Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suzy2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Hi guys,

I've been browsing the threads and I just need a little convincing...

I have a 1.33ghz 12inch Powerbook with 768mb of RAM, my battery lasts for about 20 minutes, I am on my 4th ac adapter (and it is already broken again, I so get why they made them magnetic in future laptops). I am running Tiger... everything works just fine except the embarrassing battery life and unpredictable charging (b/c of the semi-broken power adapter). My question is, do you think fixing this little guy is worth it? Could I get anything if I sold it? I am a grad student and primarily use the computer for writing papers, online research and surfing the web.

Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The 12" has amazing resale value these days. People are paying upwards of $600 for a 12" 1.5, while some get lucky and pay around $400. Think of it this way, being only slightly larger than a netbook you get all the ports your heart can desire, a combo or superdrive (depending upon model) expandable memory and hard drive and a way better keyboard than many netbooks around. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest, but I'd take a 12" PB over a netbook any day of the week.

If you can save it with minimal cost then I would do it. If not, sell it for what it is and let someone else tinker with it.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
The 12" has amazing resale value these days. People are paying upwards of $600 for a 12" 1.5, while some get lucky and pay around $400. Think of it this way, being only slightly larger than a netbook you get all the ports your heart can desire, a combo or superdrive (depending upon model) expandable memory and hard drive and a way better keyboard than many netbooks around. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest, but I'd take a 12" PB over a netbook any day of the week.

If you can save it with minimal cost then I would do it. If not, sell it for what it is and let someone else tinker with it.

400? considering the biggest hard drives they were made with was 120 gig and the dismal amount of ram i thinks thats ridiculous. Id pay maybe 100-150?Ebay was going for 250.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
400? considering the biggest hard drives they were made with was 120 gig and the dismal amount of ram i thinks thats ridiculous. Id pay maybe 100-150?Ebay was going for 250.

That's what YOU would pay, but there are people out there who are willing to pay more. The 12" PB has become something of a collector's item. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've closed this thread because requesting valuations for hardware or software is not permitted for those ineligible for the Marketplace forum.

There is some good advice regarding this machine in this thread which is why I haven't deleted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.