PDA

View Full Version : Client Poked my Screen...damage?

FriedPotatoes
Jan 22, 2009, 11:07 AM
So today, I was showing my client a draft version of the long awaited project I've been working on with my recently purchased unibody macbook. He was making a few points, then *smack* and pokes at my screen:eek: It wasn't really hard, but I am pissed. Does anyone know what material macbook screen is made of? It is easily scratchable? And does the above action kill the screen in a short/long run? Is there any way I can check for possible damage?

Doesn't look like any damage from my untrained eye, but I might be wrong:confused:

shady825
Jan 22, 2009, 11:08 AM
Its glass covering the screen!?
If he didnt break the glass I would assume your ok

My mom does this all the time. On my old dell you could see the colors going all 'trippy' cause she was pressing so hard. I always would tell her YOU DONT NEED TO TOUCH MY SCREEN!

Sun Baked
Jan 22, 2009, 11:10 AM
Unless he cracks the glass, there isn't going to be any damage with the new MacBooks with that glass front.

Sort of a shield for the people that poke screens.

Before, you'd be able to massage the screen and play with the electronic surface -- but not any more.

jshelton
Jan 22, 2009, 11:11 AM
He poked it...with his finger?

It is made of glass. I doubt it caused any damage. That must of been an emotional poke for you to be worried about damage. :D

Blue Velvet
Jan 22, 2009, 11:11 AM
An epic Doctor Q production (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97967) just for historical and nostalgic purposes. Different tone in the forums then, perhaps.

Consultant
Jan 22, 2009, 11:12 AM
Have a keychain laser pointer for him to use next time?

uicandrew
Jan 22, 2009, 11:13 AM
So today, I was showing my client a draft version of the long awaited project I've been working on with my recently purchased unibody macbook. He was making a few points, then *smack* and pokes at my screen:eek: It wasn't really hard, but I am pissed. Does anyone know what material macbook screen is made of? It is easily scratchable? And does the above action kill the screen in a short/long run? Is there any way I can check for possible damage?

Doesn't look like any damage from my untrained eye, but I might be wrong:confused:

is yours a unibody? if so, then you have the glass cover to protect it.

If not, then i'd say hopefully your client doesn't have too long of fingernails. My screen has been poked a couple times. any nothing has come of it.

plinden
Jan 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
An epic Doctor Q production (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97967) just for historical and nostalgic purposes. Different tone in the forums then, perhaps.

Just yesterday I demonstrating something (twice) to QA folk here at work, and each time one of them dragged a big greasy finger across not only my external monitor, but my MBP's screen. It took great restraint not to scream "DON'T TOUCH MY SCREENS!"

When they were gone I dug out that microfiber cloth that comes with the MBPs and scrubbed them down.

Sun Baked
Jan 22, 2009, 11:18 AM
Same thing we said before in the previous poked my screen.

Lick two fingers and poke their glasses.

They'll have to run and clean smudges off their glasses, while you wipe the smudges off your Mac.

Or if that doesn't work, roll up a newspaper and smack them in the nose while forcing them to smell the dirty fingerprints they left on the screen. Bad doggy ...

cogsinister
Jan 22, 2009, 11:21 AM
I say to my kids "It's not a touch screen............so don't touch the screen !!!!"

I hate fingermarks on the screen..........at least with the glass covering cleaning is easier.......

shady825
Jan 22, 2009, 11:23 AM
....at least with the glass covering cleaning is easier.......

I also think the glass shows fingerprints easier too..

cogsinister
Jan 22, 2009, 11:27 AM
I also think the glass shows fingerprints easier too..

You are right, in fact i am cleaning mine now............i sneezed on it..........

shady825
Jan 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
You are right, in fact i am cleaning mine now............i sneezed on it..........

Do you take the battery out as recommended?? I always do! My luck I'd static shock it or do something terrible to it.

cogsinister
Jan 22, 2009, 11:30 AM
Do you take the battery out as recommended?? I always do! My luck I'd static shock it or do something terrible to it.

Nope.........damp cloth, good wipe round, then polish off with my old t shirt........

shady825
Jan 22, 2009, 11:31 AM
Nope.........damp cloth, good wipe round, then polish off with my old t shirt........

While its on!? :eek:
haha! Id be worried to wreck somethin

cogsinister
Jan 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
While its on!? :eek:
haha! Id be worried to wreck somethin

Yeah, i'm not messing about turning it off...........

shady825
Jan 22, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, i'm not messing about turning it off...........

Yea I always turn mine off when I clean the screen. Im pretty sure I read somewhere thats what your 'supposed' to do..

cogsinister
Jan 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
Yea I always turn mine off when I clean the screen. Im pretty sure I read somewhere thats what your 'supposed' to do..

I am a bit of a "Rebel"

NewMacbookPlz
Jan 22, 2009, 12:08 PM

I don't even know what to say, other than I think you may have blown this a touch out of proportion. (Yes, pun intended)

shadownddust
Jan 22, 2009, 01:52 PM

ewwwww

Crash1234
Jan 22, 2009, 01:53 PM
If you can't see any damage and you're looking closely for it that must mean there is no damage. But ugh, i hate screen pokers. My dad is like this, idk, can't seem to help himself. I won't let him get anywhere near my electronics anymore.