Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
agreenster said:
That is some crazy stuff.

Now if we only spent that much time trying to cure cancer...

The article claimed that it had important applications in fire/rescue operations. I'm not saying we shouldn't spend time and money fighting cancer, but there are other important things to do as well.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Interesting. Makes me recall those loader machines in the movie 'Aliens' before they headed onto the planet and in the climax.
I don't know about fielding something like that for infrantrymen. Speaking as a former one, it's another gee-whiz-bang gadget that would just get in the way.
There's an old saying, "If you can't eat it, drink it, or shoot it, you don't want to carry it.". I'm sure you'd eventually have to carry the damn thing.
The most dear things for groundpounders is their weapon, squad-mate, artillery support, food and water, and most of all:their wits.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
JesseJames said:
There's an old saying, "If you can't eat it, drink it, or shoot it, you don't want to carry it.". I'm sure you'd eventually have to carry the damn thing.

But even if it was a couple guys carrying several hundred pounds of food or ammo to relieve a squad that you couldn't get to any other way...who knows. The applications are many and its not exactly something they'd be handing out to everyone.

I do see this as a first step towards an actual walking robot that keeps up with the soldiers.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.