PDA

View Full Version : Apple Puts Coal in Stocking for Would-Be IPhone Gifters

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Puts Coal in Stocking for Would-Be IPhone Gifters (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090119163324)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Tallest Skil
Jan 19, 2009, 03:34 PM
Or... she could have just bought an iPhone 3G gift card and given it to him...

winmacguy
Jan 19, 2009, 03:42 PM

According to another post I read prior to posting that article - you just need to sign up on behalf of your partner - so just their details instead of yours an you are set.

bruinsrme
Jan 19, 2009, 03:47 PM
And how is this Apples fault?

mainstreetmark
Jan 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
many of the articles that make it on to Macbytes seem to be poorly researched.

Of course, perhaps i should say, many of the articles that make it onto the internet as a whole are poorly researched.

t0mat0
Jan 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
"Simply put, it's impossible to surprise someone with an iPhone."

Complete BS in a way.

How about a handmade card, and a picture of an iPhone inside, some nice words etc, then a trip to an Apple store to a pre-arranged session with an Apple helper. Then they select a cover, any accessories etc.

Would be a surprise, because an iPhone isn't card sized.

atszyman
Jan 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
Well since you're not authorized to make changes to another person's phone account, I would imagine that your choices would be to purchase the phone at the unsubsidized price, take the person with you so that they can be verified as eligible for the subsidized price, or get them a gift card.

bigjohn
Jan 19, 2009, 04:11 PM
I wanted to get one for my mom, went to the Apple Store with a copy of her ID, I know her SSN. She is an existing subscriber. The guy asked his manager and everything worked out great, on Christmas Day I called the box and the phone rang from inside, couldn't have worked out better.

So it's probably hit or miss on experiences, my local Apple Store hooked me up because it was obvious I wasn't trying to scam them.

gkarris
Jan 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
What's the complaint here?

You can't buy ANY subsidized phone unless you sign the contract yourself or have the receiver of said "gift" sign the contract...

:rolleyes:

Sweetbike40
Jan 19, 2009, 04:39 PM
This is dumb. They could have bought a gift card. I guess only if the person buying the gift is will be paying for the phone bill also for 2 years, it makes sense that the person receiving the phone has to sign a contract.

aristobrat
Jan 19, 2009, 04:52 PM
I wanted to get one for my mom, went to the Apple Store with a copy of her ID, I know her SSN. She is an existing subscriber. The guy asked his manager and everything worked out great, on Christmas Day I called the box and the phone rang from inside, couldn't have worked out better.
For most people, that's a no-go simply for the fact that when you leave the Apple Store, the new iPhone is active, which means whichever phone had the phone# that the iPhone has becomes inactive.

In your case, that should have meant your mom's existing AT&T phone stopped working when you left the Apple Store and anyone who called her between then and Christmas would have made the iPhone under the tree ring.

Kilamite
Jan 19, 2009, 04:56 PM
Course, all these bloggers think AT&T is the only iPhone carrier and forget there is a world outside America... :rolleyes:

macbookfan
Jan 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
How to surprise an iphone spouse or child on the same att plan as you. (aka upgrade)

1. steal there phone for a few hours.
2. take it with you to the apple store.
3. upgrade there phone to the iphone.
4. put the iphone sim in the old phone so it still makes calls.
5. get the original phone back to the would be iphone receiver.
6. hide the iphone until Christmas/birthday/ect.

DMann
Jan 19, 2009, 07:48 PM

Exactly... I gave an iPhone gift card to both my sister and her husband this year. What made the gift cards more desirable was the fact that gift cards incur no sales tax, (savings of $42) and the receiver of the gift card has the option of holding out until June for the next Rev if he or she chooses to do so. Also, the small boxes which hold the gift cards are much easier to wrap, and the surprise packs a much bigger punch. No regrets all around - they both replaced their Blackberries the very next day.