Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techster82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I picked up a new aluminum 2.0 Macbook a couple of days ago and can't wait to take out the 160GB drive and up it to a 320GB model. I will most likely be ordering the new drive from newegg.com and have been looking at the WD or Seagate drives. Can anyone recommend a good drive and good deal to me? Also, should I bump up to a 7200rpm drive or stick with 5400rpm?

-Clay

kid rock

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
i would go for WD myself and wold not recommend seagate judging by there massive fail rate recently on desktop drives, refusal to recall the drives (even tho the fail rate is 50%+ iirc) and there general attitude to customers, that and i have had seagate drives fail before on me

and

Apple use WD (the drive you take out i think will be a WD, whats good enoutgh for apple..)

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i would go for WD myself and wold not recommend seagate judging by there massive fail rate recently on desktop drives, refusal to recall the drives (even tho the fail rate is 50%+ iirc) and there general attitude to customers, that and i have had seagate drives fail before on me

and

Apple use WD (the drive you take out i think will be a WD, whats good enoutgh for apple..)

Not that it matters, but Apple uses Hitachi drives (in my case, at least). Personally, I would opt for an SSD in mid-2009.

techster82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Not that it matters, but Apple uses Hitachi drives (in my case, at least). Personally, I would opt for an SSD in mid-2009.

While I am a fan of SSD, I really want high storage capacity and reliability for a decent cost. I rarely fire up my Windows Desktop and want to dual boot on the macbook (something I never did on my Macbook Pro). Plus I want plenty of space for music, pictures, movies, etc.

kid rock

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK

the drive in my imac and macbook were both WD drives, but now you mention it the drive in my MBP is a hitachi (now ive checked, thought it was WD lol), id still recommend WD over anybody else tho

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
While I am a fan of SSD, I really want high storage capacity and reliability for a decent cost. I rarely fire up my Windows Desktop and want to dual boot on the macbook (something I never did on my Macbook Pro). Plus I want plenty of space for music, pictures, movies, etc.

Yeah, I hear ya!

There is a glimmer of hope though...
http://driveyourlaptop.com/products/sandisk-ssd-g3-

240GB for $499.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Hitachi 5k320 on Newegg free shipping $59.99 after $10 MIR. FYI I paid about $15 more for this drive back in October (though they did have a $20 rebate rather than $10 back then).

Hitachi 7k320 on Newegg free shipping $69.99 after $20 MIR.

Don't forget Ebates for 2% cash back at Newegg and an extra $5 cash back the first time.

It's up to you. Obviously the 7200 RPM Hitachi is a great deal at $69.99 but I still am uneasy about 7200RPM drives in a Macbook. Whether there will be vibration, excessive heat, and excessive energy being used is dependent on the drive itself.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Don't forget Samsung drives.. I have one in my MacBook and it's been great.

From memory their warranty is longer than Seagate/WD, but I may be mistaken.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England

and

I replaced mine at Christmas with a 500 GB Seagate and it's been good so far.

Finally got all my iTunes on my laptop to take with me wherever I go and still got loads of room to spare! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.