Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeplussjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I may have posted in the wrong section, but I'll ask anyway. I just purchased a WD My Book to use with time capsule, and it will no longer power on. I turned it off after back up, because I was also going to shut down my computer. I decided not to shut down my iMac, and I tried to turn my external hard drive back on, but it won't turn on. I checked the cables, but still no go. Anybody else experience this with the WD My Book external hard drive?

I just opened my iMac a few days ago, and this was the first time using time capsule, and now i'm having problems w/ my external. Is the external faulty, and should I just return it? It sounds like something is working in there but no light, and my Mac does not recognize

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
The firewire controllers in MyBook Studio models stink. Mine does that from time to time too, I just wait it out and it comes back. If it really really fails, I'll have it warranty repaired.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Yeah, it does sound like an issue with the drive itself. I'd just return it. If it's a common problem as drichards says, maybe you should try to track down another drive. It's odd, because WD is normally a good brand.

ayeplussjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I just shut down my iMac, unplugged the firewire from both the external hard drive and the iMac, and also unplugged the power cable. Waited about 10 seconds, plugged everything back in and now the status light is back on. Hmmm...I might just return it away. I don't want to be worried about my external never coming back on again

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
The firewire controllers in MyBook Studio models stink. Mine does that from time to time too, I just wait it out and it comes back. If it really really fails, I'll have it warranty repaired.

+1 here, i just unplug both and everything and then replug then power on drive and computer. tbh its just random when it works or not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.