PDA

View Full Version : Folding :Push to pass MacCentral!

Rower_CPU
Jun 13, 2002, 03:25 PM
We're right on thier heels, but they've seen us coming:
http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Lounge&Number=185829&page=&view=&sb=&o=

Let's get some more members and really get those WUs going!:D

Grokgod
Jun 13, 2002, 05:32 PM
Those guys over there are really weird.
Its like going to the alternate Star Trek universe!

There is an anti-Alpha-Tech and Anti ARN.

Their avatars are scarey and its all funny looking colors and stuff.

AND their board can do things we cant like not posting quotes and useing RE instead.... this bears investigation!

kishba
Jun 13, 2002, 05:38 PM
well i joined and my g4 has been running constantly for macrumors but my username doesn't appear on the user stats page when i search... i also doesn't appear under the team details page either...

how long do i have to wait for my "progress" to be shown?

Rower_CPU
Jun 13, 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by kishba
well i joined and my g4 has been running constantly for macrumors but my username doesn't appear on the user stats page when i search... i also doesn't appear under the team details page either...

how long do i have to wait for my "progress" to be shown?

Once you submit a complete WU you should show up...:)

kishba
Jun 13, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Once you submit a complete WU you should show up...:)

argh... how long does that take? it's been running for nearly 12 hours now.... i suppose i'm just super impatient but come on... this is a g4? ain't it altivec enhanced?

Rower_CPU
Jun 13, 2002, 05:49 PM
argh... how long does that take? it's been running for nearly 12 hours now.... i suppose i'm just super impatient but come on... this is a g4? ain't it altivec enhanced?

This version is not Altivec aware, but the next one should be.

Time per WU depends on what protein it gave you...some take more than a day.

kishba
Jun 13, 2002, 06:03 PM

This version is not Altivec aware, but the next one should be.

Time per WU depends on what protein it gave you...some take more than a day.

thanks... any clue on when the next version is due out? altivec enhancement would push us over the edge!

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 13, 2002, 06:24 PM
kishba that folding control app some others mentioned is very cool. it runs the terminal app, but doesnt require you to eneter code or have the terminal open. heres what it looks like (warning if you use it and quit your current terminal app, you will lose all your 12 hours of progress, since the folding control app will downlaod a new protein)

kishba
Jun 13, 2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
(warning if you use it and quit your current terminal app, you will lose all your 12 hours of progress, since the folding control app will downlaod a new protein)

eh oh well... i'll start over again... it will be worth having this control so my parents realize my computer is doing something and don't turn it off :)

thanks

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 13, 2002, 06:43 PM
thank j763 hes the one who told me about it (and notice it has support for dual processors if tahts your cup of tea... although if i had a dual system i think id run foling on one and seti on the other)

also for seti people out there one of the seti threads has info on a similiar app for the seti terminal app.

kishba
Jun 13, 2002, 06:46 PM
well my thanks to j763... this app rocks

now i just need to find tons of computer to keep this running on!

buffsldr
Jun 13, 2002, 07:18 PM
Maccentral doesnt want to be beaten by a team with a member called "JelloShotsRule". Awesome. Rock on Jello.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 13, 2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr
Maccentral doesnt want to be beaten by a team with a member called "JelloShotsRule". Awesome. Rock on Jello.

i own those bitches.

ps. check out that thread now.

Rower_CPU
Jun 13, 2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i own those bitches.

Now that's the spirit I'm looking for!:D

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 13, 2002, 09:36 PM
got to love the lead guys name though. thats just cool. i tried signing up for an account but they woudlnt let me in for some reason. and all i wanted to do was chat with polymerase

jelloshotsrule
Jun 13, 2002, 09:40 PM

Now that's the spirit I'm looking for!:D

well sure.

i was ready to get a bit more explicit and fun than i did, but oh well. no need to cause too much trouble. ha

Rower_CPU
Jun 13, 2002, 09:47 PM
'lemon-
If they let jello in they'll let anyone in:p ...must be a glitch in their system.

jello'-
No need to get them too pissed off since they have like three times the membership as our team...but they're obviously less organized.:)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 13, 2002, 09:49 PM
'lemon-
If they let jello in they'll let anyone in:p ...must be a glitch in their system.

