Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValinS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Ok so my Macbook has finally kicked the bucket, it's been only working on mains power for sometime now and now when I boot up the only thing that appears on screen is a grey screen with a ? in the middle.

I'm out of warranty so Apples no use here. I'm pretty sure the HDD is gone as I've put in the reboot disk and the HDD doesn't appear in startup disk.

So my question is, Is it possible to swap out the Macbook HDD for say this http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1571108 and then reboot from my time machine?

Thanks in advance,
Valin

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I recommend anything from this list of hard drives (scroll to the bottom). Cheapest price, great customer support, and I've heard many positive reviews of the site. I would shy away from 7200RPM drives as they are more expensive and would not be beneficial unless you need faster write speeds, for work such as audio recording.

ValinS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks for that Snowleopard, Do you know if there is a HDD capacity limit on macbooks. As in say I were to get a 320GB drive would OSX only recognise 160 of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.