Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
There are some things about Mac OSX server that I would be interested in experimenting with, so I come to you with this question:

When used primarily just for a personal computer, is there anything about regular OSX 10.3 (Panther) that is superior to OSX 10.3 Server? That is to say when using Server, is there any less compatibility, more difficult to use preferences for basic things, or missing features?

stoid

macrumors 601
I don't have a lot of experience with Mac OS X Server, but from what I do know, it's just the basic Panther OS with a bunch of extra server set-up and management tools. Probably also has more core functionalities. There are no cut-features AFAIK.

Plissken

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Tennessee
the only thing i have noticed so far as i've been setting up one of our new XServe + RAID systems with X.3.2 Server is that there is no eye-candy-rotating-cube effect on fast user switching. honestly the only thing i have noticed but it may be the video card in the XServe, but i don't remember off hand what it is. when i get back to work on the server this afternoon i'll take a closer look and report back. i wouldn't go out of my way to use Server for desktop use, though. there is no clear advantage.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Not to mention there are manual ways of setting up things in client so it'd be just like server. Of course Server makes it a whole lot easier.

Kev6

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2002
Seattle
iLife '04 refuses to be installed on OS 10.3 server. You can easily get around that by installing on a comp that has 10.3 client or booting into 10.3 and copying the Apps over, though it won't let up upgrade the iLife apps (Garageband 1.0 --> 1.01)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.