PDA

View Full Version : MacBook = Nightmare

SkippyThorson
Jan 21, 2009, 07:52 PM
My girlfriend got the mid-level white MacBook for college during the student discount in August / September, with the free iPod Touch and Printer. I forget the exact specs on the machine but I assume you all know the one I'm talking about.

Well. She has had a lot of issues with it not wanting to wake up from sleep, not wanting to shut down, freezing, the Finder restarting, apps quitting (mainly Safari), Photo Booth cutting out recording video seconds into starting, the screen flickering when the brightness is turned down, etc. It goes on and on and on.

She took it back to the Apple Store in Syracuse, and the guy she talked to said he didn't want to risk transferring files in risk of transferring a corrupted file(s) along with everything else, and said she would lose everything not backed up, to start fresh.

So she only kept her music and pictures. The rest wasn't needed. With a new replacement hard drive, all the issues still exist, which leads me to believe it's something more electrical within the computer and not software. Off, on, and screen illumination issues don't sound like software.

Instead of getting a runaround from the closest Apple Store an hour away, what should be done? They seemed reluctant to do much, and instead do as little as possible to get her in and out. My call is she needs a new laptop. Ideas?

cellocello
Jan 21, 2009, 07:56 PM
You bought this laptop in September 08? Just take it back to the Apple Store and show them the behaviour. If it's all screwed up they'll fix it.

SkippyThorson
Jan 21, 2009, 07:58 PM
Right, I thought it would be that simple. They seemed hesitant to do any more than replace the drive and see if that fixes things. We're surely going back again.

Indeed it was the one in '08.

cellocello
Jan 21, 2009, 08:03 PM
From my understanding (I haven't had this done myself), they have some tests they can do to check the logic board and the power and everything - get them to check that stuff. Tell them this is where you've isolated the problem.

kastenbrust
Jan 21, 2009, 08:06 PM
Phone Applecare, register your complaint, then book a meeting with a Genius at your Applestore, if the Genius cant fix it on the spot because you registered a complaint they have to provide you with a new laptop.

Bonsai1214
Jan 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
they'll also replace it if its within a certain amount of time.

kastenbrust
Jan 21, 2009, 08:36 PM
they'll also replace it if its within a certain amount of time.

That certain amount of time is 14 days, and his is 4 months old which equals 120 days!! :rolleyes:

cellocello
Jan 21, 2009, 08:55 PM
That certain amount of time is 14 days, and his is 4 months old which equals 120 days!! :rolleyes:

I think they'll replace it within a year (if a replacement is warranted). 3 years if you buy Apple Care.

Vulcan
Jan 21, 2009, 09:06 PM
I think they'll replace it within a year (if a replacement is warranted). 3 years if you buy Apple Care.

3+ repairs, you can then claim a replacement.

kastenbrust
Jan 21, 2009, 09:10 PM

3+ Repairs all of which have to be completely seperate faults, and all of which have to have been caused by Apple (i.e. manufacturing defects etc).

weezercleaver
Jan 22, 2009, 10:11 AM
Nothing to do with this topic but CUSE represent! I have always recieved good service from the Syracuse apple store (Carousel center) maybe you got a bad genious, as noted above I would call Apple care then go back and try to get someone else. :D

WinkWink726
Jan 22, 2009, 10:33 AM

NICE! a Mac Lemon Law! LOL
Does it have to be the same complaint 3x or 3 seperate (but equally annoying) complaints?
Just curious.. :apple:

cellocello
Jan 22, 2009, 10:39 AM
NICE! a Mac Lemon Law! LOL
Does it have to be the same complaint 3x or 3 seperate (but equally annoying) complaints?
Just curious.. :apple:

I don't think that 3 repairs rule is hard and fast (in fact, I hadn't really heard of that before this).

If the computer is boned up enough, they'll just replace it. And I imagine if you keep coming back with problems, they'll just replace in that case too.

Consultant
Jan 22, 2009, 10:52 AM
Bring it back.

Tell them you already had the harddrive replaced and the OS reinstalled.

SkippyThorson
Jan 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
Nothing to do with this topic but CUSE represent! I have always recieved good service from the Syracuse apple store (Carousel center) maybe you got a bad genious, as noted above I would call Apple care then go back and try to get someone else. :D

Actually same here - I forget his first name, but Mr. McGraw (not Tim) was very helpful when I had my iPhone replaced from a discolored screen and stuck pixels. The refurb was pristine and to this day is just fine - it took him all of 5 minutes via appointment to get me on my way. He also had a lot to tell me about the MacBook Air when I asked. Very friendly and knowledgeable. I generally get great results from there.

A buddy of mine picked up the wired keyboard and was out in 10 minutes. Someone asked what he wanted the instant he walked in, walked over to the shelf, and brought it to him so he could just get in line. The store may be 50 square feet or so, but the fact that the girl did that for him just shows the little extra they'll do.

It seems she just found someone on an off day. I wouldn't have expected the results she got. Within the first couple hours of it being home, sleep and screen issues reappeared. Eh. So they'll get a visit soon - I wanted to see the Air again anyhow. :)

danvan21
Jan 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
Apple replaced my trackpad 3 times and then on the 4th they gave me a new machine. I was very happy, but i never when into a store because i like dealing on the phone. I think they are more likely to help you out on the phone than in the store. Applecare phone service is the best. I hate XBOX and Wii support.

weezercleaver
Jan 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah just go back I am sure it will all work out, especially on the mac's 25th anniversary! Plus you get to see the AIR again, along with all the other changes happening to Carousel..uh i mean destiny USA:)