edesignuk
Jan 22, 2009, 07:56 AM
http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html

quagmire
Jan 22, 2009, 08:56 AM
Didn't know Heath Ledger was an actress. :p

Abstract
Jan 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
I'm genuinely surprised Wall-E didn't get a nomination for any major awards by any group this year. I don't think they would win any of them, but I think it was certainly a top 5 film. :o

mkrishnan
Jan 22, 2009, 09:15 AM

He did wear a dress in the role. ;)

I have not seen Benjamin Button, and had really wanted to do so. I need to bug my g/f to go see it. :)

Blue Velvet
Jan 22, 2009, 09:18 AM
The Curious Case of Forrest Gump (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d76506803/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump-from-fgump44) (video)

mkrishnan
Jan 22, 2009, 09:21 AM
The Curious Case of Forrest Gump (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d76506803/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump-from-fgump44) (video)

LOL that's really funneh. :)

iAthena
Jan 22, 2009, 09:26 AM
Out of all those I've seen Dark Knight (twice), Kung Fu Panda and WALL-E. I guess I just don't see Oscar quality films very often.

Abstract
Jan 22, 2009, 09:38 AM

Haha, pretty clever.

A bit off topic, but it brought to mind the clever spoof of The Shining (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf7h6o3I8yw) trailer.

mkrishnan
Jan 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
A bit off topic, but it brought to mind the clever spoof of The Shining (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf7h6o3I8yw) trailer.

That, sir, is a veritable classic. :)

Melrose
Jan 22, 2009, 10:13 AM
Wall-E should have swept.
I present a cynical, realistic look at our nominees:

Throw an Oscar at Heath for the obvious reason;

Penelope's already got one so pick somebody else's name from the hat;

Let Meryl have one more just because she's awesome;

Shoe-in Frank Langella, mostly out of recognition for his career;

Overturn the headliners Frost, Milk and Benjamin and give it to the low-budget Slumdog;

Give the Director nod to Fincher because it's so cool to tell Brad and Cate what to do;

Kung-Fu and Bolt were stupid - give another one to Pixar (partly to make up for NOT having been nominated for BP);

Screenplay & Adapted Screenplay go to In Bruges and Doubt, just because one sounds funny and the other hasn't been mentioned yet;

And there's only one foreign film on the list. Even if it wins, does it really count?

mkrishnan
Jan 22, 2009, 10:20 AM
Overturn the headliners Frost, Milk and Benjamin and give it to the low-budget Slumdog

Slumdog really was a fantastic movie (and in its own way, I think, was actually an even better rendition of Forrest Gump to watch in 2008/2009). And it never smelt low budget. It's very deserving, and I hope it portends more US-India movie collaborations.

A.R. Rahman, alongside MIA and everyone else who collaborated with him on the soundtrack, also did a fabulous job. Granted, using Paper Planes was a bit obligatory, but it did fit the scene perfectly. :D

obeygiant
Jan 22, 2009, 10:25 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/23k3vbd.jpg

Tropic Thunder all the way! :cool:

laserfox
Jan 22, 2009, 02:20 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/23k3vbd.jpg

Tropic Thunder all the way! :cool:

I totally agree. Easily the funniest movie of the year, and Robert NAILED it!:D

Rt&Dzine
Jan 22, 2009, 03:48 PM
The only one I've seen is Slumdog Millionaire. Thought it was great except there was a shift in about the last 15 minutes that bothered me. It changed from an almost documentary-like movie into a predictable hollywood-type movie right near the end. Otherwise, it was fantastic.

MacNut
Jan 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
Is Benjamin Button just an attempt to get Brad Pitt an Oscar. Is that the only reason it is nominated, not because it is a good movie.

EricNau
Jan 22, 2009, 04:14 PM
I should start watching these movies, so I can better "Predict the 2008 Oscars." Based on last year's competition (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=437346), I could sure use the help. :o

tjcampbell
Jan 22, 2009, 06:25 PM

Sorry, it was a quick copy and paste from sky news.

blackfox
Jan 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
While no expert - I will be severely disappointed if Rourke doesn't get the Oscar for his work in the Wrestler. His performance, imho, was awesome.

Nadav
Jan 22, 2009, 09:25 PM
Very dissapointed that Doubt was not nominated for Best Picture. After seeing all of the movies nominated for that category (except for The Reader), I feel that Doubt was the most deserving. Slumdog Millionaire was enjoyable, but the ending was horrid, and Benjamin Button should not be on that list. Milk and Frost/Nixon were great, but I don't think either film deserves to win the award.

I really have to see The Wrestler soon, although I'm not a fan of Mickey Rourke. I hate to delay watching a movie until it comes out on DVD, it just isn't the same experience.

irmongoose
Jan 22, 2009, 11:25 PM
The OP's list is incomplete... can someone fix this?

