Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Here's the link:
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2004/tc20040310_2724_tc056.htm

The tone of the article seems to indicate to me that the author isn't a fan of Macs or Apple in general. The number of logical flaws in his article is staggering, and if my day at work is slow, I may come back and point some out. To say that Virgin is a successful marketer, but Dell and Wal-mart are not seems a bit disingenuous.

In regards to the news bit, my main question would be: Is Virgin popular with young people? I've always been favorable predisposed to them, because I liked the cola (which flopped), the MegaStores and the airline is nice. I always attributed that to my strong anglophilia. Does the average american have any idea what Virgin is, and will they be able to hear the word "Virgin" without snickering?

And using the .WMA standard. What's that about? Is it any good? Really, I don't know.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
He's started to oil his PR machine, so expect a lot of this kind of pap in the media. I'm certainly expecting at least one or two forum threads.

Even PC using Music (capitol intended) lovers want an iPod.

They won't suffer a piece of cheap crap with a bright 'V' logo that plays substandard audio files.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
wma format works fine. i'm sure its just a variant of mp3 as it works and sounds the same. never had a problem playing one on my mac.

I think this guys got it wrong, Virgin is going to have an uphill battle to gain market share, besides most people that Virgin is targeting are in the ideal iPod market, so what do u think people will pick, a music store, or an MP3 player. People who have iPods are much more likely to buy from Apple so its going to be tough to convince these people to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.