Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rate computer users, average/normal end users, NOT geek level users

• Average peecee users are dumb as a post.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Average peecee users are fairly intelligent but still clueless.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Average peecee users are rocket scientists (feel the sarcasm).

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Average Mac user can barely turn the computer on.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Average Mac user knows what they are doing, and don't F-up the computer too often.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Average Mac users are just as good/bad as peecee users.

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Over the past few days, I have been faced with more rampant stupidity by end users then in the past (in the same time frame).

I know how peecee users claim that they are soooo ***** intelligent because of this, that or the other thing. I have come to see that end users, and anyone that doesn't rate as at least a moderate level of a geek, are basically idiots. Some of them couldn't find their a$$ (with their hands) if they sat on their hands.

Mac users on the other hand (mostly at least) know enough to not f*ck up their systems (for the most part) and understand at least how extensions can conflict and how to backtrack and do at least basic trouble shooting before calling for help. That's not to say that some of them rate the same as above mentioned peecee users, but on the average, Mac users are brighter bulbs.

Thus the poll... rate how you consider the average computer end user by platform. Use your experience of non-geeks please, since geeks know more then the average user.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
almost all the non-geek PC users have no idea what they're using.. I am absolutely sick of people saying

Clueless PC user: "I don't like mac, because it's not as good as IBM"

Me: "You mean Windows..."

Clueless PC user: "No, I don't like Windows either.. that's why I use IBM."

They're usually the same people who go to their teacher and say

Clueless PC user: "I left my notebook here."
And they point at their notebook.
"Do you know where it is?"

Teacher: "Um... you're pointing at it."

Clueless PC user: "Oh okay, thank you. Bye."

:rolleyes:

irmongoose

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I don't know if it's generally true, but from what i've seen most mac users use a mac because they know what they're buying (ie. what they can do on a computer).

A fair amount of those buying wintels are doing so because they've heard of this term 'computer', and want to know if they can reproduce Final Fantasy (the movie) within a week :rolleyes:

And choppaface, by responding, you're clearly not ignoring. (go ahead, ignore me. I couldn't care less)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
really it isnt the user as much as it is the OS. it is MUCH easier to do something that may seem intuitive to a person and screw up windows than it is to do the same thing in a Mac OS.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I agree with sparkleytone, where the OS is what's causing PC users more trouble. However, Mac users can have there off day too, but atleast its usually much easier to fix a Mac than a PC

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Human beings are human beings, and we all are less than perfect...

Any computer user can hose a machine (PC or Mac) in an astonishingly short period of time...Macs are just easier to fix.:)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Human beings are human beings, and we all are less than perfect...

Any computer user can hose a machine (PC or Mac) in an astonishingly short period of time...Macs are just easier to fix.:)

Speak for yourself human... :D :p

Mac's are easier to fix, because it takes a hell of a lot more to really 'hose' the system then with peecee's. You delete just one file (on purpose or by accident) and the system is f*cked. Do that with a Mac, and you can probably have it back up and running in a few minutes (if not less). With the peecee, chances are you will have to blow out everything and reinstall the entire set again. If you accidentily install incorrect drivers on a peecee, you are SOL. Do that on a Mac, start up without extensions live, remove the stuff and restart the computer... back to happy Mac...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Don't forget that Apple completely redesigned their operating system from the rather buggy OS 9 (or Classic). Apple started creating OS X back in 1996 or 1997, if I am not wrong. And with the on/off days of OS 9 I had sort of a 50/50 on my computers. With OS X (and if you were lucky enough to get some cheap RAM :)) there seems to be extremely limited errors.

Example: Our old friend the force quit.
In OS 9 if you tried to change an application that may have stalled, you would have to force quit. The message for it was scary, black and white, and not always successful. In OS X you get a more friendly version of Force Quit and you should be successful. You can even change back and forth between applications.

As for how intelligent peecee users and Mac users are, I think the major problem with peecee users is how they ramble about speed and power with their computers, when they are holding back how F!!!!! up their Windoze OS really is.

