PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Mac and windows 7 on same network

ebony
Jan 16, 2009, 03:30 AM
I've been struggling all week trying to share a drive out from a mac and mount it remotely onto a windows 7 machine. Also I haven't been able to see any of my macs in the network in windows explorer on the windows 7 machine.

Eventually I found a solution, which I thought others may find useful.

Goto Start Menu
Search for: Local
Hit Enter
Select Local Security Policy
Goto Local Policies> Security Options
Double Click on Network security: LAN Manager Authentication
Change level to: Send LM # LTLM Responses

Then,

Goto Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
De-select Require 128-bit encryption
Hit OK

I found this somewhere else on the web so can't take the credit, but it works for me and I can see my whole network, macs, windows and shared folders from either, all on windows 7 now.

brianjer
Jan 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for this information. It worked first time.

Mac Pro Quad Intel
Powerbookk G4
PC Windows 7
PS3 instead of Apple TV

Dany M
Jan 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
what settings would i have to change in leopard?

ebony
Jan 18, 2009, 12:47 PM
what settings would i have to change in leopard?

To see the windows folders on the mac, as long as the windows 7 machine is on the same network you should just see the windows host name in the shared list in finder.

Any folders you've shared out on the windows side will be listed once you select the host name.

You shouldn't have to change any settings in leopard.

And as long as you've shared out the folders on leopard, you should see them on the windows side. If not make sure you have file sharing turned on in system preferences, sharing, file sharing, and that the relevant folder is listed.

repomonkey
Jan 21, 2009, 01:19 AM
Nice one. Been scratching my head about this issue for the last couple of weeks. :)

oopl
Jan 25, 2009, 08:29 PM
I've tried changing the settings, rebooting and have successfully had the Mac show up under network places in WIN7. It fails when trying to connect to it however.

Does anyone have this problem?

Zeitcatcher
May 11, 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks to this solution, I've resolved an issue with not being able to connect to Airport Extreme network drive. It used to say that the password was wrong, but after those changes I've been able to connect to it without any problems. Thanks for sharing.

toldaddy
Sep 1, 2009, 08:35 PM
This worked perfectly for my iMac, but my mac pro isn't showing up on windows 7. However both macs can see the PC now. Suggestions?

ro-76
Sep 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hi

I tried this to get a Win7 and Leopard MacBook to share files. I made the changes in the security policy as above, and both are on the same router. I also can share without any problems when I dual boot XP on the PC.

I can now access the mac files on the PC, and the PC shows up in Finder, but when I try to access it, I get "connecting...", but then "connection failed".

Any advice?

Thanks.

djbyers
Oct 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
i cant seem to find Local Security Policy
after I hit enter

Inglo
Oct 31, 2009, 02:04 PM
Any idea what to do without being able to edit those settings?

I have vuze media server running on my macbook pro and Windows 7 can see that without difficulty.

intrloper9
Nov 3, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to this board. I joined this forum specifically b/c of this thread. I too have been having a lot of trouble networking my Windows 7 computer with my Macbook Pro (which is running OS X 10.5.8... not the newest OS which is Leopard, I believe).

I have HomeGroup set up on the Win7 computer and everything is set to Share On, but that shouldn't matter since HomeGroup is not an option with Mac computers yet.

I also followed all the steps in the initial post of this thread, though I noticed a few of the steps weren't exactly the same as how they were described. For instance:

I don't have this option in my left nav bar. Closest thing I have is just "Local Policies" and then below it, once i expand the menu, "Security Options".

I assume that's what you meant. So I go into there and then I click "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level".

You have Double Click on Network security: LAN Manager Authentication listed as the step. Again, I assume this is what you meant.

You then have Change level to: Send LM # LTLM Responses listed as your next step.

I don't have anything that lists that. Closest thing I have is "Send LM & NTLM responses"... so I assume you just made a typo on that when writing NTLM as LTLM?

So I selected my first option in the drop-down: "Send LM & NTLM responses".

Last, you have:

That I have, but I have it listed twice. Once for "clients" and once for "servers". You didn't specify which one I should De-select Require 128-bit encryption for. So I just did it for both. I hope that was right.

After doing all of this, I rebooted both my PC and my MAC, and I still don't see the Win7 shared drives showing up on my Mac Shared Devices Finder. In fact, there's nothing there right now.

