PDA

View Full Version : CELL PHONES FROM THE FUTURE (NEW SE MODELS)

jiggie2g
Mar 9, 2004, 09:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well being the Huge Cell phone nut that i am I just wanted to share this with you all , This is the 2004 Line up from Sony Ericsson. These Phones are Like WHOA. The Star Trek Phones are almost here.

http://www.mobileburn.com

http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?template=P0&B=ie&CID=105&start=0&link=PS1&gal=105

iJon
Mar 9, 2004, 10:22 PM
well me being a technology slut i will probably get one of these to replace my t616, and my t68i just sits there all alone.

iJon

Dippo
Mar 9, 2004, 11:14 PM
I really like the look of the S700i, but where is the keypad.

It is looking like Steve Jobs (and many others) will be proved right very soon. The S700i could actually pass as a PocketPC if you didn't know it was a cell phone.

ExoticFish
Mar 9, 2004, 11:28 PM
wow, i'd really love to get a new phone. my old Motorola v60 is looking more ancient by the second! :(

The_Dood
Mar 10, 2004, 02:20 AM
cool! they look like the phones here in Japan. the latest model from j-phone/vodafone has a 2megapixel CCD camera with zoom, video recording, an SD data card, and you can also watch the basic tv channels :) if you've heard about BowLingual (the dog translator), the phone is also equipped to decipher your dog. :D i heard they're working on ways to use your phone as a credit card, and also as a ticket card for riding the trains/subways. it's too bad they don't export these phones to the states! the ones I've seen advertised there look like my Japanese phone from 3 years ago.

aswitcher
Mar 10, 2004, 04:33 AM
cool! they look like the phones here in Japan. the latest model from j-phone/vodafone has a 2megapixel CCD camera with zoom, video recording, an SD data card, and you can also watch the basic tv channels :) if you've heard about BowLingual (the dog translator), the phone is also equipped to decipher your dog. :D i heard they're working on ways to use your phone as a credit card, and also as a ticket card for riding the trains/subways. it's too bad they don't export these phones to the states! the ones I've seen advertised there look like my Japanese phone from 3 years ago.

Yep, Japan is the place for future tech now. It helps that their phone network is advanced, a form of 3G that supports video etc.

iGav
Mar 10, 2004, 05:42 AM
I'm still liking the P900... superb IPD and attention to detail.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/p900/

The S700i is really similar to the Xda and Xda 2...

http://www.xda-2.co.uk

virividox
Mar 10, 2004, 06:44 AM
i still like my t68
hehe i guess ill get this gen or the one afterwards

edesignuk
Mar 10, 2004, 06:50 AM
I want an S700i, and I want it now!!!

GroundLoop
Mar 10, 2004, 07:07 AM
Why can't SE sell a phone that has all of the features of the S700 without the camera? I work in a classified environment and any kind of photographic equipment is strictly prohibited. I am assuming that, in the next year or two, I simple will not be able to have a cell phone at work since they will ALL have cameras built-in.

GRRR..

Hickman

slowtreme
Mar 10, 2004, 08:14 AM
The Star Trek Phones are almost here.Begging to differ. The phones today are smaller and have more features than the "Star Trek Communicator", well except for those broaches they wear, and they might not work from orbit :)

I can't find the quote anywhere but I remember Nimoy saying in an interview that he was stopped one time on the street by a fan. Seems he was walking along talking on a "Flip" phone, and he hadn't noticed how Trekkie it seemed till someone pointed it out. "Hey it's Spock on his communicator" This was easily 10 years ago, back when Flip cell phones were much larger, about the size of the original ST comm device.

Hmm I found this:Source (http://www.photoworkshop.com/registered/focus_on_profit/The_Role_of_Technology_2.pdf) Leonard Nimoy, Mr. Spock in the popular TV and movie series Star Trek, once commented that people would stare at him, point, and laugh whenever he got caught using his cell-phone in public. He wondered about that for a while, until he realized that it looked just like the flip-open communicator he would use to hail the starship Enterprise, as in “Beam me up, Scotty!”

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
Any hope that these will find a home with Sprint?

Le Big Mac
Mar 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
Why can't SE sell a phone that has all of the features of the S700 without the camera? I work in a classified environment and any kind of photographic equipment is strictly prohibited. I am assuming that, in the next year or two, I simple will not be able to have a cell phone at work since they will ALL have cameras built-in.

GRRR..