And WTF does Windoze still need some stupid file for managing memory above 640KB? That is why some peecee users can't make bootable CDs all the time, because that file is also necessary.

There are lots of other reasons for why peecee users just need to see the light. The only reason I would support peecee is for applications I ABSOLUTELY NEED that only run on Windoze. (The last time I checked, however, my number for that was zero. :D)

Fear the King.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
PC Users vs. Mac Users

I don't really know what the correlation between a computer user's intelligence and their platform choice is, but I can still make generalizations. Mac users tend to be more savvy, since they appreciate the both the technological superiority of a Mac as well as Window’s shortcomings, although I have to admit that some of the most computer whizzes I know are all PC users.

Anyhow, the typical PC tend to treat their computers like an appliance, and they typically don’t do much more than just surf, type, and maybe play a game here and there. The PC users that really annoy me, however, are those macho types who don’t really know anything about computers but who are hardheaded and opinionated. They typically throw out phrases like “Macs suck” or “PCs are cheaper” without much thought. When pressed for the rationale of their opinions, they give the basic answers that underscore their ignorance: “Macs can’t play games”, “No software for Macs”, “Windows is superior because it’s compatible with everything”, “PCs are faster.” They used to say Macs are “toys” or that “a real computer don’t need graphics” back in the days when everyone pounded on their IBM beige boxes running DOS. But of course, they stopped saying that when Windows 95 came out.

Anyhow, when you tell they about the lower total cost of ownership of a Mac, OS X’s superiority in multitasking and its powerful UNIX roots, and the megahertz myth, they respond with a wide-eyed confused look before dismissing your points altogether with more “PCs are cheaper/faster” type of arguments. :rolleyes:

People always assert that PCs are better since they are more compatible software. Well, imagine if the roads were re-paved the next day so that only Ford Pintos can drive easily on them. Do we start saying that BMWs “suck” because they can’t drive just as easily on the new roads? Do we say they “suck” because they have a higher price tag? Heck no! Compatibility has nothing to do with innate superiority. Just because a Ford Pinto can drive on the new roads more easily does not change the inherent technological superiority of a marvelously engineered BMW. Same thing with computers: Just because more software is compatible with a PC doesn’t make a Mac inferior technologically.

I know that I’m preaching to the converted, but it’s kind of cathartic for me to vent the frustration I encounter in PC-land (we use Compaqs equipped with Windows NT at work) day in day out.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I don't know about intelligence, because statistically the average Mac user should be about on par with the average PC user IQ-wise. But certainly, in terms of annoyance, the average Mac *zealot* is just as annoying as the average PC zealot. I yearn for a world where terms like "M$," "Pcheese," and yes, also "Crapple" and "Crapintosh" are no longer used. How about we just be objective and use whatever the hell we want to use, damnit?

Alex

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: PC Users vs. Mac Users

Originally posted by macktheknife
I know that I’m preaching to the converted, but it’s kind of cathartic for me to vent the frustration I encounter in PC-land (we use Compaqs equipped with Windows NT at work) day in day out.

My god... how can you deal with compaq crap all day long???

I feel lucky that we only have about 30-40 peecee's at the office. We have about 250 Mac's. We are moving every peecee with win2k, at least until the testing of winhexpee is completed. I would wager that we will be rolling out OS X before we roll out hexpee though. :D

I might be making a trip to NJ in the near future to check out the xp lab... since my boss made the suggestion that I should go. After I get my Apple portable certification, I will make arrangements to visit that lab. I just don't look forward to the up to 5 hour drive to get there or back again.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by spuncan
one shortcut only Windows users would design ctrl-alt-l (locks ur keyboard in windows) thats all.

Leave it to windblows to come up with that...

Something else that blows about peecee's... IF you set a 'power-on' password and forget what it is, you have a new door stop. You can't even power it up and get into the bios to reset it... My boss forgot what she set her's to (she has two peecee's and a TiBook, guess which she uses most... :D) and now the computer is completely useless (more then before).

