Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
It's been 25 years since the famous "1984" commercial aired during Super Bowl XVIII, two days before the release of the first Macintosh on January 24, 1984. This commercial was an allusion to George Orwell's novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four, so the timing of the release couldn't have been better.

Unfortunately, there was no follow-up titled Two Thousand Nine to coincide with a new advertisement.

With the date of this milestone just days away and Super Bowl XLIII right around the corner, would anyone like to speculate on whether or not Apple will air another commercial during this year's event, and if so, what will the theme be?

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Not going to happen. Companys are to cozzy with the Goverment now.

With this election costing 800Million Dollars for Obama's Side, These donors want something back for there money.:eek:

Seems someone got theres back, With the selling of the rights to air Obama's party. Your tax dollars built those Buildings, but it seems you have to pay to see it.:confused:

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Wasn't there I rumor about this last year? Not really up to searching for it, but I thought I remembered reading something about this last year.

JNB

macrumors 604

With this election costing 800Million Dollars for Obama's Side, These donors want something back for there money.:eek:

Seems someone got theres back, With the selling of the rights to air Obama's party. Your tax dollars built those Buildings, but it seems you have to pay to see it.:confused:

What does any of that gibberish have to do with a Super Bowl advert?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
They've already posted a list of who the Super Bowl advertisers are this year and I am pretty sure Apple was not on the list. Considering how much everyone spends on those commercials, they want everyone to know that they will be running an ad to maximize attention and eyeballs; not even Apple is "mysterious" enough to not publicize that they'd be running a commercial that cost over $2 million just to air.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
What does any of that gibberish have to do with a Super Bowl advert?

The 1984 add was against Goverment control, if you were old enough to know or even alive. If you were wondering why wall street grew so fast in the 80's, It was the PC/Speedsheet that caused it. They used those two to ruin companys. The Movie "Wall Steet" was based on fact.:rolleyes: Jobs was not happy with his baby being used to destroy, rather then enhance life.:rolleyes: No longer did you need a room full of servers. All you needed was an accounting staff and a box to run the numbers. Hey we can buy\steal this Company and sell the assets, then dump the liablity on someone else.

Know that bussniess and Goverment are so close to each other, I doubt you will ever see adds like that again. Not form a large Company At least.

You should know this COG, at least your website says you are a critical thinker!

Thats the point with this jibberish, Now go in peace my son and read more on it. They still print books.:D

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
The 1984 add was against Goverment control, if you were old enough to know or even alive.

Was it...?

"It is now 1984. It appears IBM wants it all. Apple is perceived to be the only hope to offer IBM a run for its money. Dealers initially welcoming IBM with open arms now fear an IBM dominated and controlled future. They are increasingly turning back to Apple as the only force that can ensure their future freedom. IBM wants it all and is aiming its guns on its last obstacle to industry control: Apple. Will Big Blue dominate the entire computer industry? The entire information age? Was George Orwell right?"

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Was it...?

Goverment needed Big blue back then. To run the Nations accounting bussiness. but that all changed with the Personel Computer. You could now set down with a speedsheet application, and in a matter of days make Millions Buying and selling a Company. never mind the human toll on Jobs lost. Just so I "Get My Share" that was running rampant in those days.

Then Wall Street took all that money they made, and got the laws changed. Now not only could you raid a Company. You can now Raid it, and then ship it oversea's.

The reason the Goverment passed the 3 Trillion dollar Plus "Knowbody really Knows the final cost" on the bill. Could be 58 trillion, cause of credit default swaps, Wall Street was doing.

Oh, by the way. All that money they gave banks for the bailout. The banks just turned around and loaned it back to the Goverment, with a Nice interest attached to it. "No real Money was printed" hence the depression were still in.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

What does this nonsense have to do with anything?

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
What does this nonsense have to do with anything?

You will never see Commercials like that again. And if you did, The velvet hammer would come down on your head.

If you noticed Apple had the best system, but since it was not Political Correct with the Goverment. ie "The 1984 Commercial" Microsoft got a pass to the head of the line. Thats the point.:)

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Back to the original topic; I couldn't find a list of advertisers for this year's Super Bowl, as mentioned above, to confirm Apple's submission of an advertisement. In 2007, they aired the iPhone "Hello" ad. This was after the iPhone had already been announced. If they do release a commercial, I would expect another "Get a Mac" ad, if not something totally different. Without the expectation of a brand new product, I doubt we'll see anything that would give us a hint towards a future device. If anything, I could see a commercial with a theme which encompasses Apple, in general, rather than a single specific product.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
You will never see Commercials like that again. And if you did, The velvet hammer would come down on your head.

If you noticed Apple had the best system, but since it was not Political Correct with the Goverment. ie "The 1984 Commercial" Microsoft got a pass to the head of the line. Thats the point.:)

I think your looking too far into things. The 1984 ad had nothing to do with government. Big Brother was IBM simple as that. And you do see ads like that Apple attacks MS in the I'm a Mac ads.

Hartel

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Portland, OR
I think we will see a new Ad during the Super Bowl. Nothing of 1984 proportions, but something new, perhaps even a new Mac Mini commercial for us who have been waiting for it:p

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
If Apple does an ad during the Super Bowl, I wouldn't expect anything fantastic. Probably an iPod nano spot, and that'd be it.

I'd love to see something new, but it ain't gonna happen.

ChristophK

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Tokyo Bay
It would be nice for us to get suprised by a new apple ad. But, I'm not counting my chickens. Because just like everyone else said, these economic times are killing some companies. Even though apple isn't even feeling near as much hurt as any other company.

You can allways be suprised though.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.