Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cowboy22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Okay so I went to turn on my Powerbook G4 (Aluminum 1.67GHz Low Res) today and when I plugged it in, I noticied a kind of crackling or popping noise. I unplugged the power adapter and tried again. I knew that my battery was dying before this (could only get about 30 min on a charge). But now I cannot start my Powerbook. Whenever I plug in my power adaptor, there is no green/orange light. However, when I take the battery out, I hear the Powerbook trying to start up (hard drive spin). But then there is nothing but my fans on full blast! They will not stop and there is nothing on the screen. I left it there for a good 5 min and nothing changed! I NEED THIS COMPUTER TO WORK PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboy22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Just to let anyone interested know, I just got back from the Apple Store and they said it was a problem with the DC or logic board (or both). I had it fixed for about $300 and that will fix everything (both DC and logic board).

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Quite an expensive repair for just a $20 part....

If you think you're capable of doing it yourself, you could have went to http://www.ifixit.com to buy the parts and use their excellent guide with pictures and changed it out yourself.

But like you said, you needed it so it probably won't do you no good waiting a few days for the parts to come in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.