jello'-
No need to get them too pissed off since they have like three times the membership as our team...but they're obviously less organized.:)

oh, thanks dirtbag

yeah, well i don't much care if we beat em or not. i was just shocked to go there and see my name. hahaha. ahhh.. easily amused.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 13, 2002, 09:53 PM
jello how did you register?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 13, 2002, 09:58 PM
clicked "new users" or something at the top from the link in this thread.

put in a name and email address. got the password in an email a second later.

not TOO much hacking involved. ha.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 13, 2002, 10:06 PM
ive tried several times with different email addresses and they never send the pass.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 13, 2002, 10:08 PM
that's weird. i got mine right away. like literally checked right away and it was there.

i assume you've used all types of addresses, ie hotmail, yahoo, etc. a variety of providers...?

that's weird. i guess you could try to contact an admin there if they let you...?

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 01:20 AM

i own those bitches.

That was an awresome reply. :)

Sorry to join late, but 1mm spaced mini-jumpers are a bitch to find. We'll have some more processors to add to the team come this weekend, from me and da new MR folding boyz.

Keep up the good work, everyone. Our team is one to be proud of for such few members.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 14, 2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
That was an awresome reply. :)

Sorry to join late, but 1mm spaced mini-jumpers are a bitch to find. We'll have some more processors to add to the team come this weekend, from me and da new MR folding boyz.

thanks..

explain to us laypeople (ie, non nerds) what the 1mm spaced mini jumpers is all about? i'm lost. and my nerd pills just ran out... gotta get the new subscription filled..... doubling up the dosage to keep up with you guys.

j763
Jun 14, 2002, 04:44 AM
OMG!!!!! That polymerase person is so stupid... I feel a poll coming on :D

polymerase
Jun 14, 2002, 07:53 AM
Trying to sneak up on us? I got vodka/lime jello shots chillin' in the freezer as we speak. WU's to be cranked this weekend.
The only thing MR will catch is our dust.

The giant is awake. :p

neye_eve
Jun 14, 2002, 10:14 AM
well thanks!

got to love the lead guys name though. thats just cool.

I've been shutting off computers. this weekend I'll activate about 10 or so. It will just be delaying the inevitable, but que cera, and all that,

neye :)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 14, 2002, 10:29 AM
just so you guys know, it's a bit lame to steal the idea to get onhere and joke around.

that and the fact that it's some dumb thing, so if you spend too much time worrying about winning, you will probably miss out on something much better. like anything really.

welcome to macrumors though.

Unregistered
Jun 14, 2002, 11:34 AM
just saying "hi". Any problems with that?

Rower_CPU
Jun 14, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by polymerase
Trying to sneak up on us? I got vodka/lime jello shots chillin' in the freezer as we speak. WU's to be cranked this weekend.
The only thing MR will catch is our dust.

The giant is awake. :p

Goliath may be awake, but David already has the stone in his sling...

Yesterday we were 200 points back...today we're around 100 points back...let's see what happens tomorrow.;)

polymerase
Jun 14, 2002, 12:21 PM

Yesterday we were 200 points back...today we're around 100 points back...let's see what happens tomorrow.;)

Down to a 93.6 gap. You could cut the tension with a knife. ;)

If you pull ahead Sunday enjoy the view from on top. Monday a few more CPU's kick in.

We'll be Bach.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 14, 2002, 12:32 PM
i have a feeling both teams are going to suddenly rocket ahead of the competition.

(of course ive been working on a single protein for 48 hours now and still havent finsihed a WU to date)

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 12:36 PM
I'm adding at least 2 more into the processor pile.

You won't get us w/o a fight. :)

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 12:40 PM

thanks..

explain to us laypeople (ie, non nerds) what the 1mm spaced mini jumpers is all about? i'm lost. and my nerd pills just ran out... gotta get the new subscription filled..... doubling up the dosage to keep up with you guys.
These are smaller jumpers than the ones that you use for master/slave/cable select on HD's. There mostly used for setting SCSI ID's and settings. But in this case, I used them to OC a beige G3 from 300-400Mhz.