As for the nominees... I'm glad Slumdog has received so much attention. Really, it's good to see that Indian-esque films can be appreciated globally. Gives me hope, too, as an Indian filmmaker.

The one that topped the list, though, is The Curious Case..., which I have yet to see. Looking forward to it.

irmongoose

badzy
Jan 22, 2009, 11:53 PM
Slumdog Millionaire is a way better than Benjamin Button..know what, some times i think that the judges in Oscars are too biased

laserfox
Jan 23, 2009, 08:32 AM
I plan to see Slumdog Millionaire and My Bloody Valentine:eek: this weekend whoo!

Rt&Dzine
Jan 23, 2009, 10:26 AM
Off topic but . . . I still think Lynch should have gotten the Oscar for Mulholland Drive. I've always wished I could film my dreams. The dream portion in that film (most of the movie) is as close as I've ever seen to an actual dream.

suburbia
Jan 24, 2009, 08:23 PM
Didn't find Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker particularly awesome or inspiring, but I'm sure he will be honored for his last role. I found Aaron Ackhart's Two Face much more engaging...

iJohnHenry
Jan 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Slumdog Millionaire is a way better than Benjamin Button..know what, some times i think that the judges in Oscars are too biased

Doh, do ya think?? :rolleyes:

irmongoose
Jan 25, 2009, 07:13 AM
In case anyone's wondering: Benjamin Button is a horrible movie. Just... awful.

Also went and saw Revolutionary Road. It's been almost completely ignored by the Academy, but I'd go far as to say it's the best film of the year - by far. Watch it.

irmongoose

xUKHCx
Jan 25, 2009, 07:56 AM
Slumdog really was a fantastic movie (and in its own way, I think, was actually an even better rendition of Forrest Gump to watch in 2008/2009). And it never smelt low budget. It's very deserving, and I hope it portends more US-India movie collaborations.

A.R. Rahman, alongside MIA and everyone else who collaborated with him on the soundtrack, also did a fabulous job. Granted, using Paper Planes was a bit obligatory, but it did fit the scene perfectly. :D

Wasn't it more like a UK-India collaboration. But yes it was a great film and I loved hearing MIA on the sound track.

In the last week I have been to see these great films:

Hunger - Absolutely brilliant film about Bobby Sands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands)'s et.al Hunger Strike in 1981. This is a must see film for anyone interested in IRA or in general. (This is not a new film so not for Oscars)

Waltz with Bashir - Very topical subject matter and done so in a very clever way. The film is about the Sabra and Shatila massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre) of 1982. Very hard hitting but throuoghly worth it.

Slumdog Millionaire - Was sitting about 5 rows from the front for this one (with incorrect glasses on) but a great film. The telling of the story and the relationships between the characters was great.

The Wrestler - Loved this film, I want to go and see it again. Rouke played the roll superbly and should take the oscar.

I am going to see these two films tonight and tomorrow:

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex - About the Red Army Faction fromt he late 60-70s. Will be able to judge this agasin Waltz with Bashir for the Best foreign language film (not that I have seen the others though).

Lemon Tree - A view at daily life for those who live on/near the Isreali / Palastine border.

I have no interest in seeing Benjamin Button especially since BV posted that link. Ever time I see a trailer I just can't help but think Forrest Gump.

I have also got these films lined up to see in the very near future:

Frost / Nixon - recently listened to the original interviews that came free with the Independant.
In Bruges - Everyone I know who has seen this absolutely loves it.
Milk - Only seen the trailers.

tjcampbell
Jan 25, 2009, 12:41 PM
The OP's list is incomplete... can someone fix this?
irmongoose

Done.

mkrishnan
Jan 25, 2009, 02:10 PM
Wasn't it more like a UK-India collaboration. But yes it was a great film and I loved hearing MIA on the sound track.

Yes, you're right, sorry, although I guess it's even more remarkable in that... it was written and produced by Brits, filmed and starred in by Indians, and backed up by Americans (Fox Searchlight and WIP). It actually also opened in the US before it opened anywhere else (ironically, India was essentially the very last place it opened, although the Indian film establishment was very supportive of it and numerous Indian producers spoke in great praise of it, and India generally sees it as a tremendous opportunity for Bollywood to be recognized abroad). So in a way it was very much a trilateral endeavor. Which is exactly the sort of thing I think is wonderful.

puckhead193
Jan 25, 2009, 09:29 PM
i saw slumdog millionaire tonight... fantastic movie, but very sad to see how bad some parts of the world are. I was shocked on how violent the movie was... i wasn't expecting the whole eye scene coming when they were at the "orphanage". But i really enjoyed the movie. An older couple left early after the eye scene saying they didn't like it.

mkrishnan
Jan 26, 2009, 07:06 AM
i saw slumdog millionaire tonight... fantastic movie, but very sad to see how bad some parts of the world are. I was shocked on how violent the movie was... i wasn't expecting the whole eye scene coming when they were at the "orphanage". But i really enjoyed the movie. An older couple left early after the eye scene saying they didn't like it.

