Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironglass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Well, apparently the other day my G4 Mac Mini's hard drive spontaneously died (took it to the Apple Store to verify this) and am now looking for an upgrade.

Because Apple's upgrade charges are so ridiculously expensive, I decided to go about doing the old fashioned way - doing it myself. Newegg's prices are much better.

However, I've been having trouble finding one that might work. Would this hard drive work on my G4 Mac Mini?

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Any laptop harddrive would work. Do yourself a favor and get a nice 200GB or larger drive - can even get 7200rpm now as well in that size. Opening it is a pain, but after you do it once you become much braver for the next time...;)

Ironglass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
@reebzor
So would the one I linked to on Newegg, the ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive, would that work also since its ATA and not SATA? Or does it specifically need to be an Ultra ATA/100?

@ziwi
Thanks, but thats alright. Its my parents and they've told me they wouldn't need so much space. They were doing pretty fine with an 80GB before.

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
I just installed the 160GB version of that drive yesterday. For far it's working great.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
2.5" drives are getting super cheap. I just got a 320 for my sisters MB and it was like $80. Definitely get the biggest you can. The mini is a pain to open so you wont want to do it often!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.