PDA

View Full Version : BMW M3 SMG Easter Egg

iGav
Mar 9, 2004, 05:08 AM
fantastic.... :p :p :p

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/article/0,12543,358540,00.html

edesignuk
Mar 9, 2004, 05:17 AM
...now I want an M3 even more...http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

iGav
Mar 9, 2004, 06:35 AM
...now I want an M3 even more...http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

you got admit, it's abit more original than putting one in Quark though.... heheheh

makes you wonder what they've hidden in the technofest that is the iDrive... :eek: :eek: :p :p

jeffy.dee-lux
Mar 9, 2004, 06:47 AM
fantastic.... :p :p :p

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/article/0,12543,358540,00.html

not to be one of those annoying knowitalls.... sorry... but yeah, that's really old news. aww man, i can't believe i just said, i'm sorry dude. i don't actually even remember how old the article is, maybe its not even a year old.
anyways, yeah, that's cool stuff... crazy electronics. I want an smg for my kona.

iGav
Mar 9, 2004, 07:27 AM
not to be one of those annoying knowitalls.... sorry... but yeah, that's really old news. aww man, i can't believe i just said, i'm sorry dude. i don't actually even remember how old the article is, maybe its not even a year old.
anyways, yeah, that's cool stuff... crazy electronics. I want an smg for my kona.

I've never heard about it... but I figure that's more to do with the fact that I don't follow BMW's much... as I'm not much of a fan.

Although I recall Autocar Mag toasted a conventional M3's clutch after only a handful of launches in a back-to-back comparison with an SMG box to decide which was the consistently quicker car off the line...

krimson
Mar 9, 2004, 08:42 AM
hmm... guess i'll have to start saving just a little more, and faster. :D

Mr. Anderson
Mar 9, 2004, 09:01 AM
For lucky drivers of this hot car, here's how: Switch off the stability system and select shift program six. Switch the engine to sport mode. With the hand shifter in drive, hold it in the downshift position and press the gas pedal. The engine will rev to the preprogrammed rpm and hold. Now release the shifter. The car will launch forward violently and the engine's revs will climb quickly, so be prepared to upshift.

Talk about a crazy sequence, though. I imagine you'd have to try it more than once to get it right and memorize the sequence - and then a few more on a straight road for fun :D

Wow, that's just great.

D

ExoticFish
Mar 9, 2004, 09:33 AM
now if only i could do that with one of those motorized carts at Wal-Mart.

eyelikeart
Mar 9, 2004, 10:23 AM
Too bad I don't know someone with one of these yet, it would be hella fun to see this in action. :D

Powerbook G5
Mar 9, 2004, 11:37 AM
Too bad the US spec M3s only launch at 1800-2500 rpm.

virividox
Mar 9, 2004, 12:18 PM
oooo just gotta ask teh dealer to change teh software :D

jeffy.dee-lux
Mar 9, 2004, 12:51 PM
hmm... guess i'll have to start saving just a little more, and faster. :D

maybe by the time you have the money, you can get yourself an m4... that's gonna take over the roll of two door versions of the 3 series, and therefore the current m3, except that i've heard that the m4 would more or less fill the gap between the m3 and the m5, putting it at around 400hp. Some pics of the car have shown exhaust tips placed far apart on either side, suggesting exhaust lines coming from two banks of cylinders, ie a v8, as opposed to the current m3's more centralized exhaust tips, coming off of the inline 6, so this ~400hp might be somewhat accurate.

oldschool
Mar 9, 2004, 02:06 PM
now if only i could do that with one of those motorized carts at Wal-Mart.

Please explain. We have walmarts here in canada, but no motorized carts.

Do people use these to drive around in while shopping? Is it like a shopping cart that you can sit on that also has a motor?

rainman::|:|
Mar 9, 2004, 02:40 PM
Please explain. We have walmarts here in canada, but no motorized carts.

Do people use these to drive around in while shopping? Is it like a shopping cart that you can sit on that also has a motor?

