Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Does anyone know how to remove the eyepiece for the 5D Mark II? I don't feel like trying to force it off, since it feels like it's only very tight. After having the camera for a couple weeks, somehow dust managed to get in the eyepiece...Never had this problem with my 400D that I've had for the past couple of years! :(

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I don't know what you mean by eyepiece (the eyepiece is the black bit that slides right off), but if you mean viewfinder then that's very common on the 5D and has to be addressed through the lens mount, not from the rear of the camera.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I don't know what you mean by eyepiece (the eyepiece is the black bit that slides right off), but if you mean viewfinder then that's very common on the 5D and has to be addressed through the lens mount, not from the rear of the camera.

Yeah somehow got dust in the viewfinder. Sucks, as I've only had the camera for a couple weeks now. Any tips on how to clean it? Or do I have to take it somewhere to get it cleaned professionally?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Its very easy to do yourself. First, try blowing it off with a rocket blower. Blow through the lens mount.

If that's not working, pull the focusing screen out with tweezers and blow it clean.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Its very easy to do yourself. First, try blowing it off with a rocket blower. Blow through the lens mount.

If that's not working, pull the focusing screen out with tweezers and blow it clean.

Any tutorials on how to do this (with screenshots)? I'm a noob, so I don't wanna damage anything, especially since I popped a significant amount of money on this. :confused:

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Well, used a blower. But in the process...I accidently nudged my hand, and scratched the damn focus screen. :(

Now I'm forcing myself to get a new focus screen, but a much better one. I'm getting the EG-D, which has the focus grid. :D

Damn dust forcing me to do it now! :rolleyes:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
is focus screen the mirror that reflects the view to the viewfinder? If it is, my 1000D has this problem also but since it doesnt affect the image produce, I care less. Its just annoying to see some spec of dust but I guess its better then possibly damaging it.

Now I'm forcing myself to get a new focus screen, but a much better one. I'm getting the EG-D, which has the focus grid.
Hmm, I thought Canon got a better one than the focus grid which is for lens w/ Aperture f/2.8 and faster? And Canon should seriously consider a auto of/on grid, it makes Canon look like ancient compared to Nikon, haha.

Btw, how is your MKII treating ya?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.