Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vista-Victim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Hi,
Hope I'm in the right place, one year old Mac Newbie-

Have MacBook w/Leopard.
Have Parallels 4.0 and WinXP.
I use Cisco Anyconnect and then Remote desktop in to corporate Wintel notebook at work. Works great.

Now... how in the world does this Beancounter get into my Wintel notebook workstation at work from the Mac desktop at home?

I simply want the same functionality I have under the first case.

Is there software I need and on which computer (work=host, client=home I presume?).

I Googled and tried VNC and am getting lost in the documentation, IS guys have placed this as low priority - although one has an iPhone and is working on 'em.

I know my home/client IP address and I do have the work IP address, what's worked best for this group?

Thanks!
P.S. This my attempt to avoid getting a Vista box...(had one, too painful...) and then getting the Business/Ultimate edition because only those editions have RDC whereas XP works fine. That's why I like Leopard -
One flavor
Time machine
Don't really need to buy extra software
Things tend to work, the software/hardware integration, what a concept.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
VPN = Cisco (not vnc)
Remote Desktop as WINDOWS remote desktop? Search macupdate.com for a mac client

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can get Microsoft Remote Desktop from Microsoft's site, which will allow you to connect to your windows machine exactly like you do with Windows Remote Desktop client (the interface is a bit different though...)

Alternatively, you could try CoRD to achieve the same thing, although personally I prefer Microsoft's offering

For the VPN connection, there is an OS X version of AnyConnect available but I think you need a Cisco ID to download it - your IT department can probably help you there.

Good luck!

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
If you work at Cisco ask your IT guy about it, he should be able to hook you up, last I know you had to get a dongle that you synced with your mac and it generated a key for the vpn session.
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.