Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
As I have stated in a couple of my other posts, I am ripping my CDs as Apple Lossless for digital storage. One thing I have noticed is the ripping speed has been as low as 4x and as high as 14x.

Just curious as to what is causing such a difference in seemingly similar CDs.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
As I have stated in a couple of my other posts, I am ripping my CDs as Apple Lossless for digital storage. One thing I have noticed is the ripping speed has been as low as 4x and as high as 14x.

Just curious as to what is causing such a difference in seemingly similar CDs.

In the Import settings, if you enabled Use error correction when reading Audio CDs, iTunes will vary the import speed quite a bit depending on the quality of your optical drive. On my computer, my optical drive uses the Serial ATA interface, as such even with error correction enabled I get 11-13x import speeds. :)

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
In the Import settings, if you enabled Use error correction when reading Audio CDs, iTunes will vary the import speed quite a bit depending on the quality of your optical drive. On my computer, my optical drive uses the Serial ATA interface, as such even with error correction enabled I get 11-13x import speeds. :)

I leave it unchecked since ~90% of my CDs are very lightly used and in mint condition. Drive is the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846 that shipped with my 2.16 GHz CD MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.