Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I realize there's plenty of threads for earphone recommendations, but I'm also aware that the iPod isn't exactly an audiophile device (especially considering the bit-rate served up by iTunes).

So. Given a moderate budget (up to $250USD), what recommendations are there for in-ear headphones that won't be wasted on the iPod?

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I realize there's plenty of threads for earphone recommendations, but I'm also aware that the iPod isn't exactly an audiophile device (especially considering the bit-rate served up by iTunes).

So. Given a moderate budget (up to $250USD), what recommendations are there for in-ear headphones that won't be wasted on the iPod?

$250 for earbuds is a moderate budget? :eek:

I have the ety ER6is (~$60) and I have no complaints about the sound.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
You can get almost anything in that price range. Shure SE530's can be picked up used for that (they are going for ~300USD new from headphone.com), Etymotic ER4's sound amazing, ER6's sound great for a lot less money. I've heard that the HF2's are not great so I would avoid them.

As far as quality of music, if you care enough to drop 250 on phones, encode your own music and that way you decide how it sounds.

Go to a store, take your iPod, listen to headphones, pick a pair that you like.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iPod works with uncompresed music.
You can also buy 256bit AAC DRM-free music from iTunes.
Nothing is "wasted" on iPod. It might be wasted by user's lack of knowledge or lack of ability to search on something that's been beaten to death.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
The Shure SE series are good, as are Westones. You can get Shure earphones from the Apple online store, and Westones from RadTech, just to name a few places.

I have a pair of the cheapest Shures (SE110's) and they're good. The sound quality isn't quite worth the price, but for the sound isolation they give, I'm happy.

For all your portable hi-fi needs, http://www.head-fi.org. They have a sub-forum dedicated to in-ear headphones.

About iTunes sound quality... on a hi-fi separates setup that cost several thousand $, I can tell a difference between 128kbps AAC and the original CD, but it is a surprisingly small difference. High frequencies seem a little bit recessed (earphones tend to suck with high frequencies anyway), but other than that, I can hardly hear any difference at all.

If you're really worried about sound quality you shouldn't be buying 128kbps iTunes tracks, you should be buying CDs and ripping in Apple Lossless.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
iPod works with uncompresed music.
You can also buy 256bit AAC DRM-free music from iTunes.
Nothing is "wasted" on iPod. It might be wasted by user's lack of knowledge or lack of ability to search on something that's been beaten to death.

Thanks for the character assassination.

The fact remains that the iPod isn't an audiophile device. And not all of my music (or pod casts for that matter) is at CD quality.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's a limitation on your library, not an iPod limit.

I buy CDs and rip lossless.

I have a backup DJ setup of which iPod outputs line level audio via dock connector adapter.

Audiophile are known to carry headphone amp with their portable music players, but as you know those are sort of pricy.

FYI, full sized headphones will be better bang for the buck than in ear headphones, so you might want to look into that if quality is more important than portability.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
At the price range he is looking at and running with iPod as a source, IEM's are a better idea. The iPod has a tiny little headphone amp in it and running most nice big headphones puts you right at the top of it's range. It distorts and sounds really terrible. My senn's sound like garbage attached to an unamped iPod. For the budget he has, you can pick up some really great IEM's that you will have trouble using more than half volume on your iPod with. That leaves some headroom to keep things dynamic.

As stated above, check out head-fi.org or headphone.com, they are both excellent sources of info (and much less fanboy crap than here).

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
The new apple in ear headphones with microphone/ remote appear to be good quality, but i have no first hand experience.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
Beats by Dre TOUR FTW!

Or, spend an extra $100 over your budget, and Beats by Dre STUDIO FTW!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Beats by Dre TOUR FTW!

Or, spend an extra $100 over your budget, and Beats by Dre STUDIO FTW!

From what I have read, they are the worst sounding POS made in a long time and really over priced. Never listened to them though.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i have a couple pairs of older shure e4c's. they've been great for me.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
The new in-ear headphone from Apple is a steal considering it's only $89 and you get dual driver. You really get to hear the crispness and clarity. The bass is responsive yet not too boomy. Very accurate IEM imo.

dL

Thomasthetug

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Winterpeg, Manitoba
Hi i don't want to "hijack" the thread, but i recently got skull candy 'smokin buds' and when i listen to them on my ipod touch 2nd gen the music comes out the ear phones, as well as the speaker, otherwise i love skull candy and recommend them :p.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I am currently enjoying the Sleek SA6 with Bass+ and Treble++ tuning ports with my 2nd gen Touch and prefer them for overall sound and comfort over my UE TF10, and Shure SE530. With the VQ Tuning System and replaceable cables they are pretty hard to beat at around $200. If you have a 2nd gen touch I would also recommend picking up one of Sleeks iPhone cables that allow you to remotely control play\pause, next\prev with 1, 2, or 3 clicks of the cable mounted control button.

Although slightly over your budget they can also pick them up bundled with the Sleek W1 Kleer Technology wireless transmitter for under $300.

leifers

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
yeah...i like skullcandy, nice in-ear earbuds for like 10 bucks, the seem to sound pretty good

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys. In the end I went for some UE Super.fi 5 Pros that were on sale. I just got them this morning and woah, they're good.

The only downside is that they're a bit of a fiddle to stick in your ears, but once they're there, they're completely comfortable.

Finally, I have bass and mid-range again - I've not heard Metallica sound this good in quite a while.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama

Jeez... $250 as a "moderate" budget... I just don't understand audiophilia...

Sound quality is important to me, but there is a limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.