They're provided for people that have difficulty walking... supposedly for the handicapped, but mostly it's just morbidly obese people I see using them. They're just cheap versions of Rascal scooters, they hold a very short charge and recharge by plugging in. Basket on front. These are a holdover from when Wal-mart was actually a decent company, i doubt they'll be replaced when they fall into disrepair under the current owners.

paul

ExoticFish
Mar 9, 2004, 02:54 PM
They're provided for people that have difficulty walking... supposedly for the handicapped, but mostly it's just morbidly obese people I see using them.

that and I see a lot of drunk and stoned college kids try and use them to be funny (i live in a college town)

krimson
Mar 9, 2004, 02:56 PM
maybe by the time you have the money, you can get yourself an m4... that's gonna take over the roll of two door versions of the 3 series, and therefore the current m3, except that i've heard that the m4 would more or less fill the gap between the m3 and the m5, putting it at around 400hp. Some pics of the car have shown exhaust tips placed far apart on either side, suggesting exhaust lines coming from two banks of cylinders, ie a v8, as opposed to the current m3's more centralized exhaust tips, coming off of the inline 6, so this ~400hp might be somewhat accurate.

i'd have to see it first before anything, i do like the new 6 series, so i think they're going in a good direction, but for now, it's the M3 SMG, or the S4 :)

cocopelli
Mar 9, 2004, 04:49 PM
Why not just get an actual 6-speed?

Powerbook G5
Mar 9, 2004, 09:06 PM
Because people are lazy and don't seem to want to shift for themselves.

jeffy.dee-lux
Mar 9, 2004, 10:42 PM
i'd have to see it first before anything, i do like the new 6 series, so i think they're going in a good direction, but for now, it's the M3 SMG, or the S4 :)

yeah, the new s4 is crazy, they went through a lot of trouble to stuff that v8 in there, had to displace all sorts of things. I read a comparison of the S4, M3, and C32 or whatever the equiv amg would be in like road and track or car and driver or something... the s4 came out on top.

i've seen some pics of the m4, lemme see if i can find you one.

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000218364.cfm

well that's just the regular 4 series, i guess the m4 won't be available till the 2007 model year or something. i think the m versions usually come out about a year after the regular ones.

iGav
Mar 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
Why not just get an actual 6-speed?

Because the SMG's are consistently quicker over a number of standing starts (launching a manual car, perfectly everytime to 100% of the cars ability is impossible) they provide quicker shifts, they have that funky (former F1 tech launch control) which is sadly detuned for the yank version.

During a Autocar mag test, the conventional M3 couldn't handle more than 5 race launches without frying it's clutch, the SMG kept going like a Duracell bunny.

I personally would take a Tiptronic/Semi Automatic gearbox over a manual anyday of the week... and pref with an auto mode for city driving, clutches are a royal pain when you're stuck in a traffic jam. ;)

Powerbook G5
Mar 10, 2004, 12:08 PM
I still say it's laziness. People would rather talk on their cell phone and drink their fancy coffees more than actually giving a damn about driving their car. There isn't much fun out of a sports car if you can't feel the clutch and reach that level of oneness when you shift between the gears and learn how to work the engine perfectly to your every situation. Driving in city traffic really isn't that bad if you learn to keep gentle on the clutch and let it coast between stop and go. My car can work first gear pretty well to creep with traffic and has really good rolling efficiency to get through traffic with minimal need to shift in and out of first and second.

russed
Mar 10, 2004, 01:32 PM
I personally would take a Tiptronic/Semi Automatic gearbox over a manual anyday of the week... and pref with an auto mode for city driving, clutches are a royal pain when you're stuck in a traffic jam. ;)

you have to admit that clutches are fun just for you to cane the pants off your car. but i suppose you live in the city, i live in the country with winding roads that are grat for driving on.

using hte clutch is the only way i get anything out of my 1 litre 50hp vw lupo, but it is bloody fun to drive!

iGav
Mar 10, 2004, 01:36 PM
I still say it's laziness. People would rather talk on their cell phone and drink their fancy coffees more than actually giving a damn about driving their car. There isn't much fun out of a sports car if you can't feel the clutch and reach that level of oneness when you shift between the gears and learn how to work the engine perfectly to your every situation. Driving in city traffic really isn't that bad if you learn to keep gentle on the clutch and let it coast between stop and go. My car can work first gear pretty well to creep with traffic and has really good rolling efficiency to get through traffic with minimal need to shift in and out of first and second.