See, now this is exactly the one thing I do not like about the movie. The whole point of the movie is that the series of circumstances in which he finds himself are exceptional. These things happen. But they do not happen frequently or on a regular basis. His whole contention to the police was that, had not this unlikely series of events happened to him, he would never have been able to answer the questions on the gameshow.

How long ago was it that a European man was found to be keeping his daughters imprisoned in a dungeon? If you walk away from this movie thinking there are a dozen kids having their eyes gouged out by gangsters on a daily basis in Mumbai, then that's just xenophobia and not reality.

numbersyx
Jan 26, 2009, 07:11 AM
No Dark Knight despite it being one of the best pieces of entertainment for many a year. Oscar nominations have gone back to being the artsy only awards.

Abstract
Jan 26, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I think most people loved The Dark Knight, and not just because Heath Ledger died. That's the shame, really. In the future, people are going to see it as the movie he died making, not necessarily because it was bad ass.

chaosbunny
Jan 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
When Cathrine Zeta Jones got an Oscar some years ago the award became irrelevant for me.

Apple Ink
Jan 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
When Cathrine Zeta Jones got an Oscar some years ago the award became irrelevant for me.

You know.. you do make a strong point though..

Tom B.
Jan 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
Off topic but . . . I still think Lynch should have gotten the Oscar for Mulholland Drive. I've always wished I could film my dreams. The dream portion in that film (most of the movie) is as close as I've ever seen to an actual dream.

I totally agree. I just watched it for the first time last week and it is my new favourite movie.

EricNau
Jan 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I think most people loved The Dark Knight, and not just because Heath Ledger died.
However, I believe most enjoyed the Dark Knight purely because of Ledger's performance as The Joker, whereas the movie itself was rather uninteresting. It would be for that reason that Ledger was nominated and the movie was not.

MyDesktopBroke
Jan 27, 2009, 07:27 AM
Wall-E should have swept.
Kung-Fu and Bolt were stupid - give another one to Pixar (partly to make up for NOT having been nominated for BP);

Both KFP and Bolt were predictable and somewhat unoriginal, but nether were bad movies. I agree Wall-E is a throw-in for the award, but at least they didn't nom Delgo, Fly Me to the Moon, Space Chimps, or Igor.

Melrose
Jan 27, 2009, 08:53 AM
^^ Bolt wasn't that bad, really - I agree (for a run of the mill animated movie); It's just neither had the message, the quality of animation and the endearing characters of Wall-E.

it5five
Jan 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Also went and saw Revolutionary Road. It's been almost completely ignored by the Academy, but I'd go far as to say it's the best film of the year - by far. Watch it.

irmongoose

Revolutionary Road is incredible. That is really my one big disappointment with the nominees this year, the absence of nominations for that movie.

No Dark Knight despite it being one of the best pieces of entertainment for many a year. Oscar nominations have gone back to being the artsy only awards.

Aren't the Oscars supposed to recognize movies based on their artistic merit?

The Dark Knight is overrated. It was a good movie, sure, but there are at least a dozen movies this year that were better and more deserving of nominations/recognition.

Melrose
Jan 27, 2009, 06:10 PM
Aren't the Oscars supposed to recognize movies based on their artistic merit?

The Dark Knight is overrated. It was a good movie, sure, but there are at least a dozen movies this year that were better and more deserving of nominations/recognition.

FTW. I think Iron Man was better.. mebbe I'm just being dumb but Downey is a better actor than Bale, and Gary Oldman is always the same anyway. I'm not saying Dark Knight wasn't good in it's own right, but not remarkable I wouldn't say and overrated; I do think the sensationalism the media placed on it surrounding Ledger's death helped popularize the film, sadly..

Time Clock
Jan 28, 2009, 02:59 PM
I think that the Dark Knight was one of the best pictures of the year and not just because of the late Heath Ledger's performance. I think the cast put in some of the strongest performances that I've ever seen. Unfortunately, everyone was overshadowed by Ledger. I think that Oldman or Eckhart should have received more attention than they did. The last scene with Oldman and Eckhart in particular really was amazing.

It sucks that WALL-E only was nominated for Best Animated Film. It deserved much more than that. But since the Academy came up with the BAF award, there really was no doubt as to where it would land.

On another note, I thought it was great that RDJ got nominated for Tropic Thunder. I think that he was the best actor this year (when you look at Iron Man and Tropic Thunder as whole) and it's good to see him recognized for his work.

SpaceMagic
Feb 7, 2009, 04:29 AM
I just saw Slumdog Millionaire last night. It was quite possibly the best film I have seen in a long long time. Was just perfectly filmed, great story, inspiring, heart wrenching and romantic. I came out of the cinema/theatre exasperated having taken in so much.

