Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
dear friends,
i am looking to buy an external HDD to use with time machine on my mac. The thing is I also have a Macbook pro with Tiger on it and an Airport Extreme. If i connect the hard drive to the Airport, will the Macbook see it and be able to use it or just my iMac with Leopard? The iMac has a 250GB internal drive and the Macbook pro has a 120 GB internal hardrive. should i be looking at the 500GB or 1TB external drive if I wanna use these two computers with it? Also do i need Firewire or just USB considering the USB only version of the external drive are cheaper and the Airport extreme doesn't have a Firewire port. This drive will primarily always be connected to the Airport so i don't know if I need Firewire.I searched on the internet and couldn't find an answer to my question.

these are the two drives im looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ODE=NEXTAG&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCWw0fzTCjCVqHCjCdwwp

and
http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Externa...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232406015&sr=8-2

Thank you very much,
Jay

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Get the USB version. Unless you wan to be able to re-use the drive for some other use later.

1TB is the best value today, you don't save much money with a 500gb drive

Yes Tiger can see the drive but you will need to do a manual backup.

Time machine will fill the entire drive if you let it. to prevent this and allow for manual backups to the notebook partition the drive. or buy two drives

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
so the 1TB drive is the best option? Also, will my notebook be able to access my time machine iMac back ups or not or vice-versa? and the notebook can't use the drive if I don't partition it?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
so the 1TB drive is the best option? Also, will my notebook be able to access my time machine iMac back ups or not or vice-versa? and the notebook can't use the drive if I don't partition it?

Is this because you just want to access some files to off load to each? The way it was explained to me at the Apple Store was once the external drive is setup with Time Machine and backed up, you could use it as you normally would and thus if the need be to place files from another Mac on it you could and your notebook could read those files (bearing it's an iBook or MB to iMac). I had no need to ask about windows to Mac if that is your question. Hope that answers your question :)

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Is this because you just want to access some files to off load to each? The way it was explained to me at the Apple Store was once the external drive is setup with Time Machine and backed up, you could use it as you normally would and thus if the need be to place files from another Mac on it you could and your notebook could read those files (bearing it's an iBook or MB to iMac). I had no need to ask about windows to Mac if that is your question. Hope that answers your question :)

what i mean is if i use the external Hdd with time machine to back up my iMac. could my macbook pro also access the iMac back ups. Also, say i back up my iMac to the external hdd. could i also back up/store files from my macbook to the same external hdd when there is already an iMac time machine back up on it or would i need to partition it?

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
dont worry about firewire. External hds with firewire 800 are way more expensive, and ones with firewire 400 are more expensive as well, even though usb 2.0 is faster the the fw 400

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
dont worry about firewire. External hds with firewire 800 are way more expensive, and ones with firewire 400 are more expensive as well, even though usb 2.0 is faster the the fw 400

:rolleyes:

False. Even Firewire 400 is faster than USB 2.0. If you want the luxury of speed for the sacrifice of a small price premium, Firewire is the way to go... and a Firewire hard drive frees up a valuable USB port.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I just bought a Seagate Desk for Mac and it works great over FireWire 800. I wouldn't trust anything WD sells ever again, my last drive failed on me so I got this one because it has a 5 year warranty.

andimaciphone

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
Hereford,UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.