A non-switchable Auto is lazy... but a Tiptronic/Semi Auto certainly isn't... you still manually decide when to change, it's just that the changes are much quicker, meaning that the car is quicker....

I love manual cars, they're the transmission of choice in the UK, and you pretty much have to learn in one... but on a twisty road, a Tiptronic is just as much fun as a conventional manual, and in my opinion you can concentrate more on positioning the car, as well as balancing the car on the brakes and throttle through corners, without having to resort to abit of heel and toe action which can be a tad risky on the road, and nigh on impossible with many cars current pedal positioning set ups.

But they can't be all that bad though... the Ferrari Enzo is semi-automatic, WRC's use sequential shifts and F1 cars are semi-automatic (were fully automatic until the start of this year)... :D

Clutches are still hideous after a 200 mile dash from Leeds to London and then being stuck on the M25 for an hour and then 3 hours on the North Circ... stopping and staring with seemingly no pattern... there's no driving pleasure in that, unless the driver is a Sadist... heheh

iGav
Mar 10, 2004, 01:46 PM
you have to admit that clutches are fun just for you to cane the pants off your car. but i suppose you live in the city, i live in the country with winding roads that are grat for driving on.

using hte clutch is the only way i get anything out of my 1 litre 50hp vw lupo, but it is bloody fun to drive!

Lets not misunderstand me here, I'm not a huge fan of conventional Automatics... they're totally devoid of driver interaction... but I love Tiptronics and Semi Automatics (as much as I do manuals) which are very different.

For tyre smoking yobbish fun... the clutch is great.. :D it's also fun to drive on fast, twisty roads... Automatics can't compare in terms of driver satisfaction in any area.

But a SMG or Tiptronic isn't a conventional Auto box, the driver still has control... an SMG box on your Lupo would offer many benefits, consistently quicker starts for one... ;) where as a conventional Auto would suck all the power from it....

Twisty roads.... cheeky monkey... :eek: :p :p

russed
Mar 10, 2004, 01:58 PM
Twisty roads.... cheeky monkey... :eek: :p :p

i know how i long to be back in my car doing 70 down a country lane nearly crashing into tractors and mad farmers along the way!

(im at uni and am deprived of my car in 10 week stints called term time as the tossers wont give me a parking permit!)

Counterfit
Mar 10, 2004, 09:42 PM
anyways, yeah, that's cool stuff... crazy electronics. I want an smg for my kona. Dammit, ya beat me to it :) Rinkier Dinkier link (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=296&page_number=1) :D

C'mon iGav, you should know that traction control, active suspension, launch control, and automatic shifting were all banned in F1 from 94- May 2001. :rolleyes:
I'd take a SMG over a regular stick, simply because I don't feel like changing the clutch after I burn it out in 10k miles because I don't know how to use it yet. :)

JamesDPS
Mar 10, 2004, 09:56 PM
Gotta go with iGAV on this.. I have a clutch car since I'm not rich enough for anything with SMG (or anything similar, since that's just BMW's name for it), and it beats the hell out of an auto, but SMG is faster, more accurate, safer, etc. Of course, my left calf is larger from the LA traffic but it's really not all THAT bad...

Anyways it is worth mentioning that the SMG and regular tiptronics are very different beasts -- the Bimmer has different modes, 1-6 (where 6 can only be engaged by disabling traction control, which is why this "easter egg" seems complicated even though all the car mags treated it like a standard option when first reviewing the m3), where in the most aggressive shifting mode, they're MIGHTY fast (5th to 6th in something like 80 ms, for example); normal "semi-auto" cars are really not much more than an automatic where you can sort of suggest which gear to be in ;)

Powerbook G5
Mar 10, 2004, 10:37 PM
You must have much better semi-autos in the UK, because here in the US, we have really pathetic attempts at semi-autos that really aren't anything but autos that you can more or less shift between if the car thinks it's appropriate to. Besides the BMW, Ferrari, and such, we don't have anything remotely as high tech. Even then, as noted in the article, the US speced BMW isn't nearly as hellfire as the one in the rest of the world. Damn safety guidelines. If it weren't for those, we'd have the nice cars that the rest of you guys enjoy in Europe.

