Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brucku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
I am on my third MBA. I believe I can now repeat this symptom on ANY rev 2 (unsure if this existed on rev 1) MBA.

Once in a while when I put my MBA on my lap, it goes to sleep for a second. Then wakes back up. The best way to describe it is as if the machine fainted.

Basically it is being instructed that the latch is closed, and temporarily goes to sleep. This drops the wifi or plugged ethernet connection, quits file transfers, and is just plain annoying.

It happens by accident a few times per week. I can make it happen on purpose by doing the following

place laptop on your lap, or on one thigh, with thigh in middle. Place hands on corners of screen and base as if the hinge is in your palm. Press down against your lap. Poof it will happen.

This is unacceptable apple. The problem has not even been reported on the internet that much, but Its driving me nuts. Can anyone confirm that it happened on the revision 1 models?

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
you dont have a magnetic money clip or anything like that in your front pockets do you?

i dont know how the MBA senses when the screen is closed, just a thought.

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
A Guy goes into the doctor

And tells him, It hurts when I hold my arm in this awkward position over my head like this. The doctor tells him - don't hold your arm in the awkward position over your head.

If you are pushing down on the air from both sides over your leg to create this issue, then don't...

brucku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Wow. I kept looking for magnetic jewlery.... then I realized, that my wallet has a magnetic money clip on it.

I always keep the magnet towards the ceiling, i have just flipped it over, if this does not stop the problem, I will have to buy a new wallet.

ARG.

I liked this thing.

41CPTNM6B3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

oh well. AT least we figured out that issue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.