PDA

View Full Version : US-Australia price disparity stirs debate

MacBytes
Mar 8, 2004, 07:47 PM
Link: US-Australia price disparity stirs debate (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040308204709)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Nermal
Mar 8, 2004, 11:11 PM
Interesting, I emailed Apple just yesterday about this issue. Here is my email, in full.

I've probably sent this to the wrong place, but I can't find a more appropriate area. Please forward accordingly. Thanks.

I live in New Zealand, and Macs are relatively rare here. One reason for this is the price. There is only one authorised distributor (Renaissance) in NZ, so they basically charge whatever they want. I have taken a look at the prices on the US Apple Store website, and compared them with local prices. On average, Macs cost 31% more in NZ than they do in the US (I used an exchange rate of 1NZD=0.67USD, which is reasonably correct as of today, and it was all calculated before tax).

Upon finding out how big the difference is, I felt that the solution was obvious - order my new PowerBook from a US reseller. Even after a "hefty" delivery charge, it would still be significantly cheaper to order in from the US. It's the same product, for much cheaper. However, that plan didn't work. I tried several different resellers, and they all said the same thing - their contract with Apple prevents them from selling outside the US.

As you could understand, surely something needs to be done about this. Maybe if you allow other companies (besides Renaissance) to import and distribute Apple products? As soon as there's competition, prices drop, and it's much better for the consumer. And, of course, once Macs are cheaper here, more people will buy them, so it's a win-win situation.

I look forward to your decision. Thank you for your time.

Chris Mahoney
Student

winmacguy
Mar 9, 2004, 12:05 AM
Interesting, I emailed Apple just yesterday about this issue. Here is my email, in full.

Should be interesting to see what the response is Nermal.

aswitcher
Mar 9, 2004, 12:16 AM
Link: US-Australia price disparity stirs debate (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040308204709)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Well I really hope that now Apple has been critised for pricing two weeks in a row by a major Australian newspaper, that even with recent fluctuations, prices will fall soon. Maybe if that rumoured 23rd March date sees new product releases...

mac15
Mar 9, 2004, 05:36 AM
I doubt you'll get a repsonse at all let alone a personal response Nermal. The over pricing of Australian/New Zealand apple products has gone on long enough, its about time somebody has stood up and said stop.

Stella
Mar 9, 2004, 08:45 AM
Another reason why Apple fail to increase market share.

Apple are quite bad at international pricing. Its almost as if the world is subsidising US citizens on Apple products.

aswitcher
Mar 9, 2004, 01:10 PM
Another reason why Apple fail to increase market share.

Apple are quite bad at international pricing. Its almost as if the world is subsidising US citizens on Apple products.

I wonder if they need to charge more because they have to offer local helpdesk and repairs. Given the excellent reputation that Apple Australia have for service maybe its worth the extra thousand bucks... :p

Nermal
Mar 9, 2004, 03:24 PM
I doubt you'll get a repsonse at all let alone a personal response Nermal. The over pricing of Australian/New Zealand apple products has gone on long enough, its about time somebody has stood up and said stop.

I'm not really expecting a response, I just want them to read it and know how I feel about their pricing.

aswitcher
Mar 10, 2004, 04:19 AM
I'm not really expecting a response, I just want them to read it and know how I feel about their pricing.

I actually think writing to Apple America would get a better response. I imagine that they don't look to closely at the Australian market so unless someone brings something to their attention they probably don't notice...

Nermal
Mar 10, 2004, 12:20 PM
I did! Sorry, forgot to mention that in my original post, but it was Apple US that I emailed. But I think the more people that complain, the better :)

MrMacMan
Mar 10, 2004, 10:18 PM
There should be a person -- Like me to buy you an apple product (after you send me the money) I would ship it to you.

[ ;) don't inquire ;) with me]