Counterfit
Mar 11, 2004, 02:34 AM
I think it's just the general attitude we have towards driving. Really sucks, and it's waaaaay too easy to get a license here. I wonder if the RI staties could use a new unmarked cruiser :cool:

iGav
Mar 11, 2004, 05:18 AM
Dammit, ya beat me to it :) Rinkier Dinkier link (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=296&page_number=1) :D

C'mon iGav, you should know that traction control, active suspension, launch control, and automatic shifting were all banned in F1 from 94- May 2001. :rolleyes:

I do know that.... ;) why did you think I didn't??? :eek: :) you're not entirely correct in the above statement though... Active suspension continues to be banned ;) :D

Traction control is still legal, although it's only alowed to kick in once the cars reach 100kmh after the start (and is then engaged for the rest of the race, but many teams still ran mechanical sets up similar to this after they were banned at the end of '93.

But it was electronic T/C that was banned after '93, allegedly it was Ferrari running some dodge stuff, hence why FIA permitted it's use from April '01.

Launch Control was banned at the end of last season, so this year it's manual starts all the way, although apparantly Renualt are using a system that can lock the clutch at a pre-determined point and basically acts as launch control, hence there great starts last weekend.... so if they get a great start again in the next race, which is obviously greater than everyone elses, expect protests etc.

Fully Automatic gearboxes were also banned at the end of last season after 2 and abit seasons moving back to the driver controlled semi-automatic gearbox, as pioneered by Ferrari back in '89, although most of the drivers continued to manually downshift even throughout the race because of the manual overide of these automatic gearboxes.

Active suspension has been banned since the end of '93 and continues to do so. As do ABS/Power Brakes, CVT's, smart aero packs (memory plastics etc etc), fully auto starts (a system that could lock into the starting light sequence and basically start INSTANTLY the moment the lights turned green, Pit-to-car telemetry, all remain banned.

I find it interesting that there's many people *cough* Lauda *cough* that said that all these gizmos make the cars easier to control etc etc.. and that a monkey could drive them, yet when Lauda was offered the opportunity to actually drive one, he spent more times twirling than a ballerina on the track... his opinion changed there after. :D

Bigheadache
Mar 11, 2004, 05:44 AM
In Australia I remember the BMW launch control was listed as a "feature", so I am very surprised its an easter egg for some of you guys.

As for tiptronic, I recommend anyone thinking of a boxster go for the 6 speed manual cos the tiptronic doesn't feel right (well it didn't for me -it felt sluggish and lazy) and its only 5 gears.

edit: I meant lazy compared to the manual

iGav
Mar 11, 2004, 06:27 AM
In Australia I remember the BMW launch control was listed as a "feature", so I am very surprised its an easter egg for some of you guys.

the launch control is a feature, even in the U.S, the difference is that the U.S. LC doesn't rev as high as the euro model... heheh ;) :D

krimson
Mar 11, 2004, 08:35 AM
yeah, the new s4 is crazy, they went through a lot of trouble to stuff that v8 in there, had to displace all sorts of things. I read a comparison of the S4, M3, and C32 or whatever the equiv amg would be in like road and track or car and driver or something... the s4 came out on top.

i've seen some pics of the m4, lemme see if i can find you one.

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000218364.cfm

well that's just the regular 4 series, i guess the m4 won't be available till the 2007 model year or something. i think the m versions usually come out about a year after the regular ones.
\

i hadn't seen the 4 series yet, so thanks for the peek.. it's a little strange, definately not what I was expecting. I'd have to really drive one before i could even consider it.

--------
and as for why not get a regular 6 speed? 2+ hours of LA traffic ;D that and I like to eat while im driving.. LOL