Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Hey all. I need some help concerning the "Recent Places" in save dialogues. I have a couple of download folders that I do not want showing up in that menu for all to see. I already know how to completely wipe the menu using the terminal command:
defaults delete -g NSNavRecentPlaces

However, I am hoping to get some help doing something a bit more sophisticated with it. I am looking to either:
1) Prevent Firefox from every saving to those defaults (this is the application that is doing the saving to those folders)
2) Selectively delete certain entries in that defaults list
3) Delete the whole thing and then write in some pre-determined folders

I have gotten 2) and 3) to partially work in the past.
2) by going into .GlobalPreferences.plist with a .plist editor and manually deleting entries (however, I have been unable to actually script anything to automate that process which is more ideal, and I have yet to find a .plist editor that is freeeware) and
3) by doing the defaults delete command above, then doing:
defaults write -g NSNavRecentPlaces -array "~/Folder 1" "~/Folder 2"
This shows up fine sometimes when I do a defaults find for NSNavRecentPlaces, but it ends up crashing the save boxes when I go to test it "for real", or it just doesn't show up at all. Am I getting the syntax wrong on the -array command? Or is there a better way to go about this?

Long story short, I have a basic understanding of how to solve this, but would really like some help from people who actually know more of what they are doing.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Nevermind. I figured it out on my own. It is working great now. Thanks to no one for helping :(

haha lol i kid i kid :p

is anyone actually reading this? haha :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.