So I then delved in further, and made sure my entire 'Dennis' (pictures, documents, videos, etc) folder was shared. I then went into said folder and individually Shared each folder within it. I did this by right clicking each, going to Properties, then to Sharing, then make sure they were Shared. I then went yet another step further and clicked 'Advanced Sharing' and made sure they were Shared there too. (this was probably redundant and unnecessary, since the 'root' folder was already Shared... but I wanted to be thorough).

After doing all of this, and rebooting again... I still don't see the Win7 drive on my Mac.

On the Mac end, everything is set to share in System Preferences. So that, when I go into my Win7 'Network Places', I see my Mac drive... but it's only the shared printer. (and even that gives me an error msg when I click it).

So currently, I'm screwed. Any other options or ideas?

intrloper9
Nov 3, 2009, 02:17 PM
Small addition to this:

If I go into 'Network' on my Win7 computer, I see my shared PC folders there. So it appears to be working and sharing on the Windows side. I just can't get my Macbook Pro to recognize it yet.

I also can't get my Win7 computer to recognize anything but my printer on the Macbook Pro end.

ilkevinli
Nov 3, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have always been able to access my windows shares from my Mac by doing the following:

1. Click GO
2. Select "Connect to Server"
3. Type smb://192.168.2.100/ <---The computers IP address that has the shared folders
4. Hit Connect

The above works without making any of the changes and has worked with XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008.

Small addition to this:

If I go into 'Network' on my Win7 computer, I see my shared PC folders there. So it appears to be working and sharing on the Windows side. I just can't get my Macbook Pro to recognize it yet.

I also can't get my Win7 computer to recognize anything but my printer on the Macbook Pro end.

intrloper9
Nov 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have always been able to access my windows shares from my Mac by doing the following:

1. Click GO
3. Type smb://192.168.2.100/ <---The computers IP address that has the shared folders
4. Hit Connect

The above works without making any of the changes and has worked with XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008.

When I do this, it seems to connect, but then I get prompted to enter in a Name and Password, which is odd since I don't have a password on my file sharing from the Win 7. I think specifically turned that off actually.

So I then switch to 'Guest' and that doesn't work either.

So it seems like I'm close now, but still can't complete the process.

intrloper9
Nov 3, 2009, 08:56 PM
Update: I went into the Network Shared Settings on Windows and tweaked it some more. Not everything was set to full share in there.

So now, when I 'Connect to Server' from the Mac at smb://192.168.1.100/ it works. But only as a Guest.

I then get a connection made, and it asks me to mount a drive called 'Users'. But once I do, there's nothing inside it. So I tried to tweak the IP address extension by adding /users/dennis to it. But the same thing happens.

How do I find out from Windows 7 what the exact network path should be so I can connect to my proper user account in the Mac and access all my shared folders?

ilkevinli
Nov 3, 2009, 09:04 PM
There are a few ways to do this. You can just enter the user name and password that you always use when you use the windows computer. If you use an account that doesn't have a password, you can create a new user account and give it a password. Also make sure you Right Click on the shared folder and make sure you have the User name that your trying to use listed in the Security tab or have EVERYONE listed.

Update: I went into the Network Shared Settings on Windows and tweaked it some more. Not everything was set to full share in there.

So now, when I 'Connect to Server' from the Mac at smb://192.168.1.100/ it works. But only as a Guest.

I then get a connection made, and it asks me to mount a drive called 'Users'. But once I do, there's nothing inside it. So I tried to tweak the IP address extension by adding /users/dennis to it. But the same thing happens.

How do I find out from Windows 7 what the exact network path should be so I can connect to my proper user account in the Mac and access all my shared folders?

intrloper9
Nov 3, 2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks. Adding a password to my Windows User account seemed to do the trick. The only annoying thing still, is that I can now see my Shared folders... but I'm seeing all the hidden files too. Not a big deal, but if there's a fix, let me know please.

ilkevinli
Nov 4, 2009, 12:02 PM
Why don"t you want to see your shared folders ? Isn't that the point ? :)

Anyway if you only want to see a specific folder, just put the exact path. Such as:

smb://192.168.2.100/SharedFolder/

Also if you don't want to have to enter your account password everytime your computer boots, click on RUN and enter Control Userpassword2 and hit enter. Uncheck the box at the top.

