PDA

View Full Version : Going To Start Learning To Develop iPhone Applications

Devan
Jan 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
Yup, another one of these posts.

Just curious how easy is it to make the transfer?

I am fluent with HTML, An Advanced PHP Programmer and pretty good with ajax.

Ive build a lot of applications for clients including email marketing applications, CMS, CRM's etc... so pretty advanced stuff.

Really want to go and create iPhone applications to compliment my online applications that i am developing for wide scale commercial use.

How easy would it be for me to make the move from HTML/PHP/AJAX to Objective C/Cocoa ? Looking and some of the programming it looks pretty similar just with different syntax.

Thanks for you help.

Also is it worth going for the ADC Premium Package?

Devan

firewood
Jan 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
If you already know programming (algorithms, data structures, pointers, objects, debugging, etc.), then just jump in, maybe get a couple books on Obj C and Cocoa/iPhone development, or start studying the large amount of tutorial material on Apple's developer site. There's some anecdotal evidence that an experienced programmer can ramp up to an interesting iPhone app in two months.

The biggest difference might be the UI and performance constraints of designing for an embedded handheld system. But if you programmed back in the days when fast PC only ran 133 MHz or less, and also have experience as a user of some handheld device (Palm, iPhone), that may be enough experience.