Here's a pic of it clocked to 366Mhz.

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 12:43 PM
Sorry about the double post, it won't let you attach on edit.

An extra 100Mhz of folding power! Notice the vioded warranty. :eek:

Tiauguinho
Jun 14, 2002, 12:50 PM
We are going to kick their a@@!!!!!!!!!!! Lets go Team!!!!

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
We are going to kick their a@@!!!!!!!!!!! Lets go Team!!!!

Shouldn't that be a$$? Also, FYI, this board doesn't censor ass.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 14, 2002, 12:54 PM
hahaha. wow quite the enthusiasm.

i think a united mac front might be a good idea. so WHEN we catch you guys how about a merger?

[polymeraase, i assume you are into molecular genetics. we named our new 933 g4 sequencher machine polymerase. the old bw g3 is named taq. where do you work?]

Unregistered
Jun 14, 2002, 01:01 PM
http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=polymerase&Number=187840&Board=Lounge&what=showflat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&part=1&vc=1

Tiauguinho
Jun 14, 2002, 01:04 PM
mc68k

Ooopppssss.... LOL

Thanks for the correction!!!

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 01:06 PM
hahaha. wow quite the enthusiasm.

i think a united mac front might be a good idea.
It is a good idea, but what about the current WU? They'd all be "lost". But it's cool to have more mac teams in the top 100 to augment the [H]ard people and such (even though I OC myself, albeit on macs :))

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 14, 2002, 01:21 PM
the current units would be lost? i thought the units go where the people go. so if we all joined a MacAddict/MacRumors team all our units would come with us? (if i ever get my unit done!---40%)

neye_eve
Jun 14, 2002, 01:24 PM
I'd be cool with a merger. I think a 2000 WU/week team would be pretty rockin! The downside, I suppose, is that I'd have to find all the computers that I have running it and change the -config settings ;)

Though I wouldn't care much, I'd guess that there would be some contention about the name. Is it possible to change a team's name (so as to merge the two)?

neye

polymerase
Jun 14, 2002, 01:42 PM

It is a good idea, but what about the current WU? They'd all be "lost". But it's cool to have more mac teams in the top 100 to augment the [H]ard people and such (even though I OC myself, albeit on macs :))

I agree. It would be better if a majority of the top 100 teams all started with "Mac" or "Macintosh". If we combined, one set of WU's would be left behind, or worse with a new name they would all be left behind. I say we battle it out and see who gets to the top 50 first.
But remember, no wagering. :)

You can say "a$$" here? Really? Ass! You're right! That was fun.

mc68k
Jun 14, 2002, 01:58 PM
the current units would be lost? i thought the units go where the people go. so if we all joined a MacAddict/MacRumors team all our units would come with us? (if i ever get my unit done!---40%)
No, a WU is only associated with a single WU/user. So we'd have to start from scratch.

It's not like we hate MC, we just want to have some healthy, friendly competition. :)

j763
Jun 15, 2002, 07:48 AM
Let's get those 5 score WU's back... There's only 13.3 Score in it.

Some advice for the MacCentral ppl: Join us instead... I mean, you're going to be pushed out of the top 100 soon, you may as well...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 15, 2002, 11:32 AM
i've got 3 units that should be done today. then, starting more.... ha

keep it up folks.

Rower_CPU
Jun 15, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by j763
Let's get those 5 score WU's back... There's only 13.3 Score in it.

Some advice for the MacCentral ppl: Join us instead... I mean, you're going to be pushed out of the top 100 soon, you may as well...

Actually their weekly output is higher than many teams in the top 100, so they'll probably settle in around 40th.

If we stay at our current rate, we'll end up around 25th, so let's keep those members coming!:)

kishba
Jun 15, 2002, 12:59 PM
i wish i could leave more computers on at my house... my parents are angry with me leaving my g4 867 on all night already... luckily i left my coworkers pc on doing this for the weekend... it may finish one unit (it's a PIII 500... think it will finish a unit in 3 days?)

also my g4 is almost 75% done with its first protein... i restarted a new protein when i downloaded the folding control client

i'll find a way to hook up more machines if i can

there's gotta be a way to get some more members... where are all the demigods?? they (usually) post every hour... just think if eye had folding running on his laptop.... :)

Rower_CPU
Jun 15, 2002, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the demi-Gods (besides Beej, jelloshotsrule and myself) haven't taken much interest in the whole Distributed Computing thing.

Oh, well. As long as we get some new members who are completing WUs on a regular basis we'll be doing just fine, regardless of whether they're contributors to the site.:)

mc68k
Jun 15, 2002, 01:18 PM
i wish i could leave more computers on at my house... my parents are angry with me leaving my g4 867 on all night already... luckily i left my coworkers pc on doing this for the weekend... it may finish one unit (it's a PIII 500... think it will finish a unit in 3 days?)
From the FAQ:How long does it take to finish a work unit? How do you measure a work unit?

This varies, of course, on the speed of the computer and the size of the protein under study. Depending on the protein and the property studied, different size work units may be used. In general, a 400 MHz Pentium III can finish a unit in about 24 hours, although some units are shorter. also my g4 is almost 75% done with its first protein... i restarted a new protein when i downloaded the folding control clientMake sure that YOUR username and team # are in the prefs for Folding Control, otherwise your work goes to MacAddict4Life!

I've got a WU coming in in a few straight from my s900. Next time, I'm running this from the console, w/o Aqua overhead.

kishba
Jun 15, 2002, 01:21 PM
to make sure my name/team are in my prefs i just put them in the "user info" tab right?

i certainly hope i didn't do all this work just to help another team...

mc68k
Jun 15, 2002, 01:24 PM
to make sure my name/team are in my prefs i just put them in the "user info" tab right?

i certainly hope i didn't do all this work just to help another team...
Yes, that's all. A team member of MacAddict4Life wrote it, so of course the default would be their team.

The user info is only referenced when sending in WU's, so just make sure your name's in there.

polymerase
Jun 15, 2002, 04:33 PM
i wish i could leave more computers on at my house... my parents are angry with me leaving my g4 867 on all night already... luckily i left my

I feel like I am consorting with the enemy but pitch the scientific value to your parents. The folding your computer does might be the key to Alzheimers. Ask them if they have forgotten where their car keys were lately. ;) And the information that comes from the folding project is not just for clues for that one particular protein. They are looking for the rule book for protein folding. The book may be enormous because of the folding possibilities but every clue can illuminate all unknown proteins. There are a lot of 'em.

Set your energy saver to shut the screen down after 20 minutes and your hard drive. Then your computer is burning far fewer watts than (insert night-light here if you want to fib a bit).

ps. Alzheimers makes you forget what the car keys are for but if they have asked that question lately the folding program isn't going to help.

MacRumors: you haven't caught MacCentral yet!

kishba
Jun 15, 2002, 06:25 PM

thanks for your suggestion but they also complain about the noise... and if it's noisy it must use lots of energy!! (sarcasm, please)

and we'll catch up to you one day !!!

polymerase
Jun 15, 2002, 06:31 PM

and we'll catch up to you one day !!!

I having nothing to do but smell my fathers day Osso Buco cook so I have been checking the numbers.

You might catch is in ONE day. :o

Rower_CPU
Jun 15, 2002, 07:28 PM
I having nothing to do but smell my fathers day Osso Buco cook so I have been checking the numbers.

You might catch is in ONE day. :o

You guys have definitely upped your output...kudos!

Nothing like somebody breathing down your neck to get you motivated.;)

Give us a couple days...Monday at the latest.:D

Beej
Jun 15, 2002, 08:08 PM
OK there's probably something like this already in these forums, but I can find it, so please forgive me...

I run CLI SETI full time. I'm more than happy to help out with folding... so I run it as my screeensaver. I have a G4 933 and it's seriously taken 200+ hours to get through my current WU... I read something about running SETI and Folding at the same time, and they said that the CLI versions of the two should work together fine. Just wondering if that means the screensaver version might not work well?

I've run top... SETI and folding each share around 1/2 of the CPU.

If I can't run the screensaver version (which I won't do after I finish my current unit) is there anything similar to SETIdockling for folding? I know of that folding control thing, but hiding it all the time annoys me. (I'm easily annoyed by these kinds of things :))

Also, usinf folding control (or any other al=pp you might suggest) is there any way I can set the nice value for folding like I can with SETI?

Go team folding... we're about to pass mac central. Feels nice beating my old team mates :)

DavidOS
Jun 15, 2002, 08:41 PM

well, now we have.

:D :p

Beej
Jun 15, 2002, 08:44 PM
w00t! Go us! 95th and climbing steadily.

j763
Jun 15, 2002, 08:59 PM
w00t!!!! keep up the good work guys!

kishba
Jun 15, 2002, 09:01 PM
good news guys... i almost have my first unit done!! expect to see my name on the list in less than a day!!!

i'll keep up the pace :)

Rower_CPU
Jun 15, 2002, 09:44 PM
Wow! That happened sooner than I expected!:D

They might jump back in front briefly again, depending on how the WUs come in over the next 12 hours or so...but only temporarily.

Great job everyone...next goal, the mothership!

Apple Computer Inc. is in 64th right now.:eek:

polymerase
Jun 15, 2002, 09:52 PM
We may look right now like something you just rolled over but we'll stick to your shoe and you won't be able to shake us.

kishba
Jun 15, 2002, 09:58 PM
it'd be absolutely hilarious if we beat apple... i'd love it to pieces....

come on!! more members, more units!

rice_web
Jun 15, 2002, 10:07 PM
If I hadn't started my own team for my company, I would join the MacRumors team (maybe). Whatever the case guys, it's the research the really counts (the competition is just an added bonus).

TeraRWM
Jun 15, 2002, 10:48 PM
Folding@HOME, what would be more fun? Having many Mac OS X teams fight ranking anywhere from 5-500? Or all joining one team and showing those Wintel users who have 'Altivec' power! Join Team Mac OS X, we are a bunch of Mac OS X users that rank 25 and are moving on up! Join the wonders of Mac OS X as one, not many....or whatever...

Rower_CPU
Jun 15, 2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by TeraRWM
Folding@HOME, what would be more fun? Having many Mac OS X teams fight ranking anywhere from 5-500? Or all joining one team and showing those Wintel users who have 'Altivec' power! Join Team Mac OS X, we are a bunch of Mac OS X users that rank 25 and are moving on up! Join the wonders of Mac OS X as one, not many....or whatever...

You guys really need the help to pass up MacAdict4Life, hunh. ;) :p

Altivec won't even be supported until the next version comes out for Mac...:(

Go team MacRumors!

Beej
Jun 15, 2002, 11:47 PM
Oooh.. we could start a OS X/Mac Rumors coalition :)

resm
Jun 16, 2002, 12:03 AM
I joined the folding team some time ago.

About the same time when Beej reported to have password problems after downloading the screensaver version, the same version I used.

I did register under macrumors team.

After finishing one unit (after about 12 hrs) it just restarted with the same unit (same unit name was indicated)

When I stoped and restarted, it started at 0 again.

Besides I encountered serious slow down on my system so thats when I deleted everything.

I had it running on my iMac 800 on cable so that would be a good setup to do something useful.

So, if somebody could guide me trough a proper and simple setup (something like Macs for Dummies style) then I would be more then eager to try again.

Sorry....I know the links and info have been posted here before but always in bits and pieces.

I think if we could get the whole package in one go, inclusive links and how to send back a unit when finished and where can we check if we are included in the macrumors team and team status, more people would be willing to join.

From that instruction we could make a link whenever there is a newbie who would like to join.

maybe even make a new thread:

"how to join he folding team...for dummies" :D

j763
Jun 16, 2002, 12:06 AM
we'll stick to your shoe and you won't be able to shake us.

I've always thought of you as something that I might accidently step on (in a park for example) and can't get off my shoe.

mc68k
Jun 16, 2002, 01:01 AM
About all this merging talk, it'd be nice to join forces, but it's really counterproductive-- each WU has it's own username/team. So the best we can hope for is to have many Mac teams to counter the Windows teams.

Don't get me wrong, joining forces would be cool, but we can't just leave our current work behind. Especially with the output of those Windows teams. We'd never catch up.

So let's just stay with our current teams and hope for the top 40.

BTW-- Good work everyone. If we could get just 1 WU from most regulars here, that'd be awesome (even though we'd have to train them most of them :))

I would LOVE to see a united mac front against a united Windows front.

teabgs
Jun 16, 2002, 02:16 AM
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the demi-Gods (besides Beej, jelloshotsrule and myself) haven't taken much interest in the whole Distributed Computing thing.

Oh, well. As long as we get some new members who are completing WUs on a regular basis we'll be doing just fine, regardless of whether they're contributors to the site.:)

Personally I am interested...I just dont think I'll get anything done with my 6500....:rolleyes:

When I get my new tower after they're released in July I will sign up. I just feel like My entire computer would crash if I tried to use folding and do anything else at the same time.

Is it possible to pause a WU? cause if so, and its compatible with my old machine....I'll sign up now.... later all

Rower_CPU
Jun 16, 2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
Personally I am interested...I just dont think I'll get anything done with my 6500....:rolleyes:

When I get my new tower after they're released in July I will sign up. I just feel like My entire computer would crash if I tried to use folding and do anything else at the same time.

Is it possible to pause a WU? cause if so, and its compatible with my old machine....I'll sign up now.... later all

To answer your question, and resm's-

The best "user-friendly" folding app out there seems to be the Folding Control app by the MacAddict4Life team. You can download it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14331&db=mac

It will download the CLI version to your machine and give you a GUI to control it, allowing you to pause WUs and see a % complete readout.

Make sure you change the user info to your username and the MacRumors team id: 3446. Otherwise your points will go to the MacAddict4Life team.

resm
Jun 16, 2002, 03:53 AM
ok....thanks :)

I'm in.....so where do I go later on to see if I exist in Cyberspace and what do I have to do when one unit is done ?

mc68k
Jun 16, 2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by resm
ok....thanks :)

I'm in.....so where do I go later on to see if I exist in Cyberspace and what do I have to do when one unit is done ?
Work units automatically download to your computer and are automatically sent bak when you are done.

To see if you exist in cyberspace, look at our team page here. (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage.detailed?q=3446) After you current work unit is sent, it will take a few hours for the server to update and display your info, so be patient.

The time it takes to complete a WU can be from less than a day to ~3 days depending on the value in points of your WU. If they give you one that takes a long time it will be worth 5 points, and if it takes no time it'll be worth <1 point.

teabgs
Jun 16, 2002, 11:15 AM
ROWER: that link was for OSX um, dont know if you caught this but....my machine is a PowerMac 6500....uh, its preG3...uh, no OSX...so, is there an OS9 version? and if so can I pause it?

Rower_CPU
Jun 16, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
ROWER: that link was for OSX um, dont know if you caught this but....my machine is a PowerMac 6500....uh, its preG3...uh, no OSX...so, is there an OS9 version? and if so can I pause it?

D'oh! Sorry, man, no OS 9 client...otherwise mc68k and I would have another 30 or so CPUs running right now.:mad:

You might want to check with mc68k about running X on unsupported machines...if you're interested.:)

teabgs
Jun 16, 2002, 11:42 AM

D'oh! Sorry, man, no OS 9 client...otherwise mc68k and I would have another 30 or so CPUs running right now.:mad:

You might want to check with mc68k about running X on unsupported machines...if you're interested.:)

well, I would be interested except for the fact that my computer beign as old as it is has a 4GB HD....big back then :D

I have an external 4GB SCSI HD hooked up, but...

Anyway I'm getting one of the new Towers when they're released so it'll have the most power possible as of the time I get it :D I'll put it to work as soon as I've wiped/partitioned the drives and reinstalled what I actually need...and then get all the customization I want done....

Then as long as Im not using a Processor intensive app I'll keep folding running, the Dual 1.4 Hopefully should crank out some WU's pretty nicely

polymerase
Jun 16, 2002, 02:09 PM

Make sure you change the user info to your username and the MacRumors team id: 3446. Otherwise your points will go to the MacAddict4Life team.

That was a typo. Make sure you put in team ID 3007. Repeat number 'till sleepy, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven.

kishba
Jun 16, 2002, 02:17 PM

That was a typo. Make sure you put in team ID 3007. Repeat number 'till sleepy, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven.

that's an even worse typo!

you know you want to switch to 3446 polymerase...

Rower_CPU
Jun 16, 2002, 02:19 PM
Man, you're persistent.:D

Pay no attention to anyone named after an enzyme, MacRumors faithful.:p

polymerase
Jun 16, 2002, 05:12 PM
Man, you're persistent.:D

Pay no attention to anyone named after an enzyme, MacRumors faithful.:p

We will unleash the forces of helicase, exonuclease, countless palindromic endonucleases, (such as BamH1 sucka), kinases, ligase, hydrogenases, hydrolases, and some mean old oxidoreductase.

Surrender Dorothy. Your little dog too. Switch to 3007 and there will be no bloodshed.

:eek:

ps. my previous metaphor of something sticking to your shoe might be better understood if you think bubblegum. Sticky but not stinky.

Rower_CPU
Jun 16, 2002, 05:21 PM
We will unleash the forces of helicase, exonuclease, countless palindromic endonucleases, (such as BamH1 sucka), kinases, ligase, hydrogenases, hydrolases, and some mean old oxidoreductase.

Surrender Dorothy. Your little dog too. Switch to 3007 and there will be no bloodshed.

ps. my previous metaphor of something sticking to your shoe might be better understood if you think bubblegum. Sticky but not stinky.

How much longer do you think you can hang on?

We're around 100 points up on you guys...if you hold off on all those DP1Ghz machines you supposedly have lying around it'll be too late.;)

Nipsy
Jun 16, 2002, 06:17 PM
I might just join this endeavour to help us eclispe team 80, Russia!

"Former World SuperPower beaten by web site focusing on products which do not yet exist"

Excellent!

mc68k
Jun 16, 2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
I might just join this endeavour to help us eclispe team 80, Russia!

"Former World SuperPower beaten by web site focusing on products which do not yet exist"

Excellent!
We could use your help, every WU counts. Whatever the cause, join our team. It's fun and at the same time doing something useful, with a little bit of copetition.

MacAztec
Jun 16, 2002, 07:29 PM
Should I put SETI or Folding on my computers?

Rower_CPU
Jun 16, 2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec

The diplomatic thing is to do both...but I think it's obvious which one I would want you to do.;)

Congrats on 1000!:)

mc68k
Jun 16, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Depends of what long-term goal is more value to you finding ET or solving certain diseases.

Another thing to consider: the folding team is currently in 91st place and climbing rapidly, while the SETI team has no hopes os making the top 100, even though their ouput is high.

I'm w/Rower, you know which one we want you to join. :)

j763
Jun 17, 2002, 02:28 AM
team #90 -- keep it up guys :D MacCentral aren't going to catch up -- we're over 100 points in front.

Beej
Jun 17, 2002, 03:41 AM
I cranked out my first 5-point unit last night. Took me ages. I've d/l'ed Folding control, and it's motoring along. I should be somewhat more helpful now :)

kishba
Jun 17, 2002, 06:04 AM
it's been at least 10 hours since i finished my first unit and i am STILL not on the stats page for the team or personal.... is there anyway to make sure my unit was sent?

Beej
Jun 17, 2002, 06:09 AM
it's been at least 10 hours since i finished my first unit and i am STILL not on the stats page for the team or personal.... is there anyway to make sure my unit was sent? Give it a day. If you're not up then, start to wonder.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 17, 2002, 07:33 AM

will you also unleash the power of nerd on us? cause we have some pretty big nerds here too just so you know. *cough* *row-dog* *cough*

britboy
Jun 17, 2002, 07:39 AM

*cough* *row-dog* *cough*

Now now. That's what we have the private forum for, remember?

I'm thinking of ditching seti and taking up fah. I've put in almost 300 hours of computing time for seti, and am still nowhere near moving up the table, so i figure i'll jump ship. I've done my part for ET, now i'll put in a bit for 'the other team' :)

IndyGopher
Jun 17, 2002, 07:32 PM
I have 975 SETI units, so there's no way I am going to stop doing SETI until I get to 1000, that will be about noon on Thursday. At that point, I am going to switch to Folding, at least on the computers that are supported. My 1.4GHz Athlon is running OS/2, so it will have to stay with SETI (yes, there's a SETI@home client for OS/2) So anyway, leave a few units for me!

polymerase
Jun 17, 2002, 09:34 PM

will you also unleash the power of nerd on us? cause we have some pretty big nerds here too just so you know. *cough* *row-dog* *cough*

The stuff I type. Sometimes I think. "holy crap I'm a nerd!"
Then I warm up the crack pipe and think, "naaaah." *cough*

ps. delta is 103 and holding.

TypeR389
Jun 17, 2002, 10:38 PM
Man, I have been chewing out Seti units for a LONG time now, wish I would have tried running both. Running both with dual procs is sweet, and my web server is still very responsive at the same time! I will have my 5th WU done tongiht...

mc68k
Jun 17, 2002, 10:40 PM
ps. delta is 103 and holding.
No one watches the stats more than me, I know the delta. The big test will be when school gets back in and output falls, then things'll get interesting.

I'm watching you guys closely, for now. We've got more pledges recently, so that ∆ will hopefully get larger. You guys are good comp though. :)

kishba
Jun 17, 2002, 10:41 PM
ok it's been nearly 1.5 days since i finished my first wu... i'm still not showing up on their site in the user or team stats

i'm using the control app and it did finish a unit. it has the right info too.

i'm frustrated. (well only miildly frustrated ;))

polymerase
Jun 17, 2002, 10:50 PM

... The big test will be when school gets back in and output falls, then things'll get interesting.

School? We're all drop outs over here.:)

Rower_CPU
Jun 18, 2002, 01:35 AM
School? We're all drop outs over here.:)

Unfortunately our students fail to drop out and will be using our machines, taking precious CPU cycles from Folding :rolleyes:. We may actually have to turn our lab off completely, or maybe just scale back to just running the screen saver during downtime.

We're talking 30+ machines here, so a BIG difference in WUs/day.:(

backspinner
Jun 18, 2002, 06:47 AM
We are number 26 in "week total". That is what counts since this means we are realy rising fast. MacCentral is number 37...

mmmdreg
Jun 18, 2002, 07:20 AM
My computers not exactly fast but I have a fat 5-pointer coming your way...

britboy
Jun 18, 2002, 07:27 AM
Damn, this one's slow! I've had it running overnight, and still only 10% complete. Is this normal?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 18, 2002, 07:39 AM
that's normal britboy. glad to see you joining a better cause than et.

also, row-dog's always fair game for my comments. so shut it!

it takes a REALLY long time sometimes to finish one. days often. and the first one tends to be quite slow..

don't cry about it.

Tiauguinho
Jun 22, 2002, 06:09 PM
I'm having fun with this!! It's great to see the progress bar reaching the end, because I know that when it processes a whole WU, I know and feel two things that makes me happy and well... makes me feel pretty good: That I'm helping to find a cure for many diseases by giving my G4 and that I'm contributing to our team, it's our team, our MacRumors Team!!!

I'm very proud of these two things...

... I'm happy to see us all joining for a very good cause and well for a very good fight with Team Maccentral!!!

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 22, 2002, 07:13 PM
folding control. discussed in this thread a couple pages back.

resm
Jun 23, 2002, 04:57 AM
I have another 5 pointer on the way....should be finished by tonight.

So.....Beej...watch out ! I will be blowing hot air down your neck :D

Beej
Jun 23, 2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by resm
I have another 5 pointer on the way....should be finished by tonight.

So.....Beej...watch out ! I will be blowing hot air down your neck :D Heh... good try :)

I just put in a 5-pointer an hour or so ago! :p:p:p

How about you try and catch me in SETI? Mwhahahaha!

resm
Jun 24, 2002, 06:56 AM
24 Beej 11 4
25 resm 10 2

Beej.....can you feel the hot air ????????? :p

kishba
Jun 24, 2002, 09:34 AM
look who just pushed past Beej AND resm!

mwahhahahah