Thanks. Adding a password to my Windows User account seemed to do the trick. The only annoying thing still, is that I can now see my Shared folders... but I'm seeing all the hidden files too. Not a big deal, but if there's a fix, let me know please.

intrloper9
Nov 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hi,

No, seeing the Shared Folders is fine. But I'm also seeing all the hidden files within those folders. This is something I've never had to deal with when networking two computers.

Is there a way to not see all the Hidden Files on my PC from my Mac?

Also, I went into Run, and tried about 10 different combinations of typing "Control User Password" but nothing ever came up.

ilkevinli
Nov 4, 2009, 01:52 PM
I see. I dont think there is a way to hide the hidden files. I don't have any hidden files in my shares so I never really looked into it.

You need to type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes.

Hi,

No, seeing the Shared Folders is fine. But I'm also seeing all the hidden files within those folders. This is something I've never had to deal with when networking two computers.

Is there a way to not see all the Hidden Files on my PC from my Mac?

Also, I went into Run, and tried about 10 different combinations of typing "Control User Password" but nothing ever came up.

intrloper9
Nov 4, 2009, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much for all the help.

It's really appreciated.

RobLan87
Nov 12, 2009, 01:34 AM
I apologize I hate bringing up these old topics but I have come to a bump in the road. I have successfully gotten my Macbook to see my PC running Windows 7 Professional. My PC can see my Room Mate's PC also running Windows 7 Professional. My PC cannot see my Macbook, in any way. I have followed the steps here and still no longer. I think I may be missing something. Is there a special way I have to connect to my Macbook? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RobLan87
Nov 12, 2009, 01:59 AM
*Update* I left my computer for a bit came back and suddenly my Macbook was showing up. Wierd, oh well it works now, THANKS!

duanevalencia
Nov 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ok... I have run across this "fix" on several websites. I am an intermediate computer user but it never fails that the descriptions posted on these site never match what I see on my computer.

I have an iMac 2.0ghz 20" OsX 10.5.8
Just bought a PC laptop with Win7

I can see the mac (some cryptic MAC09809384) in the Network tab in the left pane. When I click on it, all I see are the shared PRINTERS.

Trying the above security setting adjustments...

Typing LOCAL in the SEARCH menu brings up a dialog called SERVICES which then displays SERVICES(local).

There are no SECURITY POLICIES or LOCAL POLICIES or POLICIES or SECURITY or anything that is close to what is described here.

When setting up the laptop, it asked if I wanted to run a HOMEGROUP or WORKGROUP.... I chose HOMEGROUP (possibly a mistake?)... But in the COMPUTER NAME PANEL, it shows the WORKGROUP button selected and the name of the workgroup is WORKGROUP. Yet in the LEFT PANE of the explorer window it says HOMEGROUP. (jeez, no wonder I'm confused)...

So, anyway.... I just want to access files that are stored on my iMac from the laptop. I have programs that exist in both systems and I need to work on the same files from both.

Any help is appreciated. I just don't want to feel like an idiot anymore!

Duane

duanevalencia
Nov 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
Ok... I ran across one website that suggests that LOCAL SECURITY POLICY editing is only available on Win7Pro, Ultimate....

WTFreak... So to talk to Mac / Fileshare I have to have PRO?

Ugh...

Duane

duanevalencia
Nov 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
Crimeny....

So ALL you have to do is switch on SMB in the SHARING dialog!! NOW... it works like a charm...

On the MAC, in system prefs / SHARING / FILESHARING / OPTIONS.... turn on SMB...

Duane

mdh95070
Dec 13, 2009, 09:31 AM

1. Click GO
4. Hit Connect

This works for me... however, i use DCHP and would like to make things easier for my family. wondering, why my Mac can't see the windows 7 PC's name in finder? this worked with XP. thanks in advance

wesrk
Dec 29, 2009, 11:52 PM
hey guys, any help with this matter would be great.
I was using a RC Win 7 on one of my machines, the file sharing process was painless and easy with my mbp, the problem now is that I upgraded to a full Win 7 version and somehow, after sharing and having the same group name and stuff, I now can't connect to my windows machine.

