Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tefleming

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
ATL
I am having trouble getting a friend of mine's setup to work.

He's got an HP Photosmart C4480 (usb to Time Capsule)

It prints fine from his macbook, but not at all from his wife's PC (laptop with XP).

The PC will print fine if i directly connect the printer (usb) to the laptop (but that kinda defeats the point).

I tried changing the address from time capsule.local to the ip address of the time capsule (found that suggested somewhere online) and that didn't work.

Not sure if it was before or after the above, but it worked *once* when I had the laptop connected to the TC via Ethernet (which, again, kinda defeats the point).

I also tried configuring a plain generic TCP/IP printer port and setting up the printer that way (bypassing Bonjour) but it didn't work. (EDIT: Just saw a guide linked, not sure if I chose Custom Settings for the Network card - will try that first when I go back over - would still love to know if there are any other things I could be trying.)

What other things can I try with the hardware they're using?

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
EDIT: Just saw a guide linked, not sure if I chose Custom Settings for the Network card - will try that first when I go back over - would still love to know if there are any other things I could be trying.

Don't know what you mean about network card?

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
OK, I see..
You click on Custom > Settings. This is just to confirm that raw port 9100 is selected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.