PDA

View Full Version : Virgin May Show Apple a Thing or Two

MacBytes
Mar 10, 2004, 09:05 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Virgin May Show Apple a Thing or Two (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040310100527)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

edesignuk
Mar 10, 2004, 09:13 AM
Richard Branson is a very good businessman, with fingers in many pies. I would agree with the article in that competition from him shouldn't be taken lightly.

Savage Henry
Mar 10, 2004, 09:31 AM
Richard Branson is a very good businessman, with fingers in many pies. I would agree with the article in that competition from him shouldn't be taken lightly.

Would this be the same Richard Branson who won his rail franchise by saying that he would do so much better than the State owned line and hence promise to pay big premiums back to the State out of the profits, but has ended up going cap in hand to the SRA for hundres of millions of pounds of Governenment subsidy?

Yes I thought it was. He's just a sweet talking seller of sugar pills.

He was never interested in this market until the vast amount of positive press that an underdog like Apple received. I very much doubt his service will be one of significant quality, but the with the PR engine behind them, Virgin should at least help Apple by keeping them on their toes.

Photorun
Mar 10, 2004, 09:59 AM
What a hoot, another "whoa, look out Apple." WTF?!? The article writer seemed to want fall all over Richard Branson or perform [ahem] "favors" to him. I could resist but flame email the article writer in which I put "you're a great humor writer."

CMYanko
Mar 10, 2004, 10:30 AM
Just another story of how the latest new entry into the market spells big trouble for Apple from the same guy who said no one wouldbuy a mini iPod. There is simply no shortage of people looking to predict the next 'big thing'. I have no doubt that over time Apple will see more competition and ultimately loose market share but the iPod and it's successors will still be better and cooler than anything else out there.

montex
Mar 10, 2004, 11:51 AM
Does Virgin Records really believe that those 'crazy teens' are going to download music to their cell phones in great numbers? Think about this for a moment. First, you're going to need a special cell phone with lots of memory. Then it will need some sort of high speed connector for interfacing with a computer. Then you have to pay for what I'm sure will be a more expensive cell-phone plan that includes the music download service. And I'm sure you'd have to pay for Virgin's monthly fee for streaming music. Sound like its expensive and too much work?
Next think about the nature of cell phones. My cell phone reception is spotty at best, due to the local geography. Why would anyone be willing to risk cold hard cash to download music into a cell phone that could become corrupted enroute? And how do you get the music out of the cell phone to your computer? USB? Firewire? Bluetooth? Won't that add to the cost of the device? Woudn't a cellphone/iPod unit cost more than just the iPod? What if your SuperCellPod is lost or stolen - are you then SOL on the lost music, too?
And who are these teenagers who have limitless income to spend on music? True, I bought tons of CD's when I was a kid but I got to keep those and I still have them. I doubt that music which was bought and saved to a cell phone would likely make the trip to a CD archive.
It all sounds like a big, expensive hassle to me. The iPod works because it is simple, easy and does it's (one) job well. This is just another business man with a Me-too idea that will fail against Apple proven model of success.

mrsebastian
Mar 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
run away, run away, virgin is coming! i agree with photorun, WTF! the only thing i could see is virgin monopolizing the european market, since apple hasn't been able to get through the red tape.

formatc
Mar 10, 2004, 01:11 PM
From: http://www.beverage-digest.com/editorial/980508.html

UK-based company reportedly will try to "establish Virgin Cola as a credible alternative to Coke and Pepsi (and) inform consumer of 'the Virgin Cola difference."

Multiple industry executives provide details of Virgin's plan: 1) Virgin will launch with "highly aggressive stunt (featuring) 'The Little Cola That Could.'" 2) publicity will use taste test results, Virgin Cola UK results, stories about Branson. 3) heavy media planned. 4) Virgin says Pepsi's globe icon and Coke's "Always" campaign leave little room for flexibility or brand innovation.

Blah, blah, blah. Whatever Richard.

gerlitzappel
Mar 10, 2004, 01:46 PM
If he drives a tank through a wall of iPods it might just catch on

nuckinfutz
Mar 10, 2004, 02:36 PM
Yawn.

The mere fact that "Genius" Branson has jumped into the WMA crowd means to me he's unable to significantly unable to differentiate his store from the rest. I'm not worried at all. With HP and possibly others jumping into the iTunes fray. Apple is rolling along smoothly while we get lip service from everyone else.

montex
Mar 10, 2004, 04:53 PM
Nothing was learned from the dot-com bubble burst. There should always be a real, definable market and a solid business plan in place before a new venture is started. Apple has proven that the iPod/iTunes/ITMS triad works and it is the only solution that is successful.

Napster is fizzing out. MusicPlay is irrelevant. And Dell can't seem to give the DJ away, but LOOK OUT, here comes genius boy with his big company and even bigger ego to show Apple how its done. Please. I think all that Helium has gotten to his brain.

TomSmithMacEd
Mar 10, 2004, 07:15 PM
The thing I see is Apple has the lead in this market, but really not too many people are interested in this. I'm in high school and all the kids just laugh at the Pepsi deal, because they just say" I can get them all on Kazaa anyway." (It works out nice for me, because I get all of their free caps:) ), but I just don't see any music store market exploding, because people love free.

isus
Mar 10, 2004, 08:50 PM
i'm 18. that would put me in this 'hip teen' demographic.

i use a normal cell phone and itms.

i'm not moving to some ************ pay as you go phone or some ****ty music store just bc of marketing.

wasn't buymusic.com a big marketing thing? i mean hell, they had a guy come into a wannabe apple commercial and break a guitar... w00t! that is so cool, i will go buy from them!

no.

ph_555_shag
Mar 11, 2004, 06:29 AM
good article about the article

www.billpalmer.net/ipodgarage/ipod000056.html

btw..... yes this guy is seriously on somthing

edit: woops thanx for the fix wordmunger

wordmunger
Mar 11, 2004, 08:21 AM
good article about the article

www.billpalmer.net/ipodgarage/ipod000056.html

btw..... yes this guy is seriously on somthing

Nice fisking. This guy is a little less blatantly biased than the responses so far in this thread, and makes some good points. One thing he neglects is the Europe angle. Virgin has many more stores in Europe, and if Virgin could get a head start on ITMS there, they might be able to establish a foothold. But again, we have no reason to believe Apple isn't already ahead of Virgin in Europe as well. Virgin would be better off partnering with Apple than trying to compete with them.

P.S. Here's the correct link (http://www.billpalmer.net/ipodgarage/ipod000056.html) (I fixed it in the quote above as well)