Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macormac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hi experts..
I'm now seriously considering to get myself the latest Macbook Air (1.86Ghz)--for portability sake--and an iMac (3.06Ghz) for convenience sake--given the large 24" monitor. But having noticed the LED Cinema display (24" and 30") I thought to myself why not omit the iMac?
First, iMac's screen is not Full HD (1920x1080), second, its successive processor is coming underway (quadcore)
Drawbacks of having such combination as the air and LED display: i couldn't imagine my hands typing on the notebook with my eyes attached to the LED. Plus, there's no way for me to place the notebook right between me and the big screen (it's gonna block the view). The only way is to move the notebook a bit to the right, thus giving a wrist and a backache having tilted them!:mad:
Also: I doubt the LED has a disc slot--therefore both my machines won't allow me enjoying DVDs nor backing up files from the hard drives. Plus, given the "limited" functionality, will the 24" LED (priced at US 899) justify itself?
But I do really want a desktop and a notebook (at least machines that act like ones) that are of the most cost-efficient. FYI: I won't be considering a Macbook Pro just because of its heavy-weight nature!
Thanks! Mac or Mac

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, if you go the LED and the Air, don't type on the air - get an external keyboard! Also, you can get an external superdrive and plug it in to the display, so your DVD problem would be taken care of.

The big advantage of the imac/Air combo is that the imac is way more powerful.

The big advantages to the Air/LED combo are lower price and the convenience of just having one machine (no keeping track of files and such).

I think the answer lies in what you use your computers for. Do you play a lot of demanding games? Edit video? Use photoshop on really large files? Other "power uses?" If so, the air will disappoint you for those things, and the imac will do great. If your uses are more simple, the Air + LED would be brilliant.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
You can plug an external DVD into the Cinema Display and add an extenral keyboard.

I guess the question is:

Will the extra power of the iMac be worth it for the inconvenience of having to manage files and settings across two machines.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Definitely iMac. Two computers - one for heavy work and storage and the other for portability. Will you really notice the difference in display?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I would get MBA + iMac and keep my personal files on the iMac. Use the MBA for things such as email, web browsing, chatting, etc. And maybe keep a flash drive ready for when you need to edit a file that is on the iMac on the MBA. Besides, the iMac is a whole system whereas the ACD is just a display (however awesome it is) that only works with MDP (mac only).

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
depending on your workload...you might be best to pull off the Air & LED Display.
if you put all your storage on your network (via USB HUb & AEBS or Time Capsule) i pretty much eliminated all my internal drives and just use network or external hook ups as im looking to maybe downsize to all portable machines instead of a macpro & a large display.

i want to pick up perhaps a macbook & the 24" display as they seem pretty great.

i currnently work with a MacPro & 30" so itd be a definite change.but at this time im really in the need for portability as work flow has changed alot.

so id saw depending on your immediate workflow you can go with the air for the meantime and see if the demands state for a secondary computer or just an external display.

id presume once the mini displayport standard starts to be utilized or adapters you may find cheaper displays available to use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.