Hickman

Agreed. Why can't anyone sell a phone with advanced features but no camera? A few have come out, but it seems like the camera is the must have. Do people really use the camera a lot? I can understand the novelty, and the occasional use (e.g., a car accident), but it's hardly a must-have feature to me. Am I just a fuddy-duddy on that?

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 10, 2004, 10:25 AM
Agreed. Why can't anyone sell a phone with advanced features but no camera? A few have come out, but it seems like the camera is the must have. Do people really use the camera a lot? I can understand the novelty, and the occasional use (e.g., a car accident), but it's hardly a must-have feature to me. Am I just a fuddy-duddy on that?

It is a potential profit center for the cell phone companies. thats why.....

noel4r
Mar 10, 2004, 11:26 AM
anybody know which carrier they'll be using?

Mantat
Mar 10, 2004, 01:10 PM
CAmera on cell phone is a product without a market. Yet the company want to sell them because as someone pointed out, these are profit center and more important, they are about the last frontier were company can compare their product againts the competition. People know what 1mega pixel is, so ifyou have the choice between a phone with a 1.2mp or a 1.4mp, you will take the 1.4 one. On the other hand, there is no way 'on paper' to evaluate the sound quality of the speaker or the mic.

Here in Montréal (Canada) we see a lot of advertisement to sell these phones. They are targeted mainly at the 16-20y but with such a high price tag and no real use, they arent selling much. The only thing they can say in the adds is 'its cool to be able to take picture with the phone'... Ya right, for the same price you can get a cell phone + a small 2-3mp digi cam with a better lens...

aswitcher
Mar 10, 2004, 02:39 PM
CAmera on cell phone is a product without a market. Yet the company want to sell them because as someone pointed out, these are profit center and more important, they are about the last frontier were company can compare their product againts the competition. SNIP

Gotta disagree with this.

More digital cameras in phones is the boom area of the digital camera market and is hurting "stand alone" digital camera sales.
http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/33044.html
http://www.taiwanheadlines.gov.tw/20040109/20040109b2.html
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2003/tc2003129_4660_tc137.htm

They outsell normal digital cameras now having overtaken sales in 2003
Camera phones outsell digital cameras

http://www.digicamera.com/news.htm
alf of 2003, 25 million camera phones were sold compared to 20 million digital cameras. Almost half of those come from Panasonic, NEC, and Nokia. Camera phones, the report says, are no near-term threat to digital cameras due to their sold by camera phones. In the first half of 2003, 25 million camera phones were sold compared to 20 million digital cameras. Almost half of those come from Panasonic, NEC, and Nokia. Camera phones, the report says, are no near-term threat to digital cameras due to their calf of 2003, 25 million camera phones were sold compared to 20 million digital cameras. Almost half of those come from Panasonic, NEC, and Nokia. Camera phones, the report says, are no near-term threat to digital cameras due to their sold by camera phone -- Posted Thursday, October 30, 2003 by

;)

Mantat
Mar 10, 2004, 02:58 PM
Gotta disagree with this.

Wow... I cant relate to these numbers here in my area! Maybe its popular in Japan / europe but I have yet yo see a single person use one of these phone-cam in any place I go...

Well, not the first time I am wrong... today...

Juventuz
Mar 10, 2004, 02:59 PM
Too bad Verizon never carries any of the nice phones. They like to stay behind in the technology.

aswitcher
Mar 10, 2004, 03:06 PM
Wow... I cant relate to these numbers here in my area! Maybe its popular in Japan / europe but I have yet yo see a single person use one of these phone-cam in any place I go...

Well, not the first time I am wrong... today...

Ok, well if your in the USA you are in a country with arguably the most complex and flakey (technical term) wireless phone system of all "westernised" and most Asian countries. Because of this the USA is a slow adopter of mobile (sorry Cell) phone technology.

Another stat that comes to mind is that by iirc 2006, over 30% of ALL mobile/cell phones will have cameras...unless of course privacy law backlashes (which are occuring now) impede that rise.

Counterfit
Mar 10, 2004, 09:49 PM
I really like the look of the S700i, but where is the keypad. Seems like it swings out from behind.

Golem
Mar 10, 2004, 10:37 PM
Well I am perfectly happy with my T68i and while I know a lot of people with t616 etc, I can think of 3 straight off, 1 uses the camera occasionally the other 2 I have never seen them use the camera ,where as real digital cameras get used a lot.