Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pak^Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Columbus, OH
Hi All,

I’m looking to purchase a set (preferably) compact 2.1 Speakers for my Mac setup. This is going to be my everyday go-to system for my high bit-rate MP3 and AAC files.

I have already looked through numerous posts in the Forum, but most of the advice is for Gamers/Mutimedia, or actually suggests systems I have alreday been though.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here's something about what I'm looking for:

My “Audio” Background
  • JBL Creatures (Good College system, but not any more)
  • Bose Companion 3 – Series I (Loved the compact satellites, and Boomy Bass… by music just never felt complete)
  • HK SoundSticks II (Excellent sound… very complete…. But not enough Bass)

Usage
  • Primarily Music (Acoustic guitars, Alternative, but also Metal & Thrash). So I’m looking for a system that allows me enjoy the whole range from Michael Buble to Pantera.
  • DVD’s on my MBP (Maybe twice a month)
  • Games (Never)

This is going to sit in my over-cluttered bed room, so I cant really go for a component system (Unless you can suggest some really small components). I’d ideally like a 2.1 system, so I can enjoy some Bass, but I don’t really need the Klipsch-like thumping Bass, but will consider anything (even Klipsch & Bose) as long as the sound is terrific and complete (Low-Mid-High… no muddiness)

Price range: up to $300

I have been considering 2.0 Monitors as well. But I don’t always listen to my tunes from my desk… more likely sitting in bed… so I need something that can provide a decent audio experience from 10-15 feet as well.

So:
Compact
<$300
Preferably 2.1
Complete Sound Profile
For Music!

Gracias!! :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I have some Roth Audioblob 2s and they do the job reasonably. If I had time/space/money I would perhaps have a hi-fi setup connected to my computer. That ought to sound better.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Honestly, you may find that compact =/= great if you're serious about audio.
You can try out some monitors like M-Audio or Klipsch. But it sounds like you want really small and really great. I have a set of Bose music monitors. At $400, no sub, they do me fine, but I am not an audiophile in the least.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Hi All,

I’m looking to purchase a set (preferably) compact 2.1 Speakers for my Mac setup. This is going to be my everyday go-to system for my high bit-rate MP3 and AAC files.

<snip>

I have been considering 2.0 Monitors as well. But I don’t always listen to my tunes from my desk… more likely sitting in bed… so I need something that can provide a decent audio experience from 10-15 feet as well.

So:
Compact
<$300
Preferably 2.1
Complete Sound Profile
For Music!

Gracias!! :)

I have and love the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system. Their sound is amazing, very full, great bass if you want, and turned even past 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up they positively ROCK the house! (but still sound amazing)

They can be had for under $150 most anywhere offline, I think I was able to get them through a campus tech store for ~$110, and Amazon has them for $80 (but shipping is expensive since the sub adds more weight than a normal package)

From what you want them for, these speakers should fit your profile. Go listen to them at a local electronics store (most all places carry them) and be amazed :D

Pak^Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Columbus, OH
Swans?

Anyone have experience with the Swan M10s?

Will they be fit for the stated purpose? Is there enough Bass in those Babies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.