Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Hey all, I've got a MacBook (black, bought June 2008) and I'd like to buy a USB TV tuner for it. Not looking for anything fancy, just want to be able to watch some of the basic channels through my computer. I've seen some pretty cheap ones ($30-50) but they're all Windows only - are there any similarly-priced Mac alternatives that fit the bill?

(Alternatively, does anyone know how much memory is needed for the Windows tuners to run well? I use Vista in Parallels, Mac has 4 GB RAM so I can allot a decent amount to Windows, if the TV tuner isn't too memory-intensive)

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
I use EyeTV DTT and it is great. BUT the OP is in the US (I think), is it available over the pond? Do they have digital over the air broadcasts?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
most (if not all) stations are already broadcasting digital, the Feb. date is for the turn off of the analog signal

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
most (if not all) stations are already broadcasting digital, the Feb. date is for the turn off of the analog signal

Exactly.

I don't know of a station around here that isn't digital. Pretty sure all have already switched. The transition is only a month away as it is! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.