Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Hey,

I'm trying to make a two-button dialog box, if one button is pressed, it sets a variable to [1], if the other button is pressed, it sets the variable to [2]

This is my code:

Code:
display dialog "Hello world"
set var1 to 1

if var1 is 1 then display dialog "The variable is set to one"
if var1 is 2 then display dialog "The variable is set to two"

With this method, clicking [ok] sets the variable to [1], but how can I get it so clicking [cancel] sets it to [2]? Or even better, rename the two buttons?

Thanks

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
You can specify the button names and default button as follows:

Code:
display dialog "Hello world" buttons {"Button 1", "Button 2"} default button "Button 2"

To find out which button was pressed, you need to access the button returned property of the dialog. You can do this as follows:
Code:
display dialog "Hello world" buttons {"Button 1", "Button 2"} default button "Button 2"
set theButton to button returned of the result
Or just:
Code:
set theButton to button returned of (display dialog "Hello world" buttons {"Button 1", "Button 2"} default button "Button 2")

You can then compare theButton to the button names to check which button was pressed (eg 'if theButton is "Button 1" then...').

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
You can specify the button names and default button as follows:

Code:

To find out which button was pressed, you need to access the button returned property of the dialog. You can do this as follows:
Code:
set theButton to button returned of the result
Or just:
Code:
set theButton to button returned of (display dialog "Hello world" buttons {"Button 1", "Button 2"} default button "Button 2")

You can then compare theButton to the button names to check which button was pressed (eg 'if theButton is "Button 1" then...').

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.