Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackChampaign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I've been using a G4 PowerBook until recently when I got a new iMac.

The PowerBook is a G4 and the software is version 10.4.11 and the iMacs software is 10.5.4.

My question is could I use the install discs the iMac came with and put it on my PowerBook? And if so, is it gonna be a hassle to do?

tl;dr: Is my PowerBook old and busted, or does it still have enough in it to run newer software?

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but any help would be greatly appreciated here.

JackChampaign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Really?

"Ahem. Nope. You'll have to buy a retail copy of leopard."

No other suggestions? I'm glad that you announced that you were condescending to post a reply to my question. There was really no need for that.

Maybe you should think about changing your name to Eddyiskindofaprick.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The software restore discs have computer-specific drivers for the video card, and other hardware. I'm certain that while the computer will accept the discs, i.e. it will mount in the operating system, you cannot boot up to it or even start the installation process. PowerBook G4s should definitely be capable of running the Leopard operating system. Systems with G4/G5/Intel processors faster than 867 MHz, 512 MB or more RAM, and a DVD drive are capable of running Leopard. Also take into consideration when upgrading the OS that some of your older software may not work under the new OS, so check whether those applications are supported in OS X 10.5 or download/purchase newer versions of software.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Really?

"Ahem. Nope. You'll have to buy a retail copy of leopard."

No other suggestions? I'm glad that you announced that you were condescending to post a reply to my question. There was really no need for that.

Maybe you should think about changing your name to Eddyiskindofaprick.

It's just people ask this question a lot, and some people have less patience then others for that kind of thing.;)

Basically, the restore discs that come with a new Mac generally only work on that exact model. In some cases it will work, but it's not very likely, mostly because even though brand new Leopard discs are universal, the restore discs for your iMac are not, so it won't work at all. Sorry, you're going to have to buy a retail copy.

But make sure your PowerBook is 867 MHz or above, otherwise Leopard won't work at all. And hey, if it can't Tiger is still a very good and useful OS; I use it on my iBook G4 everyday. :)

JackChampaign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
>>JediMeister

>>Cassie

I really appreciate both of your help. I guess maybe I should have announced that I was new to the forum or lurked around and made sure the question I had hadn't already been asked or answered. :eek: That was my bad.

Thanks again.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
>>JediMeister

>>Cassie

I really appreciate both of your help. I guess maybe I should have announced that I was new to the forum or lurked around and made sure the question I had hadn't already been asked or answered. :eek: That was my bad.

Thanks again.

It's perfectly alright, it's not a big deal. But I'm sure you can understand that answering a question that pops up often can get a little annoying. Most of us are happy to answer the question anyway, at least for new members. Some people aren't as understanding.:rolleyes:

And you're very welcome, if you have any more questions, the kind members here will be happy to help.:)

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
>>JediMeister

>>Cassie

Thanks again.

Not trying to be Sirus2400iskindofajerk or anything, but your question has been asked and answered quite a few times in the year or so that I've been here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.