I do exactly what I had been doing, which is exactly what you guys suggest here, go, connect, etc., but when I enter my username and password (the one for the windows machine) it says that I entered something wrong.

From the Windows side everything works fine, I can see my mac and go into the shared folders, but not the other way around.

Any ideas??

macinyart
Jan 17, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have read through these posts and have encountered many of the same problems listed. The two machines in question-----OS= Win7 Home Premium on a new laptop, OS= OSX v 10.4.11 on a PowerBook G4.
As I go through the posts I see one common thread and that is "smb". When "smb" is turned on for both machines, all is good.

My problem is that I have no clue about "smb". What is this? If it is so good, where do I get some?

Is it even possible that networking these machines is not allowed...I wouldnt' think so.

At no time have I seen the Mac in the devices list in the control panel.

I am reasonably computer literate so can follow instructions carefully. In the original instruction in this thread the items indicated do not show up on my screens. I am not sure what to make of that, but it is not helpful.

I would be very grateful for any help, advice, snail mail, email or whatever that will allow me to freely move files, copy files and other wise take control over my Mac from the Win7 machine.

Thanks.
Jack

dougweaver4
Jan 30, 2010, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=
My problem is that I have no clue about "smb". What is this? If it is so good, where do I get some?[/QUOTE]

I'm using 10.5.8 now so not sure if 10.4 is different, but go to Preferences, Sharing, check File Sharing, then click Options, and there is a checkbox for sharing using SMB, which Windoze knows how to do, as opposed to AFP, which Macs know how to do.

Doug

dpaschall
Feb 11, 2010, 12:40 AM
If you are having trouble getting to local security polices:

you can type this into the windows 7 search box instead:
secpol.msc

SMB enable in mac
Instructions at the beginning of thread.

Doing all these suggestions I failed at getting my computer to share though :(

carusojd
May 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
I had no difficultly networking my computers, but the next day I had to repeat the same steps to get them networked. Is this required each time the computers reboot ? I would not have thought so, but do not understand why this happened the next day. Any ideas ? Thanks.

g725s
Jun 28, 2010, 08:41 AM
Anybody actually get a Windows 7 PC networked to a Mac?

I have 7 Ultimate. I've tried the suggested tweaks with no success.

wesrk
Jun 29, 2010, 01:07 AM
Anybody actually get a Windows 7 PC networked to a Mac?

I have 7 Ultimate. I've tried the suggested tweaks with no success.

I had zero problems when I had the W7 beta version. Ever since I upgraded to the real thing, I haven't been able to make it work. I even did a fresh install of 10.6 a couple month ago and nothing. I've tried with a brand new machine that also has W7 and still zero succes.

speedwaygirl
Jul 11, 2010, 09:28 PM
ARGH!!!! Thanks for the tips, but I never found the security thingie even with the search suggested (I am using Windows Home Premium 64bit). I was able to get my new X6 PC to see the MacBook, but there's a permissions problem trying to write to the MacBook. I can also get the MacBook to see the PC through sharing in Windows Media Player, but it only sees certain files, even though the whole folder is shared.

I need to be able to copy large files from the PC where they are being captured to the MacBook where I'll convert them from the giant HD files that they are.

I'll look at it again tomorrow after a good night's sleep!

ArturBalthazar
Jul 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
I've been struggling all week trying to share a drive out from a mac and mount it remotely onto a windows 7 machine. Also I haven't been able to see any of my macs in the network in windows explorer on the windows 7 machine.

Goto Start Menu
Hit Enter

Then,

Hit OK

I found this somewhere else on the web so can't take the credit, but it works for me and I can see my whole network, macs, windows and shared folders from either, all on windows 7 now.

My question is made in this yahoo page, please, if you know the answer, heeeeeelp me!!http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100712100156AAyZCZ0

balamw
Jul 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
My question is made in this yahoo page, please, if you know the answer, heeeeeelp me!!http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100712100156AAyZCZ0

I'm new on mac world, i bought a MacBook Pro, but i need windows to use some programs, so I've downloaded 3 different versions of windows 7, i've followed million different tutorials, and it never works!! once it appears that black screen, ok, the second time it was the "non-disk system, press any key to reboot" ("any key" doesn't work, i have to force reboot), or it simply don't recognize the windows disk. I've burned my windows 7 copy it into a DVD, i don't know why the hell it does't work!!! It's frustrating, i need some help... Why it doesn't start the installation like everyone, every youtube tutorials??
I'm almost giving up of this, can someone help me??

