Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
I connected my imac to aiport express and the airport express to my wireless network and to my printer.

The light on the airport express device is green and the computer suggests I am connected to it.

When trying to print, though, i get a message that the printer is off-line, and in addition, the wireless network sometimes drops altogether.

My questions:

1. Anyone knows how to deal with this?
2. Why do i even need to connect the aiport express to the wireless network if i only want to use it to use my printer remotely? i don't seem to manage to connect to it without the network, but maybe i am missing something?

Thanks so much!

david

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
You will have to go find and download the network driver for that printer.

Chances are, you only have the drivers on your computer to support printing via USB and those don't work sending the message through a network cable (your AirPort Express). You should be able to find the network driver on your printer's manufacturers website. I think Apple has a page somewhere that links you to all those, but it's just as easy to Google "Cannon," for example, to go to their site and get the drivers.

Hope that helps.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
I connected my imac to aiport express and the airport express to my wireless network and to my printer.

The light on the airport express device is green and the computer suggests I am connected to it.

When trying to print, though, i get a message that the printer is off-line, and in addition, the wireless network sometimes drops altogether.

My questions:

1. Anyone knows how to deal with this?
2. Why do i even need to connect the aiport express to the wireless network if i only want to use it to use my printer remotely? i don't seem to manage to connect to it without the network, but maybe i am missing something?

Thanks so much!

david

Try deleting the printer, then add the printer again while connected to the Airport express. BTW which printer is it?

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
Go to Applications/ Utilities/ Airport utility, to see if your AE is registering the printer. If so then you should be able to network that printer. Go to settings/ print & fax. delete the printer then add it back. That is all you need. Should work perfectly.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
Sorry if I gave any bad info in the opinions of those with more knowledge than me, but my advice just came from Apple's own Support people. When I got my AirPort Express 2 months ago, I had the exact same problem (got the same explanation he described). When I called Apple to get help in solving the problem, that is what they told me the reason was, that's what they told me to do, and that's what worked - for me.

mshirtcliffe

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
I'm having this problem but AE doesn't see the printer. We've printed when they were connected via cable and the wifi proximity guide is good but we're still not able to print wirelessly. Any help would be fantastic.
Thanks
Meryl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.