U

Unix Is Easy?

Originally posted by alex_ant
I don't know about intelligence, because statistically the average Mac user should be about on par with the average PC user IQ-wise. But certainly, in terms of annoyance, the average Mac *zealot* is just as annoying as the average PC zealot. I yearn for a world where terms like "M$," "Pcheese," and yes, also "Crapple" and "Crapintosh" are no longer used. How about we just be objective and use whatever the hell we want to use, damnit?

Alex

Yes I agree but it will never happen, there's too many ignorant people in the world...

If it wasn't for the amount of posts some of the zealots make on this forum I would use the ignore feature. :(

U

Unix Is Easy?

Originally posted by AlphaTech

Leave it to windblows to come up with that...

Something else that blows about peecee's... IF you set a 'power-on' password and forget what it is, you have a new door stop. You can't even power it up and get into the bios to reset it... My boss forgot what she set her's to (she has two peecee's and a TiBook, guess which she uses most... :D) and now the computer is completely useless (more then before).

I've helped someone out that did this before, reset the bios jumper on the motherboard. Very simple.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Unix Is Easy?

I've helped someone out that did this before, reset the bios jumper on the motherboard. Very simple.

If you can find it on the system... considering it's an old hp system and all that crap.

U

Unix Is Easy?

If you can find it on the system... considering it's an old hp system and all that crap.

All the motherboards I've tried (one gigabyte, one abit, one alienware something) but if you pull the battery out and put it back in (while the system is off, heh) it will reset the bios.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I think most peecee users are afraid of Macs mainly because they don't have a clue about them. People by nature are afraid of things they don't know or understand, and therefore dismiss them in their minds rather than to cause confusion or dismay.

Most peecee users I know don't know sh*t about how computers work technically. They don't know much at all to be honest. There are some who know how to hack Windoze & fix stuff, but for the most part that's a very small %.

Most Mac users that I've come into contact with know how to work on their machines. It almost seems second nature how to troubleshoot Mac OS, and most people who use Macs know how to fix them in many cases.

It really makes perfect sense when u consider how ass-backwards Windoze is as compared to Mac OS....no wonder why so many confused peecee users...;)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by Unix Is Easy?

Yes I agree but it will never happen, there's too many ignorant people in the world...

If it wasn't for the amount of posts some of the zealots make on this forum I would use the ignore feature. :(

exactly.....if one side finally dropped their prejudices it might actually happen though....but it can take centuries for people to drop prejudices

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
PCUser: Macs suck...my PC got a virus the other day and stopped working...
MacUser: Why do they suck? So what happened to your computer..
PCUser: They're Macs! Actually, the modem fell out of my Dell so I knocked it on the side and it worked again after a reformat...
MacUser: <Walks away>
so on and so forth...

I find that PC users have way more problems but are just so ignorant that they think that their problems are common and Macs suck for no reason or something...

basic

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2002
uk
i'd love to know what the point is in pc bashing on here? seems a little strange to me.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
as a techie, i will always run into clueless end users who know almost nothing but they will always know something odd that i don't about their machine

it is kind of like a foreigner learning english for the first time and they will chance upon a word no one else uses, but they will take to it in every other sentence...he he

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by basic
i'd love to know what the point is in pc bashing on here? seems a little strange to me.

Alright newbie... This is a Mac site, so peecee's are fair game. I created this thread to get other people's input about the intelligence level of the average user, BOTH Mac and peecee (see the poll above :rolleyes: ).

If you can't handle us slamming into peecee's then this is NOT the site for you.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England

Alright newbie... This is a Mac site, so peecee's are fair game. I created this thread to get other people's input about the intelligence level of the average user, BOTH Mac and peecee (see the poll above :rolleyes: ).

If you can't handle us slamming into peecee's then this is NOT the site for you.
Hehehehe, go AlphaTech! :D
Basic, u read the domain name right? 'Macrumors.com', did that not tip you off that most here are in favour of macs????
:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.