Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
Well I am now getting through ripping 2 DVD's a night and have got through about 100 of my favourite UK Region 2 films.

Before loading on the other 300 UK films I have around 300 US Region 1 films which I would prefer to add as I rate them higher.

Every one that I have tried to rip I get a red and black error message saying their are some bad sectors and while the film may work it may miss some of the content. This error message is from Mac the Ripper as I use this before handbrake.

Is there a way around this? The message usually comes up after about 20 mins whereas a UK Region 2 film usually take 30-40 mins to run through.

There is a lot of content here that I would like access to so if the wise forum could help I would be greatful.

Thanks

MrCatMan

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Try the European version of HandBrake to do the ripping. Just go to the Handbrake site and you'll get the right one.

And to those who are saying, "Huh?" to this, yes, there are at least two versions of HandBrake. The HandBrake that I downloaded in the U.S.A. wouldn't rip movies that I got while in Ireland, so I had to download it again while I was there. That HandBrake won't rip movies from the U.S.A., so I keep them both. I just renamed one of them "HandBrake European".

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Try the European version of HandBrake to do the ripping. Just go to the Handbrake site and you'll get the right one.

And to those who are saying, "Huh?" to this, yes, there are at least two versions of HandBrake.

I don't think this is correct. Your problem was to do with your DVD drive region setting. The latest Handbrake 0.9.3 now uses VLC for decryption and doesn't rely on the drive region setting I believe. Could be wrong though.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
I don't think this is correct. Your problem was to do with your DVD drive region setting. The latest Handbrake 0.9.3 now uses VLC for decryption and doesn't rely on the drive region setting I believe. Could be wrong though.

I am using the latest version of Handbrake so this confuses me.

I will look to see if their are two versions and try to download the US copy for my Region 1 films.

Thanks anyway

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I am using the latest version of Handbrake so this confuses me.

I will look to see if their are two versions and try to download the US copy for my Region 1 films.

Thanks anyway

You need to download VLC too (which is another app for playing video and which Handbrake needs for ripping commmerical DVDs). Maybe forget MacTheRipper for now and just try Handbrake to rip your problem DVDs.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland

And to those who are saying, "Huh?" to this, yes, there are at least two versions of HandBrake. The HandBrake that I downloaded in the U.S.A. wouldn't rip movies that I got while in Ireland, so I had to download it again while I was there. That HandBrake won't rip movies from the U.S.A., so I keep them both. I just renamed one of them "HandBrake European".

There is only one version of Handbrake. it's possible the region coding was causing problems.

I find the best way to rip a Region 1 DVD in the UK is to use MacTheRipper to create a decrypted (and region-free) version, then use Handbrake to encode that to whatever file format you choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.