the occasional use of Fusion for XP.

hmai18

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
I've been running a notebook as my primary machine for almost 3 years. Progression was:

1. iBook + 17" CRT
2. iBook + 20" LCD
3. MacBook + 20" LCD

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
I haven't owned a desktop type machine for years. Even in my pre mac days, all I had was a notebook.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You poll is missing the one that says I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops running Windows and OS X. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.