I already doubt the Oscars (they often give awards to pretty pants films), but if Slumdog doesn't win something, I will doubt them further.

tjcampbell
Feb 7, 2009, 08:54 AM

Damn straight! Nolan was robbed. It should have been up for best picture, director and screenplay.

It was the highest rated film of the year!

Abstract
Feb 7, 2009, 12:11 PM
In case anyone's wondering: Benjamin Button is a horrible movie. Just... awful.

Agreed. Saw it last night. Horrible. It was like Forrest Gump, but crappier. I really didn't feel anything for BB like I felt for Gump.

Agreed again. Revolutionary Road really should sweep. Instead, it'll get almost nothing.

I'd also like Slumdog Millionaire to win a few of the major awards.

iCantwait
Feb 8, 2009, 05:39 AM

ok,
RDj = SEX ON LEGS
RDj = Always has been the best actor of all time - and in TT
RDj = kick ass comeback over the last few years
RDj = ALIVE

Abstract
Feb 8, 2009, 09:10 AM
I didn't realize Benjamin Button had 13 nominations!!! :eek: It deserves nothing, except perhaps the award for Best Costumes or the equivalent. :confused:

I also saw Frost/Nixon recently. Incredible. The actor who played Nixon really deserves the award. My stepfather said he nailed the part, and really did get all the mannerisms down.

irmongoose
Feb 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Abstract: I like how Jon Stewart phrased it (http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=217664&title=intro-slumdog-millionaire) a few days ago when Dev Patel from Slumdog was a guest on the Show.

13 nominations. Yes. I'll tell you why exactly it has so many. And I'm not being cynical here... don't tell anyone now... the studio has invested a **** ton of money into this movie.:eek:

irmongoose

mattniles007
Feb 8, 2009, 12:44 PM
Del Torro getting snubbed for Che is a shame.

Rt&Dzine
Feb 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
I totally agree. I just watched it for the first time last week and it is my new favourite movie.

It's the Wizard of Oz revisited.

A Mac Gamer
Feb 12, 2009, 04:54 PM

I agree, this movie surprised me, it was extremely well done.

leekohler
Feb 12, 2009, 08:18 PM
I've seen a lot of the Oscar movies this year. I have yet to see Revolutionary Road, Slumdog and Doubt. I'll be skipping Benjamin Button. It looks completely stupid. I've liked most of what I've seen this year quite a bit though, I must say.

EricNau
Feb 12, 2009, 08:25 PM
Most on my list to watch are Doubt, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Wall-e, and Slumdog Millionaire. ...I'd better hurry up!

I'll be skipping Benjamin Button. It looks completely stupid.
Agreed.

leekohler
Feb 12, 2009, 08:27 PM
Most on my list to watch are Doubt, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Wall-e, and Slumdog Millionaire. ...I'd better hurry up!

Get your butt moving! :)

EricNau
Feb 12, 2009, 08:34 PM
Get your butt moving! :)
I'm certainly going to try!

...Really, I'm never going to make it. :o Maybe I should just wait until after the Oscars to find out which films are worth seeing. :D

leekohler
Feb 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'm certainly going to try!

...Really, I'm never going to make it. :o Maybe I should just wait until after the Oscars to find out which films are worth seeing. :D

Well, Milk and Wall-E most certainly are worth seeing.

Sol
Feb 12, 2009, 09:01 PM
Another dull list for picture of the year. Frost/Nixon?! Give me a break. Did anyone even watch that?

Is there any reason good comedies and action films get snubbed by the Oscars all the time? They may not have been high-concept like The Curious Case of ZZZZZZZZZZZZ but The Dark Night, Iron Man and Wanted were all well made, well acted and most importantly entertaining. The same goes for Baby Mama, Pineapple Express, Step Brothers and Tropic Thunder.

As for Del Torro being snubbed I suspect it is because Hollywood is too concerned about accusations of leaning left with a movie about a socialist hero. For other political reasons W. and Valkyrie got snubbed too.

jecapaga
Feb 12, 2009, 10:05 PM
I haven't seen Frost Nixon, Rev. Road, The Reader. I was really surprised at how great Slumdog was. I left the theater really liking that experience. The Wrestler I loved. Doubt...impeccable acting everywhere. Benjamin Button..the whole time I was thinking what is this...Forrest Gump with even more CGI and not even close to as good. Weak imo. Will check out The Reader this wknd.

jonbravo77
Feb 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
I have seen Frost/Nixon and while I am typically not interested in movies like this (my wife wanted to go see it) I was actually surprised on how good it was. There were defiantly a lot of slow moments but it never seemed to be a slow movie if that makes sense. Was captivating in weird way. Not sure how else to describe it. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie besides the fact you have to see Matthew McFadyens butt... :eek: