PDA

View Full Version : Advertising in Space

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/11/russia.space.ap/index.html

This will get all sorts of debate going if it ever flies. My impression is that it will be a series of satellites that will 'spell' out the name or ad by arranging themselves in sequence.

x x x x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x x x x

And you'd see that as bright points of light and still see the stars.

Don't know if I'd want to see that though. Especially if you get a lot of them or something you find offensive.

D

wordmunger
Mar 11, 2004, 08:57 AM
I've seen this idea before--can't remember where. Obviously it's a horrible idea. Pollution on an outrageous scale. It would be cheaper (and equally appalling) to spray-paint your ad on the Grand Canyon.

iGav
Mar 11, 2004, 09:02 AM
Microsoft to use this for the next major release of Windows then... heheh

Impressive, if they can get Satellites to positioning themselves with the necessary accuracy.

I read somewhere about them doing something with the Moon and projecting ad's onto the surface that would be viewable from Earth, although I'd be suprised if they could ever pull that off.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 11, 2004, 09:17 AM
Microsoft to use this for the next major release of Windows then... heheh

Impressive, if they can get Satellites to positioning themselves with the necessary accuracy.

I read somewhere about them doing something with the Moon and projecting ad's onto the surface that would be viewable from Earth, although I'd be suprised if they could ever pull that off.

Back in HS a couple of friends and I sat down and started doing the math on what it would take to graffiti the moon. Put down a thin layer of colored dust. How much it would take. The cost of lifting the weight etc. What would be a good source of different colors.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 11, 2004, 09:21 AM
This will get all sorts of debate going if it ever flies. My impression is that it will be a series of satellites that will 'spell' out the name or ad by arranging themselves in sequence.

Don't know if I'd want to see that though. Especially if you get a lot of them or something you find offensive.

D

Imagine the troubles there would be with people hacking satellite controls or with different people putting up satellites that interfere or add to what others say.

It would be like the hand dryers in men's room. I have yet to see one that doesn't say "Push butt, rub hand under arm" I saw it scratched into one with pictographs.

wordmunger
Mar 11, 2004, 09:27 AM
Imagine the troubles there would be with people hacking satellite controls or with different people putting up satellites that interfere or add to what others say.

It would be like the hand dryers in men's room. I have yet to see one that doesn't say "Push butt, rub hand under arm" I saw it scratched into one with pictographs.

Well, of course in this case there'd be international agreements, licensing rights for space-ads. Otherwise Pepsi would constantly be placing ads into lower orbits than Coke's ads, thus obscuring the Coke ads.

Eventually the entire sky could be parcelled out with advertisements. Perhaps someday these could be programmed to interact with the viewing tastes of the people below, so when the satellites are orbiting over Russia, the ads could be for Stolichnaya, and then when they cross into U.S. territory, it would switch to Jack Daniels. Isn't technology great? ;)

edesignuk
Mar 11, 2004, 09:49 AM
I seem to remember hearing a while ago about plans to project adds on to the moons surface with laser beams. Imagine seeing a giant Nike tick accross the moon :eek:

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2004, 09:56 AM
Putting something on the moon that you could read would be very difficult with out using a telescope. This reflective satellite idea is much easier.

Also, imagine getting a whole cluster of satellite to mimic a lcd screen in color (possible, but its too expensive right now) and you'd be able to play ads in space. Crazy to think that it could ever happen though......

D

Josh
Mar 11, 2004, 10:07 AM
Thats very cool and futurisitc. Would be neat....but...

I dont know about you, but when Im enjoying a romantic evening with my girlfriend watching the stars, I don't want "New AOL 12.5!!" to be any part of that...

MongoTheGeek
Mar 11, 2004, 10:42 AM
Thats very cool and futurisitc. Would be neat....but...

I dont know about you, but when Im enjoying a romantic evening with my girlfriend watching the stars, I don't want "New AOL 12.5!!" to be any part of that...

What about an add for Trojenz?

Josh
Mar 11, 2004, 10:45 AM
What about an add for Trojenz?
haha that would be funny.

Especialy if the satelite displayed a different add to different people based on their location, mood, situation, activity, etc...lol.

Next thing we know, some rich guy is going to use sattelites as a way to propose to his future wife.....

wdlove
Mar 11, 2004, 11:25 AM
I would be against the use of advertising in space. Want to see an unobstructed view of space.

Josh
Mar 11, 2004, 11:37 AM
Since there would have to be many sattelites fairly close together to make the "image"....

what happens when space debris hits one, sending it crashing into another, which sends several of them spiriling off path and knocking others off path, eventualy sending a ton of them off their oribit and hurling towards Earth?

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2004, 11:41 AM
I would be against the use of advertising in space. Want to see an unobstructed view of space.

This would be unobstructed, but it would just happen to have a few brighter stars in a constellation that stood out a little brighter than the background stars.

Actually, probably a good amount since you'd want it to be seen at night in an urban environment....

Here's a mock up....

D

Josh
Mar 11, 2004, 11:55 AM
lol I did a photochop of it too when I showed it to the guys at newtiburon.com forums.

Sorry it doesnt display the image (I uploaded it to another forum, then deleted it from my pc)

click here to see it (http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1537&stc=1)

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2004, 12:01 PM
But what's yours supposed to be?

D

Josh
Mar 11, 2004, 12:07 PM
Pepsi logo.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2004, 12:23 PM
Pepsi logo.

ah....I get it now....

that's an awful lot of satellites, though :D