Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
It's not $20. It's $20 after you buy the Pocket PC. The cheapest iPAQ on Pricewatch is the H1910 at $249. The same price as a mini. It has 64MB of SDRAM, 46MB of which is accessible to the user. It uses Secure Digital expansion cards. Size wise it's between the mini and the regular iPod. So $250 for the hardware, and then $20 for the software, and it already costs more than the mini while holding less music. iPod killer this ain't.

Also, they seem to have change the name and layout. It's now "pBop" and the buttons are below the wheel. Will it help avoid a lawsuit? I don't know, and I don't care, this is hardly a threat to the iPod.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
While Counterfit is certainly right about needing to factor in the cost of the PocketPC itself, it should be remembered that the PocketPC will be slightly more functional than an iPod, because of its ability to input data using handwriting recognition and being able to use a number of applications (including ones to watch video).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You'd think they could have come up with a different name and interface that looked less like an iPod....

Makes sense for it to happen, but I'm sure Apple will take notice.

D

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
My favorite quote (next to the full size image):

Developed by the British software firm StarBrite, the pPod is a software-based iPod that runs on Pocket PCs, Microsoft's Palm-like operating system for handhelds.

Hmm... a copy of an Apple product that runs on a copy of a Palm product. Sounds like a very original concept. :rolleyes:

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I saw this when it came out (probably here at MR) and thought it was lame then.

I dont mind people innovating, but c'mon, a DIRECT ripoff?

Lame.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Counterfit said:
It's not $20. It's $20 after you buy the Pocket PC. The cheapest iPAQ on Pricewatch is the H1910 at $249. The same price as a mini. It has 64MB of SDRAM, 46MB of which is accessible to the user. It uses Secure Digital expansion cards. Size wise it's between the mini and the regular iPod. So $250 for the hardware, and then $20 for the software, and it already costs more than the mini while holding less music. iPod killer this ain't.

Also, they seem to have change the name and layout. It's now "pBop" and the buttons are below the wheel. Will it help avoid a lawsuit? I don't know, and I don't care, this is hardly a threat to the iPod.

No, I seriously believe this is the iPod killer. I am trading in my 3G 10 gig iPod after school for an iPaq.

Thanks for the tech specs, counterf(e?)it.

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
Backtothemac said:
Ha, service unavailable is what I am getting. Looks like Apple's lawyers have already struck.

It's been like that for most of the day.

There's a screenshot at wired and an article on cnet saying Apple has requested they change the name to pBop (along with some other on-screen changes).

Either way, they've driven a lot of traffic to their site.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Backtothemac said:
Ha, service unavailable is what I am getting. Looks like Apple's lawyers have already struck.

If they actually had the stupidity to bill their software as a $20 alternative to getting an iPod (once you have the PocketPC, of course) then they should have known what was coming. Going by the pictures at Wired, they really did copy it as closely as possible (well, except for the ability to play iTunes' protected AAC format).

Dumbest comment in the Wired article:
I think iPod interface is going to be the new Linux. People are going to try and put an iPod interface on just about everything.

Last I checked, Apple hadn't GPL'ed the iPod interface. :rolleyes:

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
oh to be a lawyer for apple... they never run out of business! hahaha! it has GOT to be fun to stick it to the retarded companies that come out with these blatent ripoffs... like shootin' fish in a barrel...

:p

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
gwuMACaddict said:
oh to be a lawyer for apple... they never run out of business! hahaha! it has GOT to be fun to stick it to the retarded companies that come out with these blatent ripoffs... like shootin' fish in a barrel...

:p

Yeah really... every day a new case... thats why their legal dept is nice and large...

They renamed their product to pBop... yeah real original Rip-Off of the iPod software... not.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
KC9AIC said:
While Counterfit is certainly right about needing to factor in the cost of the PocketPC itself, it should be remembered that the PocketPC will be slightly more functional than an iPod, because of its ability to input data using handwriting recognition and being able to use a number of applications (including ones to watch video).
Right, but who would buy one unless they need that other stuff? Buying one for music only would be a waste of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.