PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Tunes In to Digital Music

MacBytes
Mar 11, 2004, 09:59 AM
Category: Tunes
Link: Starbucks Tunes In to Digital Music (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040311105939)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

RHutch
Mar 11, 2004, 10:48 AM
The article says that prices will be comparable to iTMS pricing, but then says that the price will be $6.99 for 5 songs (which is the minimum purchase). That works out to about $1.40/song vs. $0.99/song on iTMS. 40% more does not seem comparable to me. And $12.95 for an album vs. $9.99 on iTMS: 30% more. I understand that a CD and case come with the purchase at Starbucks, but that doesn't account for what I consider to be a huge difference in price.

Also, the article made no mention of which format the music would be in, but I'm betting on wma. Would customers be able to copy the Starbucks CD as many times as they like?

Too many important details are missing from this article. The ones that are there are misleading or untrue.

jydesign
Mar 11, 2004, 11:18 AM
This seems a bit foolhardy for Starbucks. They've already felt the sting of straying from their core market in the past.

They offer online music purchasing right now don't they!? I mean, they have a lot of wifi stores at which I could bring my iBook and buy music from iTunes music store. Why reinvent this wheel -- Digital music really IS becoming the next bubble isn't it?

Hey Starbucks, I'd be more concerned with outfits like Dunkin' Donuts selling gourmet coffee starbucks knock off products for cheaper cost. Not sure another proprietary confusing analog customized music service is the best approach to a value add...

Photorun
Mar 11, 2004, 11:46 AM
Kinda funny. Starbucks tried it's own magazine with little success, a line of "coffee inspired" music (jazz), CDs that sat and collected dust until they got red sale stickers, now this, tisk tisk.

winmacguy
Mar 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
The article says that prices will be comparable to iTMS pricing, but then says that the price will be $6.99 for 5 songs (which is the minimum purchase). That works out to about $1.40/song vs. $0.99/song on iTMS. 40% more does not seem comparable to me. And $12.95 for an album vs. $9.99 on iTMS: 30% more. I understand that a CD and case come with the purchase at Starbucks, but that doesn't account for what I consider to be a huge difference in price.

Also, the article made no mention of which format the music would be in, but I'm betting on wma. Would customers be able to copy the Starbucks CD as many times as they like?

Too many important details are missing from this article. The ones that are there are misleading or untrue.

The bit that I am curious about is the HP part of the deal although they do say that they will be using HP CD burners. It just seems strange that they are doing a deal with HP and not doing it usiing iTMS.

ALoLA
Mar 11, 2004, 01:53 PM
MacDailyNews posted an update to their link to this article citing a WiFi News article suggesting that a version of iTunes may be used for this venture. Here's the link to the WiFi article:

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/003054.html

wordmunger
Mar 11, 2004, 01:57 PM
Kinda funny. Starbucks tried it's own magazine with little success, a line of "coffee inspired" music (jazz), CDs that sat and collected dust until they got red sale stickers, now this, tisk tisk.

I don't know. I'm often sitting in a Starbucks and hear a song I like. It'd be pretty cool if there was an easy way to get it onto my computer, right then.

jydesign
Mar 11, 2004, 02:03 PM
MacDailyNews...

>(However, since HP is the partner, and is reselling their own version of the iPod, itís possible that the ultimate digital delivery system will be a version of the iTunes Music Store.)

But WHY would anyone need a "version" of the iTMS. If you walk into any wifi joint now you can use your only-shippping version of iTMS TODAY! Is this Starbucks hoping to cash in on reluctant technophobes? Do they think that people are too scared to use the current version of iTMS because it has no pictures of mermaids on it? Have they considered the amount of time your average Barista is going to have to spend hawking tech support instead of grinding them beans? Just what I need - a version of iTMS with the Starbucks logo downloading to my HP branded iPod...

gwangung
Mar 11, 2004, 02:55 PM
But WHY would anyone need a "version" of the iTMS. If you walk into any wifi joint now you can use your only-shippping version of iTMS TODAY! Is this Starbucks hoping to cash in on reluctant technophobes? Do they think that people are too scared to use the current version of iTMS because it has no pictures of mermaids on it? Have they considered the amount of time your average Barista is going to have to spend hawking tech support instead of grinding them beans? Just what I need - a version of iTMS with the Starbucks logo downloading to my HP branded iPod...

It's branded with the Starbucks logo to present a unified "Starbucks experience."

Sabenth
Mar 11, 2004, 07:38 PM
and POP went the bubble...... :eek:

stoid
Mar 11, 2004, 08:34 PM
As long as they already have Wi-Fi, I don't see any difference between this and other music services except this one might not be available over the internet.

And you thought Apple was too busy focusing on niche markets. :rolleyes:

JohnGillilan
Mar 12, 2004, 12:45 AM
Haven't music stores/malls tried little self-service stations similar to these with no success?? Anyways -- most StarBucks customers are in and out in a hurry; I can't see people wasting their time with these.

And why do they only serve that tazzo-berry and cream thing only during the summer? It's the only thing I like there . . .

arn
Mar 12, 2004, 12:58 AM
MacDailyNews posted an update to their link to this article citing a WiFi News article suggesting that a version of iTunes may be used for this venture. Here's the link to the WiFi article:

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/003054.html

it's just speculation.... it seems clear that Starbucks obtained rights themselves from record labels so it's pretty clearly not itunes

arn