I would suggest you start your own thread rather than attaching on to old/possibly unrelated threads.

Start by giving us all the information possible.

1) Which exact Mac do you have? (Which hardware, which version of OS X).
2) Which exact Windows are you trying to install? (If the download is not from a legitimate source, get one from a legit source if you want help).
3) What Windows programs are you trying to run? Boot Camp is not needed in all cases...

B

johntkucz
Jul 24, 2010, 09:40 AM

Goto Start Menu
Hit Enter

Then,

Hit OK

No Local Security Policy found on Windows 7. Anyone have workaround??

thurstmw
Sep 29, 2010, 01:44 AM
So I some how have my network working for the most part but when I access my PC from my mac I can not access anything except the "Users" folder. When I try to access anything else it gives me "The operation canít be completed because the original item for ďDĒ canít be found." or any other folder or drive I have shared. Any suggestions? I think I have the pc set up so basically all sharing is enabled and I should have all permissions. Thanks for any help.

swindmill
Oct 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have a Windows 7 Home Premium computer on my office network that I'm trying to setup as a basic printer/file server. I have it setup for file and print sharing. I cannot see it at all from my MacBook. It doesn't appear in the Finder and the printer does not show up. The workgroup doesn't even show up in the Windows add printer dialog in Print and Fax Preferences. In short, the Windows 7 computer is not at all visible on my Mac. I tried the suggestion at the beginning of this thread, but like others here, the options suggested aren't listed when I search 'local'. Has anyone made headway in this?

buzzgunner
Feb 20, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm having just the opposite problem of everyone else. My Mac (Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.6.6) can see my new PC (running Windows 7 Pro) just fine. However, my windows system isn't even aware of my Mac on my home network. The same problem is true for my wifes PC (running Windows XP Pro). My Mac can see folders and files on her PC, but her PC can't find my Mac. Further, both PCs can see and access each other w/o any trouble.

Why is my Mac "invisible" to both PCs?

JoniLW
Jul 22, 2011, 01:48 AM
For about 4 months we've been trying to figure our why our Win 7 insisted on some silly password business to log into my Mac on a wireless network. We never created a password :eek: We tried every thing under the sun to fix it, tweak it... anything without witchcraft. ;)

Finally... just moments ago my husband said, "Hey... maybe we should create a password for your user name." Genius.

Moments after that, he tried for the 4000th time to log in (from the PC to the Mac) he entered the shiny new password and BAM. We are in the Mac.

:eek::eek::eek:

Was it really that simple?

Now, when I try and access my PC' in my network from the MAC... it says.. "The Alias xxxx could not open because the original could not be found." That's not new... that's been happening for over a year. So, in words that can instruct a 4 yr old... can someone tell me how I re-establish the original so that my mac can see the win PC and log into it?

One small ray of sunshine it that I can at least get into my XP laptop from my Mac. *joy*

HussamRaed
Sep 1, 2011, 06:36 PM
Worked like a charm !!!!

Thanks A lot

mikeskip
Oct 17, 2011, 12:53 AM
If you are having trouble getting to local security polices:

you can type this into the windows 7 search box instead:
secpol.msc

SMB enable in mac
Instructions at the beginning of thread.

Doing all these suggestions I failed at getting my computer to share though :(

Hello Experts,
I have been reading all this postings and ways to connect a win 7 PC to mac!
I have Win 7 Home version and Mac 10.6.8 on my laptop air.
I can't connect this 2 computers on the same home network.
Neither I can find : Select Local Security Policy nor there is any results typing in my win pc : secpol.msc under search! It appears that these windows settings somehow don't exist in my win ...? On the other side, my Mac is showing a 'green light' for my USB ethernet connection- but the USB ethernet is red lighted and there is no connection in between the 2 computers.

I have no idea, what to do ( also I am not completly unfamiliar with computers- but somehow i cannot set up a home network- also both computers sharing the same Router ( ...and both have internet ;)

Any advise?
If yes- please don't answer with short abbreviations - which result in more questions!

...drives my crazy, as I searched all sorts of Websites- but a lot are showing the answer with "Local services" or "secpol.msc" which somehow don't exist in my search string under 'start'- search etc.

Thank you and maybe someone had the same problem and just don't answer with ...standard answers- as somehow this seemed to be a problem for quite a few users!

Mike

flomotions
Dec 8, 2011, 06:38 AM
This really is the most usefull help I could find on this issue.
I have been struggling to get this to work and you just saved my day (and those after 2day...).

Thank You very much for the effort of posting this great solution!

Regards!:eek:

----------

Hello Experts,
Neither I can find : Select Local Security Policy nor there is any results typing in my win pc : secpol.msc under search! It appears that these windows settings somehow don't exist in my win ...? On the other side, my Mac is showing a 'green light' for my USB ethernet connection- but the USB ethernet is red lighted and there is no connection in between the 2 computers.

I have no idea, what to do ( also I am not completly unfamiliar with computers- but somehow i cannot set up a home network- also both computers sharing the same Router ( ...and both have internet ;)

Any advise?
If yes- please don't answer with short abbreviations - which result in more questions!

...drives my crazy, as I searched all sorts of Websites- but a lot are showing the answer with "Local services" or "secpol.msc" which somehow don't exist in my search string under 'start'- search etc.

Thank you and maybe someone had the same problem and just don't answer with ...standard answers- as somehow this seemed to be a problem for quite a few users!

Mike

You probably do not own the right version of Windows 7 (> Home premium).
Home Basic does not offer those configuration options.
You need at least Home Premium, Professional or of course Ultimate.

flomotions
Dec 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
Hello Experts,

Any advise?

Mike

To resolve (some) of your issues:
You need to create an extra account in Windows 7 which has access to all shared content you wish to show in your Mac-Finder. Make sure you add a password to that account.
That account does not need to be used by anyone on the windows 7 pc, as long as it is functional.
Now you use the *go* function in finder and type: smb://192.168.0.1 (the IP Adress of your win7 machine, probably different from the one I typed here).
It will ask you for your username and password for the win7 pc (the account just created) and presto!

adventuretime
Dec 19, 2011, 05:20 AM
I was using my macbook (running osx 10.7.2) to browse through my desktop (running windows 7 ultimate) just fine all afternoon. Later, I disconnected the network and have had so much trouble rejoining it since then. I was able to join it again briefly, after resetting my router to factory settings. But, soon after, my desktop disappeared from my shared folder without provocation. I've tried this method dozens of times:

1. Click GO
4. Hit Connect

But I keep getting this message: "There was a problem connecting to the server "192.168.1.2" Check the server name or IP address. and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator."

I don't understand. What am I missing?

ilkevinli
Dec 19, 2011, 05:10 PM
If you are getting this message there are only 3 possible issues:

1. The IP address is wrong
2. There computer your trying to connect to doesn't have a folder thats has shared permissions setup properly or is not shared at all.
3. There is some software firewall on the machice blocking it.

I was using my macbook (running osx 10.7.2) to browse through my desktop (running windows 7 ultimate) just fine all afternoon. Later, I disconnected the network and have had so much trouble rejoining it since then. I was able to join it again briefly, after resetting my router to factory settings. But, soon after, my desktop disappeared from my shared folder without provocation. I've tried this method dozens of times:

But I keep getting this message: "There was a problem connecting to the server "192.168.1.2" Check the server name or IP address. and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator."

I don't understand. What am I missing?

mknabster
Apr 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for posting this guide, it has been very helpful. I'm starting to setup my home network, and I have got my Windows 7 machine to access my MacBook Pro on my network in my apartment at school, but i cannot get my Mac to do the same and recognize the Windows. Now it does show up under shared, but it says that the connection failed, and it won't let me put anything in to try to connect to it. I did turn off password protected sharing on the Dell, but I still can't get to it through the Mac. I'm running 10.7 Lion on the Mac.

jcssj
Sep 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
I have been having the same problem as a lot of you. I can access the Windows 7 64 bit from the mac, but under no circumstances will the Windows 7 see the mac. The mac will not show up in the network no matter what setting I have tried. What does work is do the previous suggestions, then go to the run command and type \\"and type the name of your mac" you will get a new window to pop up with the mac visable. When you close that window or refresh a previous window of your network it will disappear again but if you go to run and do it again it is there again and you can access your mac.